(Good) news about Regal Tip!!(?)

EVLdrummer

Reaction score
I just recieved a dozen sticks from Calato. There's still life in the company and let's hope that orders are back on track soon.
It looks like all your sticks are the "X" versions...extended length, and are the acorn-style ( I call it Vic Firth-ish) style tips. I've visited the factory in the last few years, especially after they discontinued MY favorite model, the 3A nylon tip, but alas, no 7A, Jazz, 5A, Rock, 5B or JC & Jake Hanna in nylon tips...that's what us "old guys" ( I'm 65 and gig 9-12 times a month) are looking for. When I did my visit from about 2 years ago, I bought a pair of 5B wood tip ( no nylon available) and when I got home upon a close inspection I noticed the changed the contours of the tip and the taper, in my view to appeal to "the kids". I can count on one hand the number of sticks I've broken or splintered IN MY LIFETIME. I've noticed also that Promark has recently discontinued alot of models with teardrop tips and rebound tapers...the dominant stick/styles of my generation. I guess we (baby boomers) seem to be considered a minority niche in the drumstick market universe. As George Harrison said "All Things Must Pass" !

John Root

Reaction score
I thought I'd share a picture of me trying to get the most out of the Regal Tips I have left. Stick I'm currently using on the left verses a new stick on the right.
(for some reason preview pic is blurry. expand it to see clearly)

Attachments

• sticks.jpg
    sticks.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 54

gutenberg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I thought I'd share a picture of me trying to get the most out of the Regal Tips I have left. Stick I'm currently using on the left verses a new stick on the right.
(for some reason preview pic is blurry. expand it to see clearly)
I’m doing the same and one was feathered down so far, I broke it half on the gig tonight…

Burps

Reaction score
In regards to the future of Regal Tip. I still have hope. Why?

We were told by many people over and over! The 602s are NEVER COMING BACK! Move on! Buy used! Look for similar cymbals, etc. Lo and behold! They DID come back! I realize that was a different situation. It was simply a cymbal line of cymbals, not a whole company. But how many drum companies seemed to have forever disappeared or were on the verge of disappearing and yet have reappeared or survived? Weren't there quite a few?

OZjazzer

Reaction score
Frankly I think it’s pathetic that RT haven’t made any public statements (that I know of) about this sorry saga. Just talk to your customers, level with them. They’ll be patient. They’ll wait. But just fading away without an explanation indicates it’s much more than simply “problems with new machines”. And why is the web site still up as if it’s business as usual. Ridiculous.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
It's no different from the nonsense that we heard about Tommy Robertson and Fibes closing down to transition into using their own drum shell molds in their new facility...only, it never transpired. Fibes ceased making drums and no new drums ever happened... Total not true. This issue with Regal Tip just blows my mind. To throw away a legacy business just like that is simply shocking.

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once again comments with no regard for the reality of this family owned business. How do you know what they are planning or thinking? Just because it doesn’t fit your timeline its ”pathetic”!!? Armchair quarterbacking is so easy and effortless. Navigating tough times with a valued family asset is significantly more difficult.

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually found some more new old stock in a local store. Mostly 5A, 5B maybe some 2B. There were also 8A. Was someone looking for 8A’s?

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.drumland.com still has quite a few pairs of a variety of models of Regal Tip sticks left in stock . Ask for JD .

Murat at Drummers Hangout still has a few models of Regal Tip sticks left as well . I picked up three pair of the Speed EX sticks from him on the weekend .

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm looking for one or two pairs of the Jeff Hamilton model...anyone?