Good Drum Vehicles....

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I loved my Ford Ranger pick-up, it was only a 4-cyl, 5-speed so it was great on gas. When we were first married I fit my 4 pc Ludwig set plus hardware/cymbals, and my wife in her Toyota Corrolla. That car was great, it ran forever, was cheap to insure and great on gas. Now I drive a Toyota Tacoma, which is a great truck, but not as good on gas as the Ranger.

prplmoo2112

Reaction score
Bought a 2007 Ford Focus last July and it gets great gas milage. Bumming around town I get about 27 mpg, highway is about 35 mpg. I can fit 22 bass, 10, 14, 16 toms, snare, cymbals, throne, carpet and still have room, even for an extra passenger. My wife is leasing the four door hatchback and it has slightly more room for the taller stuff. If you can find a used one, I'd say go for it.

It sometimes feels cramped, but then again Im 6'2", 280lbs so a lot of things feel cramped!

woodshed

Reaction score
I'm with Cymbalist...I got an '06 (1st Gen) Scion xB - got it "used" as a dealer demo (in great shape) w/ 15k and tricked out (19" rims and all, lots of stuff I wouldn't have paid for) for under $15k out the door.

as he mentioned - load in is great - big/low gate (up swing), decently wide rear doors, TONS of usable space (lots of headroom, even in the back, and hardly any annoying curvy roof lines that limit packing), rear seats fold flat (wish they came out!!), and tons of leg/head room up front.

best of all, I'm getting ca. 30 mpg city/highway. In Cleveland, prices are currently ca. $3.29/gal.

I love it...would def recommend it to anyone. (not a big fan of the 2nd Gen version - '08 is less roomy inside and worse on gas...plus the body doesn't look as cool!)

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ford is bringing in the European Transit model for '09. I'll definitely be looking for a used one in 5 years :)

For a good budget hauler, I'll second the Subaru wagons. I once fit THREE 5-piece drum sets in an Outback.

Oh, and I totally know how you feel about the '90 Integra hatchback. I still wish I had it. Or even an '83 Celica hatchback I had before it. They don't really build that type of cars anymore, that are both small sporty 2-doors AND can fit a drum set.

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had quite a few company vehicles over the years that I have been able to take advantage of by using them to haul my kit around.

For your price range, I enjoyed the Chevy Equinox/ Pontiac Torrent. It's suprising how much gear will it in the backseat/cargo area. Great vehicle. Also, the Chevy HHR is good utility type vehicle with a very reliabe and economical engine. You can get both a couple years old in your price range.

Though I must admit, my better half's Olds Silhouette can hold so much more gear. I hate driving a minivan, not because of the image, it's just not fun. But, nothing beats it's versitility.

I'd rather been seen in a minivan than a Prius.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Dodge Caravan 2.4 liter all the way.
I'm on my second one and will someday buy a third.
Great milage, economical on tires & tuneups, easy park, perfect for a musician.

Drummer Dave

Reaction score
Way waaaaaaaay back I was able to put my Ludwigs in the back seat of a 1932 Chrysler Touring Sedan that my dad had restored and travel within 30 - 40 miles to a gig. Air conditioning ? Sure, just open the little vent centered just in front of the windshield to let in air. High speed ? You bet. The windshield would pivot out a bit from the bottom. Cruise control ? Just pull the throttle all the way out. Good to go. Not too fuel efficient that way, but what the heck, gas was only $ .29 - $ .35 a gallon then. There was enough room in that back seat I could put my drums in their cases and have plenty of room for beer coolers and the girls. ( Ooops ! High schoolers did not drink in the mid 60's. ) those " good old days " really were good.

9Lb Tongue

I can tell you what NOT to buy

DON'T..repete...DON"T buy a Hummer H3............. :roll:

I bought won for my wife a little over a year ago....

A) The back seats lay down, but not flat.... :drunken: There is this huge rubber hump in the middle that wont lay flat. Plus the rubber pay load makes scooting or sliding gear very difficult.
I don't know what Einstein thought that up, but it really sux. The room inside is no greater than ANY mid sized SUV, I had a 2000 Toyota 4 runner LTD , and it was buy far the roomiest and easiest to load in.
B) gas mileage is horrid

C) It runs like a tank.

D) The side doors have a very small opening radius. Its almost impossible to squeeze and 18" FT through it.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drummer Dave said:
Way waaaaaaaay back I was able to put my Ludwigs in the back seat of a 1932 Chrysler Touring Sedan that my dad had restored and travel within 30 - 40 miles to a gig. Air conditioning ? Sure, just open the little vent centered just in front of the windshield to let in air. High speed ? You bet. The windshield would pivot out a bit from the bottom. Cruise control ? Just pull the throttle all the way out. Good to go. Not too fuel efficient that way, but what the heck, gas was only $ .29 - $ .35 a gallon then. There was enough room in that back seat I could put my drums in their cases and have plenty of room for beer coolers and the girls. ( Ooops ! High schoolers did not drink in the mid 60's. ) those " good old days " really were good.
I learned to drive on my dads 1974 Buick Electra, it was GIGANTIC!

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
EvEnStEvEn said:
Dodge Caravan 2.4 liter all the way.
I'm on my second one and will someday buy a third.
Great milage, economical on tires & tuneups, easy park, perfect for a musician.
Good rig, and affordable, too. We have the Plymouth Voyager, which is the same thing with different trim.

I also use our '93 Subaru Legacy 4 dr. sedan. My 4 pc. kit fits in there just fine; front seats can slide way forward to accommodate the BD, then slide right back to maximum length. Good to go; you could fit 6 to 7 pieces in there. You can probably find a good used Legacy for under $2k and they'll run forever. The Subaru motor is just about as good as those indestructible Toyota 22R engines.

