Good brass snares (besides the Black Beauty)

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the BB magic is overrated and way overpriced. Especially considering the gaskets they have to use to prevent lug splay .....Bah !!!!

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
If you can find an older, used, Tama Kenny Aronoff Trackmaster snare pick it up. The older ones had nickel over brass hoops and are fantastic drums.
Hot take, but I think I prefer my Trackmaster snare over my modern Ludwig Black Beauty snare.
Why do you prefer the Trackmaster, is it the sound, or the hardware?

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pork Pie BoB. Or get a World Max shell and parts from DFD and make your own.

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think these drums are underrated. Cost has gone up a bit, but they are great rock and roll snares.

Saladdaze

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sakae Black Nickel over Brass. Great snares for the money if/when you can find one.

nmosko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mapex Persuader! The new black Panther line has some of the finest snare drums on the market. The way Mapex does the edges, the strainer (head and shoulders above anyone else in the industry) and the attention to detail is insane. My personal favorite.

that being said, the Pearl Sensitone, the Dw brass and any Ludwig brass snare other than the BB is top notch as well. You can’t go wrong with any of them.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Sensitone and a Black Beauty, 5 and 6.5 respectively.

Whenever this question comes up, I recommend the Pearl. For starters, my used Sensitone cost 1/3 of what I paid foe my used BB.

Secondly, the Pearl is a seriously well-constructed drum.

Lastly, it sounds great live.

I’m a serious, irrational Ludwig fan boy. Pearl holds absolutely ZERO emotional pull for me.

Yet pre pandemic when I was playing a lot of gigs, the Sensitone saw the most stage time. Sounds good in any setting.
ED61CB8E-D333-4D5E-914A-FAA9D3EC920C.jpeg

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The way Mapex does the edges, the strainer (head and shoulders above anyone else in the industry) and the attention to detail is insane. My personal favorite.
How is the Mapex strainer better than any other on the market? It looks like a less-functional copy of the Dunnett strainer, which isn't particularly a favorite of mine.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Black Panther SledgeHammer. Hearty, punchy, sensitive, dry and cracking. Cuts through anything.

This deal is unbeatable. Drum is brand new.

Amazing strainer with adjustment knobs on both sides.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the Carl Palmer Venus is a great brass snare for the money IF you get the latest model.
Ludwig sure did screw it's rep by shipping a poorly designed throw to begin with.

shrek

Reaction score
I have a Premier model 21 6.5x14 brass snare, however they are quite rare, were made in England from mid 80's to early 90's. Check out the comparison with a Ludwig Black Beauty:

Living Dead Drummer

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha Recording Custom Brass in the 14" x 5.5" size and it's been my go-to snare for the last bunch of years. Studio or Live it can do it all, and many times I get bands, producers, and engineers that always like it better in the studio than any of my other snares.