header.nohb.html

Good book for strengthening my left hand and rudiments?

T_Weaves

Reaction score
Thanks in advance. All my appendages are pretty strong drumming wise with the exception of my left hand. It's "decent" but I'd like to really push to make it better. I'm a rock/funk/soul player who uses matched grip if that helps. Not looking to become a jazzer but rather just to make the left hand better.

Cheers,
Todd

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Stick Control (you Must/Have to have that? the Book the physical page Book (not no virtual whatever thing)
Ok? that'll build it up and.there's rolls ruffs and flams- not laid out like rudiments- but are thru out the later pages (better in some ways) . Old fashioned man! ( was 100 years ahead of its time +/-

Chalmers

Reaction score
From @toddbishop

World's simplest solution to the left hand sucking: get Accents & Rebounds and play these exercises-- accent on cymbal, add bass drum in unison; non-accent on snare drum. Drill for 15 minutes every day for 4-8 weeks, bango, no more weak left hand.

accents-and-rebounds_left-hand.png

(My addition)Left foot playing your choice and for right hand accuracy at the same time, play 1/8’s on ride/accents on bell unisons

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From @toddbishop

World's simplest solution to the left hand sucking: get Accents & Rebounds and play these exercises-- accent on cymbal, add bass drum in unison; non-accent on snare drum. Drill for 15 minutes every day for 4-8 weeks, bango, no more weak left hand.

(My addition)Left foot playing your choice and for right hand accuracy at the same time, play 1/8’s on ride/accents on bell unisons

Thanks for mentioning that. There are some things I do with Dahlgren & Fine that take this further, for developing actually using the LH more on the drum set.

For general conditioning just do the LH lead exercises in Stick Control-- 2x a much as RL ones. Use a mirror and check your technique and stick heights. That doesn't necessarily lead directly to using your left hand more effectively when playing music though.

The solution isn't complicated, but you do have to do it.

jakeo

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm finding Gaddiments is helping - lots of flams really expose my LH weakness. It's getting better.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^

Like Todd said, "using the LH more on the drumset"

Someone once told me to strengthen the weaker hand, you have to use it 9X more than the stronger hand.

That's a bit excessive. However you DO need to use the weaker hand more, and smarter, to get to the level you want.

1. When you are practicing single hand exercises, start with your left hand, then do your right, and back to the left. Basically using the left hand 2x as much as your right. Practice accents and rebounds and other control exercises to develop BOTH hands while working your weak hand more than your strong hand.

2. When you are practicing hand to hand exercises, Start, and lead with your left hand. This will improve your control. Too many times when you lead with your dominant hand the weak one just follows along and tries to keep up. By switching you will be developing more strength, CONTROL, AND COORDINATION with your weak hand.

3. Try to do a few ordinary day to day, non drum related things, with your weak hand. This will also help build up the skills you want in your left hand.

4. On drumset play open handed with the hi-hat as much as possible to build up your weak hand.

These are just a few ideas that worked for me and some other drummers I know.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tommy Igoe 21 minute Jazz ramp with left hand lead.

Exercises that switch lead between L and R
RLRRLL RLRRLL RLRRLL RLRR
LRLLRR LRLLRR LRLLRR LRLL

Alan Dawson rudimental ritual has tons of these plus enough other complexities to distract you so you internalize it. It's hard and can take years to get good at. But even if you just did the hands, it's great. Igoe Life Time Warmup is kind of a subset and I like that it takes 10 mins or less.

Accents of all types for left hand.
Lllr
lLlr
llLr

Things like Joe Morello, Stick Control variations, and Dom Famularo weaker side book are just too repetitive for me. I can't play something that would take me 20 minutes to do a single page. ...I tried doing the stone killer and similar for years. I hated it and didn't really accomplish much. The rudimental ritual engages the brain a bit more.

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool, thanks fellas.
Practice everything with right and left hand lead. If you have Stick Control, it does it for you.

Practice left hand lead on drum set.

Pick a technique method teacher like Gordie Knudtson or Bill Bachman and work on your technique.

poetman

Reaction score
From @toddbishop

2 questions: 1) are the V symbols accents? 2) what do the brackets in bar 4 & 5 mean?

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
From @toddbishop

An even simpler prescription: "bucks of 3 while you watch TV."
Press play on a show and play 1la li 2la li etc. (Accent tap tap i.e. downstroke tap upstroke) on a pad with your left during the whole episode. When your left gets tired, give it a brief rest with your right and then send the left back into battle as soon as it can manage it.

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"bucks of 3 while you watch TV."

Or anything at all leading with the LH in Stick Control or A&R. It's not mysterious, it just takes doing it.

But for the exercise I suggested, doing it on the drum set, moving to the cymbal and coordinating with the bass drum is the main point of it.

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also curious if the OP has done any of this stuff, and if so, how he has progressed in these three months.

No.15

Reaction score
No
Also curious if the OP has done any of this stuff, and if so, how he has progressed in these three months.
Not the OP but
I purchased stick control almost immediately when I started playing and dismissed it almost as fast as I purchased it. I thought it was too "boring".
Well as I started playing I noticed my L hand was almost useless and after a few months decided to revisit stick control and really dig into it. I do the exercises during commercials when I watch TV. I am noticing a remarkable improvement in my L hand as well as my R hand. It's only been 3 weeks since I got serious about it but the progress I am seeing makes me mad at myself for not doing it from the beginning.