Good company Charmicheal throne

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I partially posted about the Charmicheal thone.
To be brief, I had a spinal fusion in November L4/L5 L5-S1. Anyway, I suffered nerve damage,and I'm still in extreme pain. I also lost the feeling in my R foot (worst pt when it comes to playing)
Anyway, I've heard, and read great things about the company.
I used it the first day for about 20 mind, and felt okay (that's a very short practice) I decided to kick it up to an hour the next day. Not so great, actually just as bad as the pain from when I use my Roc n Soc.
I took a few days off, and tried again. No luck.
To get to my point, about 3 weeks in, I gave the owner a call to let him know no throne in the world is going to help me. He told me to send it back, and he'd refund my $.
Well, he was good for his word. I do think it's a great design, and would help just about anyone with back problems.
I'll continue to rehab, and pray for the best. If one day I can start playing like I used to (1-5 hours a day) I will definitely get the Charmicheal again.
I did sit on the Attack throne that's designed similarly, but the gap is too small. I could see after a few months of use, it wouldn't be much better than any other throne.
Just thought I'd leave a good review for a good company, with a very nice product.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I partially posted about the Charmicheal thone.
To be brief, I had a spinal fusion in November L4/L5 L5-S1. Anyway, I suffered nerve damage,and I'm still in extreme pain. I also lost the feeling in my R foot (worst pt when it comes to playing)
Anyway, I've heard, and read great things about the company.
I used it the first day for about 20 mind, and felt okay (that's a very short practice) I decided to kick it up to an hour the next day. Not so great, actually just as bad as the pain from when I use my Roc n Soc.
I took a few days off, and tried again. No luck.
To get to my point, about 3 weeks in, I gave the owner a call to let him know no throne in the world is going to help me. He told me to send it back, and he'd refund my $.
Well, he was good for his word. I do think it's a great design, and would help just about anyone with back problems.
I'll continue to rehab, and pray for the best. If one day I can start playing like I used to (1-5 hours a day) I will definitely get the Charmicheal again.
I did sit on the Attack throne that's designed similarly, but the gap is too small. I could see after a few months of use, it wouldn't be much better than any other throne.
Just thought I'd leave a good review for a good company, with a very nice product.
I know you posted this 8 days ago but I just saw it! I rarely go into the other forum topics here which I should do more often.
Have you asked your doctor advice about this? Like tell him you play drums and see if he has something that he can recommend for your condition. Maybe some special cushion or something. I know that medically their are devices for different conditions that are only available thru a physician. Maybe you've already done this but just a thought.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IROD,
Thanks for the concern. Yeah, he knows I'm a drummer. I actually went yesterday for a check up, and stays. My bones still aren't healed, so they're taking me out of physical therapy. I have the green light to play, if I can withstand the pain. I can get 20-40 min a day, but have to keep good posture, and lay off too much L foot work. Today sucked. I can only hope tomorrow is better.
Anyway, for the next 3 months, nothing but walking, and playing drums (when I can)

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
IROD,
Thanks for the concern. Yeah, he knows I'm a drummer. I actually went yesterday for a check up, and stays. My bones still aren't healed, so they're taking me out of physical therapy. I have the green light to play, if I can withstand the pain. I can get 20-40 min a day, but have to keep good posture, and lay off too much L foot work. Today sucked. I can only hope tomorrow is better.
Anyway, for the next 3 months, nothing but walking, and playing drums (when I can)
Cool! Hope you recover quickly!

REF

Reaction score
$319 for a drum throne. Wow. Thank God for used office chairs I've been modifying for 30 years. I'm sure the Carmichael is well made and all. That's just a whole lot of money to put a space in a cushion.

At the Carmichael site, watch the Todd Sucherman endorsement video. Notice the support under his thighs with the office chair version he is sitting in, compared to the 15" and 13" thrones next to him. I guess for players that want nothing under their thighs, thrones work best. For me, that extra support with office chairs makes a universe of comfort and balance difference, especially with a backrest.

I recently saw another throne with that split seat. His were around the same price. A little less.

Then I saw that one of the drum manufacturers has done that to one of their thrones. Big bucks.

I really dislike drum thrones. Just too small an area to gain any decent balance and comfort from, for me. I just got a round Gibraltar to use because I will get a regular Tama throne to use at this festival with backline equipment I'll be playing. My back is on fire using that thing. I don't know how players do it. Even 50 years ago I was using an old dining room chair I cut the legs down on. I never could do thrones.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
$319 for a drum throne. Wow. Thank God for used office chairs I've been modifying for 30 years. I'm sure the Carmichael is well made and all. That's just a whole lot of money to put a space in a cushion.

At the Carmichael site, watch the Todd Sucherman endorsement video. Notice the support under his thighs with the office chair version he is sitting in, compared to the 15" and 13" thrones next to him. I guess for players that want nothing under their thighs, thrones work best. For me, that extra support with office chairs makes a universe of comfort and balance difference, especially with a backrest.

I recently saw another throne with that split seat. His were around the same price. A little less.

