Good deal on used starclassic b/b?

TomPotti

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a chance to purchase a used Tama Starclassic Birch/Bubinga set. It's in great condition (already saw it in person). The bearing edges look intact and there are no major blemishes I can find. Only downside is the seller keeps the set in garage and he is not an experienced drummer, so it didn't wasn't tuned right. But seemed okay otherwise.

Anyways, it's a 5 piece kit with 10, 12 inch mounted toms, 14 and 16 inch floor toms, and I think 22 x 18 bass drum. No snare included.

What would be a fair price be? He wants $1000. Just want to get an idea of what these might go for. Thanks!

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Depending on condition and upkeep, that's a fair deal. How old are the drums? If they are more than 2 years old, I would probably try to angle for an extra $100.00 off, but I like to wheel and deal.
Are they lacquered or wrapped? That shouldn't really matter on the price as I believe Tama was charging the same price for either but you might want to wait for a Tama owner to chime in on that one. I assume you'd be getting the tom mount that goes on the bass drum or a stand for the two rack toms?

TomPotti

Reaction score
Another fun aspect....

Owner believes drums are maple.... But I'm fairly confident it's B/B.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay a dime over $800, but I'm a cheap skate and a bargain-seeker. Nonetheless, that kit is worth $1000 all day long. But he won't get that much. Not in today's over-supplied used market.

GeeDeeEmm

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like the color combo especially with the black chrome hardware - almost picked up a 5x14 snare in black/brown fade with B.C. hardware last nite, but it was just birch.

I don't know how to tell if it's B/B. Is it on the badge? I've only owned one bubinga drum - a PDP 20 ply snare that had a dark wood interior. What does the inside look like here?

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay a dime over $800, but I'm a cheap skate and a bargain-seeker. Nonetheless, that kit is worth $1000 all day long. But he won't get that much. Not in today's over-supplied used market.

GeeDeeEmm
Agreed on this. I have a "one of Forty" Tama Starclassic BB Exotic (2012) Limited in Smoky Indigo Birch Burl Burst that I tried to sell a couple years ago for 1K with not one response on the ad. It's a highly figured outer exotic veneer of birch burl, and a very nice set. The kit is flawless and quite rare. These kits don't do well at all on the used market. I think my old Pearl Export Pro from 1993 held its value better.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I want to say I saw a Bi/Bu 12/13/16/22 at GC last year in the black/brown sunburst with black chrome hardware and it was $1,099 - but I think it was a demo kit. Sounded fantastic as did the matching snare (separate)......just too much drums for me.

Here is a 12/16/22 for $649 on Reverb (not sure if the OP's white is a wrap or sparkle finish), so adding two more drums may be a few hundred more. You may want to keep looking and even if you find a similar kit, after seller's fees and pain to wrap & ship all those drums, he will net much less than $1K, and you can then have leverage to deal in cash if you want that kit.

https://reverb.com/item/17405266-tama-starclassic-bubinga-birch-drum-set-kit-awesome-drums-for-sale?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxsDNrJ3c3wIVBcJkCh391A-4EAQYAiABEgIevvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

TomPotti

Reaction score
Thanks for responses.

The inner shell is darker than what I would expect for Maple. Also, after researching badges for a day, I'm fairly confident it's B/B.

I'm sure I can negotiate him down. I might be the only buyer interested.

My only hesitation is that the kit has been in the garage for some time. I'm in the central valley of California, so hopefully it's not a huge deal.

cutaway79

Reaction score
It's definitely not maple, judging by the badge. That badge is only used on the Performer Birch, and Performer B/B. A dark interior would indicate a B/B.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a chance to purchase a used Tama Starclassic Birch/Bubinga set. It's in great condition (already saw it in person). The bearing edges look intact and there are no major blemishes I can find. Only downside is the seller keeps the set in garage and he is not an experienced drummer, so it didn't wasn't tuned right. But seemed okay otherwise.

Anyways, it's a 5 piece kit with 10, 12 inch mounted toms, 14 and 16 inch floor toms, and I think 22 x 18 bass drum. No snare included.

What would be a fair price be? He wants $1000. Just want to get an idea of what these might go for. Thanks!
The B/b is a Starclassic Performer...shouldn't it say so on the badge?
Anyway, a few years ago a local music chain had a nice B/B kit for sale for something like $2300, in a setup very similar to yours (this one included a matching 6" snare, too).
Didn't sell.
After X-mas "blow out" sale price was $800...kit was gone within a week.
I'd say, if the kit you're interested in is in "like new" shape, or at least close to it (and it sounds like it is), I'd say $1000 is a fair price....offer $700 to open and haggle from there.

Elvis

Last edited:

cutaway79

Reaction score
The B/b is a Starclassic Performer...shouldn't it say so on the badge?
Elvis
Nope. The birch (except for the original SC Birch from the '90s with decal badges), and B/B drums are both Starclassic Perfomers, and the only ones to use that badge. So I'm guessing Tama just counts on the badge style to let you know it's a Performer, without actually putting the word "Performer" on it.

TomPotti

Reaction score
They really should label these.

Another seller tried to sell me a "maple" kit, which was actually an old Starclassic performer with 100% Birch.

When I told him this, he was surprised and said he had no idea.

And yet, he didn't take his ad down, and it's still advertised as maple...

Hope he doesn't have the chance to screw someone over.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I sold a 6 piece in Diamond dust last year for $900. Two up and 2 down with matching snare. It took about 30 days but I had it in a store not Craigslist.

TomPotti

Reaction score
Wow. Seems like there is a general consensus that less than 1000 is reasonable.

How much would these usually sell for new? 2000?

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow. Seems like there is a general consensus that less than 1000 is reasonable.

How much would these usually sell for new? 2000?
I would agree. I bought mine new, with exotic finish for 1500 usd. The shop had them listed at $1799.00 before I bargained with them.

I am guessing at this point that Starclassic BB drums are worth the following in good condition:

Bass drums: $200
Toms: $100
Snare: maybe $150

Latest posts