Good deal on 6ply Luddies?

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
6ply shells, pointy B/O badge, large classic lugs all around, 1/2" spurs, clear interiors, inlays intact, all original, no extra holes or mods. Looks like a Big Beat?
Asking price is $550.
I have no experience with 6ply kits from this era, but this seems like a good deal to me.

Thoughts?

Attachments

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have owned a couple of kits of these,one from the late 70`S with rivets,one from 83-84.Great sounding drums at med high to low tuning IMO.l really liked the Bass drums,huge low end with great definition.The late 70's shells were thicker,a tad over 3/8",the 80's were a little thinner.Not up on pricing but considering the quality and sound I think 500 to 550 is a good deal for what you are getting if they are in good condition.If you can get them for under 500 that would just be icing on the cake IMO.

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Whenever you can get 6-ply drums in trad sizes, it's worth snapping them up. So many are in dumb 80's sizes.

-Ryan

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If asking price is $550 you know they're probably fine with getting $500. If you find some issues once you see them in person then knock them down $50-$100 more. Figure any kit needs at least 10-15% in "stuff" once you go through it....heads, snare wires, accessories, etc.

Upper half of New Jersey/NYC is fertile ground for great deals on kits.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The price is decent.

We've had a six-piece Ludwig kit in black, power toms, modular mounts, etc., sitting on our local CL for months for $500.

GeeDeeEmm

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Good deal, if you like thick drum shells.

I played an 80's Ludwig set for several years. The shells were really thick. They had a ton of balls and phenomenal projection. But I found that you had to hit them harder to get a full response. OK for rock players, but for jazz with a lighter touch, not so good.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really liked my 6 plies. Played well. soft or loud. Tuned up easily. my band loved them, even over my 3 ply sets.They really surprised me , after all the dissing on them. the weight was the only minus I came up with. And, the riveted seams.....
IMG_0142.jpg