header.nohb.html

(Good) news about Regal Tip!!(?)

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I mean, who really knows what will happen with them, but I saw these posts on Clayton Hill's Facebook page (Trooper drummer, Regal Tip endorser). I don't mind sharing, as they're public. Here's the thing, and this reminds me of how JD (owner of current Ayotte) is handing things, even if Regal Tip somehow continues, in today's business climate, how are they going to to survive with such poor communication and in-fighting. So much damage is already done. Beyond dysfunctional. I'm always amazed at how hard it is for some people to let go.

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 6.19.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 6.20.17 AM.png

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Carol Calato yesterday. She said that her niece is moving the Regal Tip factory into its new location on Niagara Falls Blvd. in Niagara Falls. She expects that they will be in production in the near future.

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I mentioned the equipment for sale she confirmed these were the old machines. We also had a discussion about raw material suppliers, sone of whom have gone out of business, and the changes that are happening in music manufacturing.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Carol Calato yesterday. She said that her niece is moving the Regal Tip factory into its new location on Niagara Falls Blvd. in Niagara Falls. She expects that they will be in production in the near future.

Man, she better brace for impact.
There‘s gonna be a freekin metric ton of orders.
I know I’m gonna inundate them with my supply list.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd make sure the quality and product are the same...all new equipment and probably employees.
Amen to that. Prior to their disappearance the quality of the Ed Thigpen brushes was iffy. The Vic Firth brushes, especially the Russ Miller model, have also dropped in quality, although their Heritage model seems to be OK. Those were recent purchases. The point about the VF brushes is quality seems to have dropped regardless of the manufacturer.

Last edited:

Adam Alesi

Reaction score
When I mentioned the equipment for sale she confirmed these were the old machines. We also had a discussion about raw material suppliers, sone of whom have gone out of business, and the changes that are happening in music manufacturing.
It’s really great that its likely they will come back. However, it’s still so terrible how they have left their entire user base in the dark forever. Instead of keeping people updated about their transitions, they have pushed away customers and artists that could have possibly stuck it out and waited. The fact that there are forums with pages of discussions posting rumors and all this ‘he said, she said, I heard’ mumbo jumbo is just silly.

That being said, I hope they pull through and continue to make great sticks. I would definitely support them as I just cannot find a suitable replacement. And as others have mentioned I hope their brushes come back as well. I need the Sutter brush in my life, I would buy a dozen more pairs if I could.

BillyCarl

Reaction score
I'll be real happy if they get going again. I'm about out of sticks.

McLovin’ me Ludwigs

Reaction score
during the lockdown if ‘20 i had broken my last regal tip 7An!
I purchased a set of drums from mr Maxwell. We had a conversation about how difficult they were to find. He in turn went to; i believe it was Forks drums that he bought, and texted me that he was sending me his LAST 8 pair of 7A as a thank you for doing business. Class act, man.
Im known as stix or 3 stix because i only play with 2 (7AN and 7A), and one 7A as back up between my legs….TMI i know. Lol

OZjazzer

Reaction score
It’s really great that its likely they will come back. However, it’s still so terrible how they have left their entire user base in the dark forever. Instead of keeping people updated about their transitions, they have pushed away customers and artists that could have possibly stuck it out and waited. The fact that there are forums with pages of discussions posting rumors and all this ‘he said, she said, I heard’ mumbo jumbo is just silly.

That being said, I hope they pull through and continue to make great sticks. I would definitely support them as I just cannot find a suitable replacement. And as others have mentioned I hope their brushes come back as well. I need the Sutter brush in my life, I would buy a dozen more pairs if I could.
Excellent comment. Why have they left the web site up as if it’s business as usual when in fact they have been closed for 18 months or so? Love their sticks but really dislike the way they’ve ignored their customers. Mind you Vic Firth are proving to be nearly as bad by dropping stick models and pretending they are just out of stock. Maybe my favourite AJ2’s will magically reappear?

Last edited:

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Excellent comment. Why have they left the web site up as if it’s business as usual when in fact they have been closed for 18 months or so? Love their sticks but really dislike the way they’ve ignored their customers. Mind you Vic Firth are proving to be nearly as bad by dropping stick models and pretending they are just out of stock. Maybe my favourite AJ2’s will magically reappear?

Meanwhile, companies like Los Cabos and Bopworks have been communicative with their customers and have navigated choppy waters admirably. Food for thought!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Meanwhile, companies like Los Cabos and Bopworks have been communicative with their customers and have navigated choppy waters admirably. Food for thought!
For sticks I switch from a presently operating company, Promark, to Bopworks. However, I am more of a brush player and nobody makes brushes anywhere near as well as Regal Tip (my opinion, of course.). Fortunately I stocked up before they went dark.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
At the risk of playing Devil's Advocate for the moment, I recall another company some of us here may be aware of.
Harrington & Richardson was a firearms manufacturer in Massachusetts from the 1880's until the early 2000's. They finally closed up shop in 2015.
Up until a couple of years ago, the word was "we're coming back!" and the website stayed up, untouched from 2015, but still accessible.
Finally, even the guys who could possibly bring it back and make it work, threw in the towel and the website came down.
Nowadays, you find certain design elements which screamed "H&R" for many years, on guns from other makes...and none of those guns are made in the US, btw.
So, just because Calato still has a website up, doesn't mean anything past "the powers that be" are still trying to get product out.
That being stated, I sincerely hope that they do make a come back. I'd love to pick up some 5A nylon tips from them.

Elvis

Tubwompus

Reaction score
At the risk of playing Devil's Advocate for the moment, I recall another company some of us here may be aware of.
Harrington & Richardson was a firearms manufacturer in Massachusetts from the 1880's until the early 2000's. They finally closed up shop in 2015.
Up until a couple of years ago, the word was "we're coming back!" and the website stayed up, untouched from 2015, but still accessible.
Finally, even the guys who could possibly bring it back and make it work, threw in the towel and the website came down.
Nowadays, you find certain design elements which screamed "H&R" for many years, on guns from other makes...and none of those guns are made in the US, btw.
So, just because Calato still has a website up, doesn't mean anything past "the powers that be" are still trying to get product out.
That being stated, I sincerely hope that they do make a come back. I'd love to pick up some 5A nylon tips from them.

Elvis
Marlin bought H&R. Then Remington bought Marlin and ran it into the ground. Ruger recently bought the whole Marlin shootin’ match, as I recall, so it’s still possible that the single-shot old standbys could be coming back around again.

DrumPhil

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For sticks I switch from a presently operating company, Promark, to Bopworks. However, I am more of a brush player and nobody makes brushes anywhere near as well as Regal Tip (my opinion, of course.). Fortunately I stocked up before they went dark.
At PASIC I saw the new Jeff Hamilton brush and stick models from Innovative Percussion. The brushes looked and felt very much like his former RT model. I.P. exhibited a surprisingly wide line of brush models. Not every shop carries their stuff, but it might be worth giving them a look.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
At PASIC I saw the new Jeff Hamilton brush and stick models from Innovative Percussion. The brushes looked and felt very much like his former RT model. I.P. exhibited a surprisingly wide line of brush models. Not every shop carries their stuff, but it might be worth giving them a look.
Thanks. I checked. None of their models have that short wood section near the end, which I actually use. I am afraid that their tube section is a two-piece that has a seam down the sides where they are joined, much like the Wincent and other companies. The closest to a non Regal Tip brush that I've used (and have a small stash of) is the no longer in production Zildjian retractable. Even the VF Heritage does not come close.