Gonna Try Veneer

Rock Salad

Reaction score
I'm gonna try make a mahogany veneer on a 12×14 to match with the rest of my kit which is raw oiled mahogany (vertical grain.)

20191114_202006.jpg

Any tips welcomed!
Thanks

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not a huge project and you should be able to get a nice solid result with a little patience. Have you sourced your veneer? If you have not, I would look for veneer with a backer, raw flitchs present a totally different set of obstacles and require much more precision. A paper or wood backer will work fine, but again, unless you have the tools dont start with raw veneers.

All of these are veneer jobs I have done over maple shells (save the walnut drum and it is over a single ply walnut shell). Several of us here can answer any questions, but my starting advice is in the veneer selection... look for something with a backer in place!

20180927_172306 copy.jpg20170415_160857 copy.jpg20180502_065108 copy.jpg20170528_232000 copy.jpg

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Thanks guys!
Yeah I read Franke's and jccabinets' posts here. Very helpful.
Here check it out.
After:
20191118_110015.jpg

The slightly red-er tint is probably due to the veneer being newer and fresher than the old ones.
20191118_104935.jpg

I am glad I did it. It is close enough for Rock & Roll. Undecided if I will sand the others to a fresh face or just patiently wait for the new one to fade.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Thanks brother!
Two things: it took more glue than I thought it would and it is easy to trim off excess so make em long.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Nothing feels better than nailing a good veneer on a shell.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That looks great. I wouldn't try to freshen up the other drums. Your new job blends in fine just as it is. Let it age on its own.

Just for reference, where did you buy your veneer, and what type did you use? Backed?

GeeDeeEmm

Rock Salad

Reaction score
That looks great. I wouldn't try to freshen up the other drums. Your new job blends in fine just as it is. Let it age on its own.

Just for reference, where did you buy your veneer, and what type did you use? Backed?

GeeDeeEmm
I got it at Woodcraft. It's mahogany no backing, came in strips about 6" by 36". Cost $16 or 18 I think.

Old Dog

Reaction score
The shells look great. Nice work.

I picked up a snare shell from ChampagneDrum out of Canada. Had them put a Bubinga veneer on the birch shell. Looking forward to finishing that up this winter.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
The shells look great. Nice work.

I picked up a snare shell from ChampagneDrum out of Canada. Had them put a Bubinga veneer on the birch shell. Looking forward to finishing that up this winter.
Knock em dead with it! My finish was so much easier just oil and wax. But you gotta match, luckily that's all mine had on them.

Old Dog

Reaction score
Knock em dead with it! My finish was so much easier just oil and wax. But you gotta match, luckily that's all mine had on them.
That's exactly what I'll be doing. Got a paste wood polish/wax and I'll start with Watco Danish oil. That's what I used on my first build.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Yes. I applied the glue to both surfaces and let them dry to touch where the glue was still slightly opaque and wet underneath here and there (aproximately 5 minutes.)Then, I ironed the two together with a thin piece of cloth (an old scrub shirt) on the veneer to protect from scorching and make the surface smooth for the iron using the setting just below the steam settings. As an added precaution I wrapped the whole thing with ace bandage overnight before trimming and sanding etc.
If you do a search here and on youtube there is lots of info on this and other techniques and how to make your seams (crucial). I did not do the step of flattening out the veneer since I figured the heat from the iron and the moisture from the glue would work it out and it did, but mahogany is soft and fairly evenly grained. It is probably a necessary step with some woods. Plus my drum itself is not any kind of a valuable drum to anyone else but me.
Like I was saying though, this was my first try, it could have been done better. Check out some of the more expert advice available, and Go for it!

Reaction score
Nice job! Great looking tubs
I too, just veneered a huge set of Remo Acousticon shells..Lots of work,but worth it.
Link to other photos

Attachments

Latest posts