Then I saw that one of the drum manufacturers has done that to one of their thrones. Big bucks.

I really dislike drum thrones. Just too small an area to gain any decent balance and comfort from, for me. I just got a round Gibraltar to use because I will get a regular Tama throne to use at this festival with backline equipment I'll be playing. My back is on fire using that thing. I don't know how players do it. Even 50 years ago I was using an old dining room chair I cut the legs down on. I never could do thrones.
$319 is actually not a lot of money for a seat that you spend hours sitting on. Think about the fact that 1 good cymbal costs that much and we pay it without thought. I paid $282 for my Motion Pro throne and it's the best drumming investment I made. If you have back issues it's a must and if you want to save your back from future back and lower body issues (like numbness in your prostate area) it's also a must. Think about how important that seat is to your body! My dad taught me 2 primary things to spend my money on: 1. Your shoes (You spend hours on your feet and they are the lowest point that supports all your weight) 2. A Mattress (You rest 8 hours on it every day and how you sleep determines your performance the following day. As a drummer I added an extra: 3. The throne! (You not only sit on it as you play but you move on it as well). You also mentioned that you don't like the limited size of a throne. I didn't either and it caused numbness to my lower extremities. Try a Motion pro, Soundseat (the large size), These 2 are both huge!, Carmichael or a Roc n Soc (a bit smaller) and you'll have incredible comfort & stability. You will never think about an office chair again! Just my opinion!
LRod

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$319 is actually not a lot of money for a seat that you spend hours sitting on. Think about the fact that 1 good cymbal costs that much and we pay it without thought. I paid $282 for my Motion Pro throne and it's the best drumming investment I made. If you have back issues it's a must and if you want to save your back from future back and lower body issues (like numbness in your prostate area) it's also a must. Think about how important that seat is to your body! My dad taught me 2 primary things to spend my money on: 1. Your shoes (You spend hours on your feet and they are the lowest point that supports all your weight) 2. A Mattress (You rest 8 hours on it every day and how you sleep determines your performance the following day. As a drummer I added an extra: 3. The throne! (You not only sit on it as you play but you move on it as well). You also mentioned that you don't like the limited size of a throne. I didn't either and it caused numbness. Try a Motion pro or a Soundseat (the large size). They are both huge! Even a Roc n Soc (a bit smaller) and you'll have incredible comfort & stability. You will never think about an office chair again! Just my opinion!
LRod
I guess you're both right. I think Irod knows a bit more about my back situation.? After a 2 level spinal fusion, I couldn't use anything, and play comfortably. I honestly would have spent whatever it took, and I could have afforded at the time. It's not easy to play relaxed, while in pain.
In my case, the thone didn't help, and I returned it. It was just dumb luck sitting on the cheap DW throne. I can't say I've always been pain free, but it was the best $89 I could have spent at the time.
It's a rather cheap round seat, with not much cushion. It goes high enough, and because of the smaller size, I began using my core to remain stable, rather than a cushy chair. I still have days it's pretty painful, or can't feel my foot. In a way it was a blessing, as I really put work in on my foot. Luckily enough, I found a technique that works great

REF

Reaction score
$319 is actually not a lot of money for a seat that you spend hours sitting on. Think about the fact that 1 good cymbal costs that much and we pay it without thought. I paid $282 for my Motion Pro throne and it's the best drumming investment I made. If you have back issues it's a must and if you want to save your back from future back and lower body issues (like numbness in your prostate area) it's also a must. Think about how important that seat is to your body! My dad taught me 2 primary things to spend my money on: 1. Your shoes (You spend hours on your feet and they are the lowest point that supports all your weight) 2. A Mattress (You rest 8 hours on it every day and how you sleep determines your performance the following day. As a drummer I added an extra: 3. The throne! (You not only sit on it as you play but you move on it as well). You also mentioned that you don't like the limited size of a throne. I didn't either and it caused numbness to my lower extremities. Try a Motion pro, Soundseat (the large size), These 2 are both huge!, Carmichael or a Roc n Soc (a bit smaller) and you'll have incredible comfort & stability. You will never think about an office chair again! Just my opinion!
LRod
I think from a longevity point of view you are correct; $319 is not a lot to spend. That said, I can sit for hours on my modified office chairs over the years. Most of them I picked up for $25 at various used furniture stores where I have lived. I don't pay extra for gas lift. I get plenty of height. I remove the wheels and put bolts in the receptacles with crutch tips on them and get five legs for support, not three. I take the back rest apart and modify it to whatever size I want, put the fabric back on and I'm good to go. I flip it upside down in the passenger seat of my van for taking them out. The current chair I have which I have used the longest I did get new at an Office Max or office supply store. I think it was $110. None of the advertised drum thrones by anyone I have ever seen have a seat the size that of an office chair. Some are close but, why spend three bills when I get the comfort and support I want for so much less? I even have a dentist chair given to me by a dentist my wife worked for. I modified that. Works great. I use the arm rest as a back rest.

While 319 may not be asking too much for longevity's sake, I do believe it is asking too much for a typical throne tripod with that seat attached to it.

