Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meinl Custom Classics

• Meinl HCS

• Total voters

Nubs

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a set of 14" Zildjian A Mastersound hats and while they're nice, it's just not the sound I'm looking for from hats. I think they might be too heavy.

I'm looking for a good solid set of hats for blues and some classic rock. I'm looking for that traditional "chick" sound when closed and a great shimmery sound when they get opened. I like to crescendo the hats leading into a new section of the song to help with build-ups. Price is definitely a factor, so I'm looking to keep them under $200. New or used doesn't matter.

Through research, I think I've narrowed it down to the following:
  • Meinl Classic Custom Darks
  • Zildjian New Beats
  • Wuhan Westerns
  • Meinl Custom Classics
  • Meinl HCSs
I'm using a Mapex Mars Crossover 5 piece kit with Meinl HCS 20" ride and 16" crash. Given all of this, which hats would you go with and why? If you have suggestions for other hats, I'm totally open to them. I'm not married to any brand.

Thanks in advance!

Soulfinger

Reaction score
From that list - definitely New Beats, no contest.
Lots of other options though - Paiste PST7 Light Hats or 900 series for instance, used 2002s or Sabian AAs...

Although seeing that the rest of your set-up is HCS I´d try to make the Mastersounds work and swap the Meinls for something better first. But that´s just me.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
New Beats, of course, but find some used New Beats from the 70s or early 80s (pre-solid logo). They're plentiful and can be had a great price.

I don't know how old your Mastersounds are, so they could indeed be too heavy, but possibly the pronounced "chick" from the rippled bottom is giving you a sound that's too loud and bright, which is commonly associated with being heavy. You can buy old New Beats pretty much sight unseen based on the weight, and be satisfied.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmmm . . . It's hard for me to imagine that any version of the Mastersounds wouldn't work great for all rock and roll and blues. I use 14" Zildjian K Mastersounds in my gig set, and I think their sound is excellent, especially when it comes to the "chick." I'll admit that maybe for some folks the sound of the "slosh" isn't as warm as a hi hat set with a non-rippled bottom cymbal, but for me it's just fine.

I would suggest keeping your bottom Mastersound cymbal in place while you experiment with various top cymbal candidates. You should be able to retain that wonderful "chick" that a Mastersound bottom cymbal provides, while determining all the other hi hat characteristics via top cymbal choices. Your options here are limitless, of course, but you might start out with a warmer-sounding top, such as a K Dark medium crash. By buying used cymbals at the right prices, you will likely lose no money at all if you need to sell a candidate cymbal.

Good luck in your search. Let us know how your search goes.

GeeDeeEmm

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I prefer New Beat, but then again, I’m a Zildjian man and don’t really care much about the other brands. Honestly, lots of the current made Zildjian options would be awesome for blues.

I like the old NBs, but I do have a new pair that I like when I need a touch more projection than my vintage pairs.

Also...Zildjian A or K mastersounds are a fun option to keep around. In context of the music, and out front (which most people forget to keep in mind), they likely will be excellent sounding with the music.

Last edited:

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
From that list - definitely New Beats, no contest.
Lots of other options though - Paiste PST7 Light Hats or 900 series for instance, used 2002s or Sabian AAs...

Although seeing that the rest of your set-up is HCS I´d try to make the Mastersounds work and swap the Meinls for something better first. But that´s just me.
I used a PST7 bottom with a regular 900 top and that was a really nice combination. Don’t let the low cost fool you - the 900s and the PST7s are wonderful hats.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I recently picked up a pair of Sabian AA flat hats and keep going back to them . Real crisp foot definition and depending on your touch and stick choice , accuratley responsive . Cost 99 $ used .