Gone Electric

Drumsagogo711

Reaction score
I just picked up a roland TD-3 set that has a extra cymbal and upgrades snare and hi hat. anybody else playing or added a kit to you set?? Bought this mainly to practice on as it has nice features to play with but I might incorporate some of it into my set.

Kevin OConnor

DFO Master
Reaction score
DAGOGO.

I crossed over to the dark side in 1990 with Roland TD 7 kit, and now I also practice with a TD-20 Roland kit. I rehearse with both acoustics and e-drums 8)

dave11772

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember back around '90 or '91 using a Drumkat, Alesis D-4, and various triggers on my acoustic drums. It was a hassle, but when it worked - it was great. When it didn't - well, the bandleader said I sounded like a "bug zapper" :D Also, I found my bass drum would do rolls! haha, But I eventually learned how to tweak all the velocity and sensitivity settings. Then I got tired of resetting triggers and the constant tinkering and went back to acoustic drums. Until recently - I bought the TD-3 with all mesh heads. While it is nowhere near as adjustable as my old-school rig, it is also extremely simple to use, compact, and, for their "lower-end" set, sounds amazing. I'm sure all those bells and whistles are still in their upper-end sets, but for my limited needs it's pretty impressive. I would like to get the mesh bass drum head. Has anyone added that to a TD-3? I'd like to add another cymble pad too.

Rudy Corona

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, could be. But all I know is that buying a good Ekit (Roland TD6) last year was, for me, the best thing I've done for my drumming in 20 years. My playing has improved IMMENSLEY, just by virtue of being able to REALLY enjoy practicing, and being able to anytime. Yep, still need to put the time in on the pad, but for set practice......A+. I plan to take them out on gigs as well, as soon as I get the amplification situation in hand.

blkcortex79

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Kevin O said:
DAGOGO.

I crossed over to the dark side in 1990 with Roland TD 7 kit, and now I also practice with a TD-20 Roland kit. I rehearse with both acoustics and e-drums 8)

Kevin, I love the way you put that! I too crossed over about 1995, also to the TD-7 (which I still have but will be selling shortly). The main reason I got the eletronic set was because I was living in an apartment and it was great for practicing. The other benefits I discovered over the years was how well they recorded when tweaked properly. I have recorded a fair number of original tracks and have gotten many compliments (most people don't know they are not acoustic). They are great for Home recording set-ups where you are limited on the number of mic inputs. (I only take up 2 channels)
I recently upgraded to the TD-8 with Hart Dynamics mesh pads , but I plan to upgrade to Roland pads.

I look on the electronics as a compliment to my acoustic equipment but use them for practice and recording. I currently would not consider gigging with anything but acoustic drums.

Dude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a TD-3 kit with the mesh snare until recently too. I sold it (probably going to regret that) but it surprised me in many ways...all good. I guess I'm not much of a practice guy....I just play for fun and don't really work on anything specific. Just learn to play the tunes, I guess. Enjoy the dark side - but like Steve said, you'll be back eventually. The Rolands are great for silent practicing and portability for spontaneous jams / rehearsals for sure. But when it's time to gig, you'll be loading in with an acoustic kit I am sure.

Kevin OConnor

DFO Master
Reaction score
blkcortex79 said:
Kevin O said:
DAGOGO.

Kevin, I love the way you put that! I too crossed over about 1995, also to the TD-7 (which I still have but will be selling shortly). The main reason I got the eletronic set was because I was living in an apartment and it was great for practicing. The other benefits I discovered over the years was how well they recorded when tweaked properly. I have recorded a fair number of original tracks and have gotten many compliments (most people don't know they are not acoustic). They are great for Home recording set-ups where you are limited on the number of mic inputs. (I only take up 2 channels)
I recently upgraded to the TD-8 with Hart Dynamics mesh pads , but I plan to upgrade to Roland pads.

I look on the electronics as a compliment to my acoustic equipment but use them for practice and recording. I currently would not consider gigging with anything but acoustic drums.

John,

As a drummer since 1973, and the drummer's devil's advocate, It took a great deal of convincing for me to buy e-drums in 1990. My epiphany occurred during a trip to the Sam Ash in Paramus, New Jersey, I could not believe how great the TD 7 Roland kit sounded! During the last three or so hours, I've intermittently posted and played Pearl drums as well as Al Adinolfi's Boom Theory drums! The Boom Theory drums are acoustic with piezocrystal triggers mounted in the shells! I alternate between e-drums and acoustic drum, but I favor acoustic drums! I have gigged with the e-drums and nobbody noticed 8)
http://www.boomtheory.com/page4.html

NashvilleGull

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
:shock:
Err, isn't this an OT thread? I thought this forum was for drums. Like MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS drums. Roland, Simmons, triggers, etc.. are not drums. They are electronic devices that trigger pre-recorded sounds of other real drums. That's kinda the long way around, ain't it guys?
Please, please forgive my old-school rant, but I can't take it. Please, somebody move this thread to the Roland forum with all the other electronic "instruments". Stop it.

p.s. the first guy who posts MIDI transcriptions to a Rush song... ah, nevermind. Flame on. :roll:

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
A little tangent. I have been working on finger playing, from Jo Jo Mayer's DVD. The good bounce you get from hard rubber pads works really well with those techniques. I don't like the bass drum sound though, and the crash cymbal is always the same volume. Ace

Latest posts