Good brass snares (besides the Black Beauty)

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do they make brass snare drums that don’t sound good? I’ve never run across one that didn’t have some potential. I’ve tried the cheaper Ludwig Black Magic snares, Worldmax brass snares, Pearl Sensitone brass snares, Pork Pie’s brass snares, and Mapex Black Panther brass snares with no issues at all. Honestly, they all sounded great and looked good too. I’m sure there are “bad” brass snares out there, but I’ve yet to play one. It seems there’s a brass shell out there for every occasion!

My Brass Snare Favorites:
-
- DW Collector’s Brass
-
The DW Collectors brass is another one that doesn't get talked about a lot for a 3mm shell under $600. I know there was a thread a while back on whether or not it's spun/cast or whatever (it's rolled), but if you like the sound of a thicker shell compared to the typical ~1mm this is a fantastic bang for the buck.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
"Splay is just cosmetic"..... Sorry, I gotta respectfully disagree here. Excessive splay on TUBE LUG drums (Black Magic) will make it easier to cross-thread the t-rod into the tube lug. Not good....
You're right, a bad angle will cross thread in a tube lug, definitely a bad situation. However, the Black Magic drums don't suffer from any splay that I've seen. Those shells aren't the same as what's on the USA drums and used to come outfitted with die cast hoops. No room for error there!

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was asking myself this as well...
Do they make brass snare drums that don’t sound good?
Which leads to another question: what's the cheapest one out there, and does it sound ok? In Germany there are several store-brand ones under 200€. Musicstore (Fame), S-drums, Thomann (Millenium) might hit the bottom. From the reviews it seems it's the parts that lack, strainer and heads mostly, but other than that? I'd say you won't find the parts for as cheap as the assembled drum.
Comment says same upgraded heads and wires on both drums. I'd recommend startting the video, then changing the browser tab you're viewing and just listen:

Last edited:

kzac

Reaction score
I was at a Music Go Round store yesterday looking at snares and they had a Pearl Sensitone brass (well used, $300). The top head was totally loose so I borrowed a tuning key and as the head reached tightness, I was surprised how good it sounded. I was tempted momentarily but decided to do some research and more looking. A couple years ago our local Guitar Center had a 6.5" Black Beauty which I played a little and instantly recognized why it's so highly regarded. But $800 is out of my reach. So my question for those who have brass snares other than the BB, what can you recommend?
If you really must have a brass snare, take a look at what Drum Factory Direct has... If you get a drilled worldmax shell, you can build your own and have exactly what you want...

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
If you really must have a brass snare, take a look at what Drum Factory Direct has... If you get a drilled worldmax shell, you can build your own and have exactly what you want...
Unless what you want is a seamless shell. And I’m a fan of WorldMax, but it isn’t an exact swap for a Black Beauty.

Ronnie G

Reaction score
I had a DW Black Nickel over Brass snare that I really, really liked before my Dunnett. The Dunnett is just bigger and richer sounding, and VERY sensitive. Worth the upgrade $ to me. Never played the Ludwig, so won’t comment on it.

P.S. The Dunnett took a number of months longer to ship than originally quoted. Dunnett has a bit of a reputation about that, so I pretty much expected it. Worth the wait.
Thank you Madhermit. Great insight. I actually looked at and played one of the Dunnett Antique Brass engraved snares at the Chicago Drum Show in 2018 and almost bought it, ended up buying a Craviotto Johnny C model that I love. But it was a tough decision. If the engraved model becomes available again a few years down the line I’ll have to buy it. I definitely plan to buy a Dunnett snare. What you tell me here helps me with that decision when it’s available, hopefully it will be available again. Much appreciated. Thank you.
Ronnie G

219Dave

Reaction score
I am a big fan of brass snares.
Oops, posted too soon.
Gretsch Bell Brass: my favorite snare. So much body, and crack. Records so well.
Yamaha RC brass: just got it. So far so good.
DW collector’s bnob: also really good. But thinking of selling it to get a BB. Just because I want one.

sternerp

Reaction score
I have been looking for one of those...

Are all your Slingys 8 lug? Do you prefer 8 vs 10?
Mine are all 8 lug. I’ve never run across a 10 lug at a reasonable price. I found some of mine by searching Music-Go-Round’s national database.

Krys

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any Ludwig brass is great. They probably use the same shells anyways no matter what model it is lol
AK and Joyful Noise are the top ones for me.