I don't know how and why a typical throne ended up being around 13" in diameter, which most remain after a hundred years. Some now go 15". I really dislike bike seats. Especially that rib around the back of them all which pushes me forward. I hate that. Now, if someone produced a round seat 18" in diameter, like the average dimension of an office chair (my current on is 18x19), I still wouldn't spend $300 for it because a typical tripod base is no better than a chromed office chair base, and the seat not worth what they ask.

Throne tripods collapse for packing up and all. If that convenience is necessary for players, so be it. I have never needed that convenience. If I know an office chair with gas lift, large comfortable seat and backrest, on 5 legs can be purchased for around $100, why would I spend three times that for a drum throne of any kind?

Honestly, I have sat on tractor seats that are incredibly comfortable, and well they should be when farmers and ranchers have to sit for hours on them. You can buy tractor seat office chairs, too.

I have made my own seats by taking the round off, using the bracket and attaching my own plywood with whatever cushioning I have experimented with. Using an electric knife I can shape cushion to whatever I like. Latex, memory foam, anything out there you can easily purchase online.

For those who can afford a Carmichael, go for it. For reasons above, it just isn't for me.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think from a longevity point of view you are correct; $319 is not a lot to spend. That said, I can sit for hours on my modified office chairs over the years. Most of them I picked up for $25 at various used furniture stores where I have lived. I don't pay extra for gas lift. I get plenty of height. I remove the wheels and put bolts in the receptacles with crutch tips on them and get five legs for support, not three. I take the back rest apart and modify it to whatever size I want, put the fabric back on and I'm good to go. I flip it upside down in the passenger seat of my van for taking them out. The current chair I have which I have used the longest I did get new at an Office Max or office supply store. I think it was $110. None of the advertised drum thrones by anyone I have ever seen have a seat the size that of an office chair. Some are close but, why spend three bills when I get the comfort and support I want for so much less? I even have a dentist chair given to me by a dentist my wife worked for. I modified that. Works great. I use the arm rest as a back rest.

While 319 may not be asking too much for longevity's sake, I do believe it is asking too much for a typical throne tripod with that seat attached to it.

I don't know how and why a typical throne ended up being around 13" in diameter, which most remain after a hundred years. Some now go 15". I really dislike bike seats. Especially that rib around the back of them all which pushes me forward. I hate that. Now, if someone produced a round seat 18" in diameter, like the average dimension of an office chair (my current on is 18x19), I still wouldn't spend $300 for it because a typical tripod base is no better than a chromed office chair base, and the seat not worth what they ask.

Throne tripods collapse for packing up and all. If that convenience is necessary for players, so be it. I have never needed that convenience. If I know an office chair with gas lift, large comfortable seat and backrest, on 5 legs can be purchased for around $100, why would I spend three times that for a drum throne of any kind?

Honestly, I have sat on tractor seats that are incredibly comfortable, and well they should be when farmers and ranchers have to sit for hours on them. You can buy tractor seat office chairs, too.

I have made my own seats by taking the round off, using the bracket and attaching my own plywood with whatever cushioning I have experimented with. Using an electric knife I can shape cushion to whatever I like. Latex, memory foam, anything out there you can easily purchase online.

For those who can afford a Carmichael, go for it. For reasons above, it just isn't for me.
I totally get where your coming from. What I stated was my experience and point of view. You seem to have found the right balance between comfort and value. I guess everyone has their own personal preference. And about the office chair size, I can't argue with that. They are definitely bigger than any throne. I'm happy it works for you! In the end, it's whatever makes each person happy and what is functional. You found both so that's wonderful.
LRod

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I guess you're both right. I think Irod knows a bit more about my back situation.? After a 2 level spinal fusion, I couldn't use anything, and play comfortably. I honestly would have spent whatever it took, and I could have afforded at the time. It's not easy to play relaxed, while in pain.
In my case, the thone didn't help, and I returned it. It was just dumb luck sitting on the cheap DW throne. I can't say I've always been pain free, but it was the best $89 I could have spent at the time.
It's a rather cheap round seat, with not much cushion. It goes high enough, and because of the smaller size, I began using my core to remain stable, rather than a cushy chair. I still have days it's pretty painful, or can't feel my foot. In a way it was a blessing, as I really put work in on my foot. Luckily enough, I found a technique that works great
Yep! And I'm glad you've found something that works. I know playing with what you have is tough.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
There are many things you just don’t skimp on. A throne and toilet paper are two of them.

I’ve never had major back issues requiring surgery but the Soundseat was the cure when I had a hard land on my tailbone once.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are many things you just don’t skimp on. A throne and toilet paper are two of them.

I’ve never had major back issues requiring surgery but the Soundseat was the cure when I had a hard land on my tailbone once.
Back injuries are no joke! It's altered my life forever. I'll never be able to do so many things I've always enjoyed. I still can't feel my R foot. It's taken months to adjust, and I'm still getting used to playing without feeling my foot. Drums are one of the few things I still can enjoy.
Getting my kit to a gig, and out of the cases is a whole other story

Latest posts