Good All Around Cymbal That Could Be Used for Jazz Fusion, Pop Rock

900Z1A

Reaction score
Is there a good all around cymbal that could be used for jazz fusion, pop rock? I have a Zildjian K Constantinople 22" medium ride which I love. Looking for a smaller cymbal.

Considering a Zildjian K Custom Dark 20". Would that be a good choice?

Thanks

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You mean ride cymbal? The K Custom Dark is a good all-round cymbal, but there are so many others. These days, a lot of people play cymbals that are darker (yes) and trashier than those.
WHat sounds do you like? Any recorded examples, or yt videos?

kdrumSTL

Reaction score
My favorite and most versatile cymbal ever was a 20" Bosphorus Antique Light Ride (med. thin) at 2210 grams. It was great for any style, and it worked on either the right or left side. I should have not sold that one :-( The unlathed strip in the middle made it a wonderful blend of bright and dark.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
GO back to Woodstock 1968; listen to all the music played there; then come forward.
The cymbals will reveal themselves the further you go back and as you then, come forward.
Can do the same with jazz go back to armstrong and Clarke and come forward
and see and watch how and what cymbals were used.

You can't stand in 2020 look around and say 'where do I start?'
You have to See how it all arrived here

By knowing yesterday you'll understand better what you are looking at today.
there's no better way.

Rick

Reaction score
Is there a good all around cymbal that could be used for jazz fusion, pop rock? I have a Zildjian K Constantinople 22" medium ride which I love. Looking for a smaller cymbal.

Considering a Zildjian K Custom Dark 20". Would that be a good choice?

Thanks
I just sold my K Custom Dark 20” ride. Great cymbal! I loved it but it didn’t pair well with my other ride, which is a K Con light ride with 3 rivets. That’s the ONLY reason I sold/replaced it. What I replaced it with was a K Con 20” medium ride. Very similar in a lot of ways to the K Custom Dark, but it pairs perfectly with my other K Con. Might be worth considering also...

L300burn

Reaction score
I would go for the 21” K Sweet Ride for me. It is probably the most versatile cymbal I know.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
20" A Zildjian (vintage or modern)
20" Paiste 2002
20" Sabian AA
20" Modern k..just regular K..not constantinople

Top of my list for what you described?
21" Zildjian Sweet Ride. It can cover any style of music

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I can only suggest what I’ve played and I would look into a 21” Sabian Groove Ride, regular finish. Not brilliant.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
If I were to have to pick one....I would start with a Avedis Zildjian small stamp around 2000-2200g, preferably late 50's or early 60's. These cover a LOT of bases.

Mike
Agree. I think everyone should start on Zildjian As. Preferable pre 70s Then go from there if you want. Or stay. 20, 18...20, 20...or 22, 18 sizes for an example. As they say, if you can’t make it happen with those...then there is always the clarinet.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To go with a 22 K con Med? Personally for jazz/fusion & Pop rock, I would look at something on the thinner side, that has a good shimmering crash.

Here's what I would look at in 19-20" size:

-Regular K dark thin crash, or k custom dark
-HHX Complex
-HHX Legacy
-Paiste 602 ME
-602 Classic
-Paiste Masters Dark Crash

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I see now you said 20"...oops

sorry

Wish I had a 20" to sell you..

My paiste 20" medium traditional might do the trick?

Its the one on the left

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Zildjian AA22R. They have smaller ones, too.

Or . . .

One of the latest Sabian HHX thin rides, which sound beautiful on the introduction videos.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Paiste 2002 Ride.
Got mine in 1979 and still use it, even though I've tried a bunch of others.
Works for anything, in my mind - but then I'm used to the sound and know how to play it (bell, body and rim - ride, crash and wash)

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use an early paiste 602 20" ride for all my big band and smaller jazzy bands it works very well a very nice all rounder. It will work well for rock and pop etc also though not heavy metal. I've just purchased and am waiting for a used zildjian K custom medium 20 ride, I had one before I lost it to cash converters ( pawn shop) that I liked also.

Latest posts