Good Book for basic/intermediate ROCK BEATS... FUNKY PRIMER, anybody??

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Howdy all:
I used to teach a lot back in the day and now want to take on a few younger students again. I want to get them into a decent rock book for playing funky beats. Not looking for soloing material.

In the past I used :

FUNKY PRIMER by Dowd

and

DRUMMER'S COOKBOOK by Pickering

Any others you recommend?

Thanks!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rockin' Bass Drum is a great book for beginners, to experts..
As a kid taking lessons, that's the book that made practicing fun, and got my syncopation going.
It's a book with just about every combo of bass/snare combos.
It's written very well. It slowly makes each beat just a little more challenging. It's easy to read, and if the student is having any issues with practicing, thid book should do the trick.
Once the student gets through it, you can than start changing the hi hat patterns that go over it.
Instead of 8th noted, you can go through the book playing 16th's, &'s, 1/4's, 1 & ah...........
I actually am going through that book again now to try and learn to play L footed.
I lost the feeling in my R foot, so I'll spend 1/2 my practice time on a R handed kit, and half on a L handed kit, playing open handed.

toddbishop

Reaction score
Funky Primer is OK, not the best beginner book, and it's sort of limited. I'm not a fan of Drummer's Cookbook-- or most other books. A lot of them have a weird style of notation, or they're unbalanced-- like Drummer's Cookbook just has way too many patterns.

-- Joel Rothman's Mini-Monster Rock Book is decent. Maybe 1/4-1/3 of the stuff in there is also found in Basic Drumming.
-- I've never taught out of Jim Payne's Complete Funk Drumming Book, but it's really pretty good. I may start using it.
-- Studio Funk Drumming by Roy Burns and Joey Farris. Also not a beginner book, but more of a style guide. A few dozen functional grooves with different cymbal rhythms, backbeats only on the snare-- no ghost note stuff. Plus pages on 12/8, New Orleans style, funk samba, reggae, etc.

Mostly I have students learn the first page or two from Dowd or Rothman, and then I get them doing my own rock and funk methods using Syncopation. I have an e-book explaining that rock method in more depth, and some links in the funk post to the other pages that explain the basic thing.

Reactions: Hop

kdgrissom

Reaction score
Rockin' Bass Drum is a great book for beginners, to experts..
I've used this book for decades. Extremely simple, yet versatile in that one is only limited by ones imagination.
It fits my criteria for a drum set text because it's not finite in its approach.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Joel Rothman material. I have several smaller books and also the large tome called, "The Compleat Rock Drummer" which I've been working out of for the past year, about a 1/4 of the way through it, and I've still got a ton of stuff to go through.

Benny Greb's "The Language of Drumming" is pretty good too. The 'alphabet' concept is a pretty good one to get down, then create the unlimited number of combinations/permutations. If you don't like to create/write your exercises the book I mentioned above would have this covered as it has a ton of permutations/variants.

The stuff that Todd has above also looks pretty good. He's got a pretty good system of taking rhythms from material that is well known and applying it to the kit... so this can help your students get the extra mileage from the ubiquitous Ted Reed or Bellson Modern Reading books if the already have them/you teach from them. Plus Todd has got a bunch of other titles, worth giving a look at, that a nicely priced for the student.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've used this book for decades. Extremely simple, yet versatile in that one is only limited by ones imagination.
It fits my criteria for a drum set text because it's not finite in its approach.
I'm glad you've seen, and gone through that book.
I was 13 when I went through it, and I'm still using it as of last night. I actually smiled when I saw someone else has that book.
I also have his Swinging triple book. I haven't taken that out in a while. It's an excellent solo/jazz book for all levels. I should start getting back into that one as well.
Thanks to this forum, a few friends, and lots of very slow tempo's, I'm coming around.
Finally