Best part? They's long since paid for.

mm

Reaction score
'01 Chrysler Concorde. Huge trunk. Entire set, except BD fits in it. ca. 30 mpg highway.

Chris

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I own a '97 Chevy Venture mini van.Ample room for my kit.Has a 3.4 litre V6,plenty of power.Pretty good on gas.Has glass all the way around, good visibility ,minimal blind spots.Now I can take the kit with the 26" kick whenever. :D

rktinc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am a former auto manufacturer exec/rep with an undergrad degree in automotive technology. My professional opinion is go for a mix of size, and economy. ( I am now a banker)

I have been thinking the same thing lately regarding gig vehicles.

Out of the box thinking... Have you considered a small box trailer like the aerodynamic ones used for motorcycles these days? They would pull easy, store well, and be easy to manuver. Any midsized vehicle could handle it. You would need a garage to keep it locked up when not tied to your car. (easy theft target)

I have also thought that maybe a 20 year old expertly maintained, 100K mi Mercedees station wagon might be the perfect gig car. Cheap, Diesel, and mechanically sound. (might have to find a good independent MB diesel mechanic to consult prior to purchase.

I drive a 96 4Runner Ltd with 128k mi. It is a Toyota so you know the rest, but 18mpg is about the best mileage I have seen her get. I love the thing and can't bear to get rid of her, but I am starting to consider options.

I almost purchased a new GMC Denalli pickup this winter with a solid bed cover. Fortunately, my 18 x 22 case won't fit. Wow that was a close call. I have never owned a personal pickup truck only SUV's

Blazers, Jimmy's, 4Runners, etc.

The mini van thing is probably the best alternative. $8k should put you in a 60Kmi Chrysler. $10 to $15 will put you in a Toyota or Honda with a bit higher mileage. (carmax is a good research tool) The maintenace costs should be lower due to normally sized tires, common engines with thier Camry/Accord based platforms and many other characterisitcs such as FWD that make them very safe, stable, and ideal for our biz. Remember that interest on any purchase should be considered. You usually can't write it off of your taxes. Unless it is a 100% business vehicle. Ask your accountant (or hire a private accountant to do your taxes) in order to explore the possibility of running your drumming as a small business. That would likley help the expense of gas and at least part of a vehicle.

That little Chevy HHR in the striped down panel job format would be a good one, but might be hard to find and full of blind spots.

Personally, I will give up a bit of gas savings for saftey. I have to drive 1.5 hours one way to some gigs these days. The size is a smart alternative to the little cars mentioned.

BESIDES, IT IS TIME TO RAISE PRICES AND CONTRIBUTE TO THIS INFLATION THING OUT THERE. SCREW THE CLUB OWNERS!

Buy the wife and kids a nice used mini-van. get a super efficent car for your regular daily commutes and take the van when you have to gig. The gas savings all week long will more than pay for the extra gas on the weekend and give momma and the kids a good safe ride all week long. Good luck. One thing I can say for sure: Don't buy a Land Cruiser. 12 mi per gallon without a load of drums. My wife's status toy that I am making her drive for 7 more years. ( but it is paid for)

RKT

Jimmy Willis

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My 2007 Ford Taurus works fine for me. I do a fair amount of traveling for my day job so I like a full size car for traveling. I play a four piece kit and use a 24' bass drum part of the time and I can get the kick, floor tom and monitor cabinet in the back seat. The truck is nice and spacious so it works for my trap bag and everything else. I also get pretty decent gas mileage with the V6 engine.

Slidemanic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1988 Ford Country Squire wagon. The big one. Seats eight, hauls everything. Amazingly smooth ride, and more nimble than you'd think. Supposed to get 17/24 EPA mileage, doesn't really. I think it will, however, once I replace all four catalytic converters, which are clogged.
I don't much care for most modern vehicles, as I don't like front wheel drive, CV joints, steering racks, McPherson struts, and the way they handle. Also don't care for airbags, plastic timing belts, gigantic windshield wipers (Chrysler product minivans-ugh!) and liftgates. I like the space in the Honda Element (my sister-in-law had one) but it is painful to look at and hard to see out of.
Well, now that I've grumbled, time to go out in the yard and drop the entire exhaust system down, and unclog those cats!

DrumBob

DFO Master
Reaction score
I will drive a Subaru Outback for all times now. I've had two. Great cars-plenty of room for equipment.

dave11772

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with the owner of the Honda Fit. I've had mine since August - great gas mileage, sporty, peppy engine, and surprisingly roomy - I pack my DW kit (22" bass, 3 toms, etc.) plus I haul a 4x10 bass speaker cabinet for the bass player. You can also configure the front passenger seat to lay flat to fit your surf board :D or configure the rear seats to fit your llama (it's in the brochure).

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
I've seen my friend Trey Gray put a kit in a Scion. And not the xb, either. From what I have read, the Scion is a pretty good little vehicle. Of course the xb has more room than the hatchback. Next time you are at Fork's, check out Steve Ebe's Element. He had Belle Meade Auto Brokers find him one. It seems like a really good drum vehicle. And the broker route seems like a good way to go, if you have a little time to wait for them to find one for you.

reidjazz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also have a Honda Element (2004). Best drum car there is, IMHO. Stuff loads in and out easy, the seats fold up against the sides (or come out in 2 minutes), and I can get my 5-piece kit, a keyboard and amp plus both of to the gig and back...do this all the time. I can also get an upright bass, his amp and him plus all my tubs.

Gas mileage = 25MPG city. Could be better, but nothing fits my drums better than my Element.

Latest posts