header.nohb.html

(Good) news about Regal Tip!!(?)

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never thought it’d be this hard to replace my regal tip 5B or 5Bx nylon tip. It’s amazing how a little bit of weight, length or coating on the stick can be such a huge difference in feel

I am going through the same thing with the wood tip Jazz-X and 5A-X. Seriously frustrating.
The only thing I found that is even close to the Jazz-X is the VF Hickory X8D. It's close, but it still doesn't have the feel of the Jazz-X.
I ended up with an extremely long VF Questlove stick to replace the 5A-X ... nowhere near the same stick, but I can at least get the job done.
This is definitely one of the more frustrating events to occur in my drumming years.

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And just like that a little bit of info and new hope!? I saw Carol Calato over the weekend and she asked what sticks I’m using. I showed her a ratty pair of regal tip jazz wood tips. She gave me an update which I don’t feel obliged to share but it is potentially good news. Today I get a message saying that she found half a dozen random sticks at the factory that she is saving for me. We shall see if the news pans out…

Glad whatever psycho family member is causing this hasn't burned the factory down at least.

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am going through the same thing with the wood tip Jazz-X and 5A-X. Seriously frustrating.
The only thing I found that is even close to the Jazz-X is the VF Hickory X8D. It's close, but it still doesn't have the feel of the Jazz-X.
I ended up with an extremely long VF Questlove stick to replace the 5A-X ... nowhere near the same stick, but I can at least get the job done.
This is definitely one of the more frustrating events to occur in my drumming years.
Unfortunately its hard to tell if Johnny Rabb will be back making sticks,
but his 5A is very close to the RegalTip 5A-X.

Cheers
Mick

EVLdrummer

Reaction score
And just like that a little bit of info and new hope!? I saw Carol Calato over the weekend and she asked what sticks I’m using. I showed her a ratty pair of regal tip jazz wood tips. She gave me an update which I don’t feel obliged to share but it is potentially good news. Today I get a message saying that she found half a dozen random sticks at the factory that she is saving for me. We shall see if the news pans out…
It SOUNDS positive, but we Regal Tip users and fans have been putting up with this situation for over three years now. I've been to the factory many times over the years, and I can't believe the runaround anymore. Their public relations and communications via their website and facebook quite frankly suck! More of my Regal Rant later...

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It SOUNDS positive, but we Regal Tip users and fans have been putting up with this situation for over three years now. I've been to the factory many times over the years, and I can't believe the runaround anymore. Their public relations and communications via their website and facebook quite frankly suck! More of my Regal Rant later...
It is what it is.

Roadappledrummer

Reaction score
For those of you hoping for a comeback from RT.... I wouldn't hold my breath. I drove past the plant yesterday during business hours and not a soul could be seen...the property is definitely looking abandoned unfortunately.

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you hoping for a comeback from RT.... I wouldn't hold my breath. I drove past the plant yesterday during business hours and not a soul could be seen...the property is definitely looking abandoned unfortunately.
Well if you think about it that could be a bad sign or it could mean something good. We shall see.

Burps

Reaction score
If "Calato" is still seen on the building, I still have hope. If my hope eventually gets dashed, I will get over it.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Keep the faith until you see the for sale sign on the door....then ask the realtor about why it's for sale.

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at a drum store today and they had a bunch of Jeff Hamilton (?) Signature sticks. Anyone need?

Adam Alesi

Reaction score
Not looking so good. Here is the whole lot of lathes and equipment for sale. Unless they "retooled" with new machines and are clearing out these.

If you search their address the space looks like it is for lease

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not looking so good. Here is the whole lot of lathes and equipment for sale. Unless they "retooled" with new machines and are clearing out these.

If you search their address the space looks like it is for lease

Looks pretty over and done. It seems insane to not at least sell the brand and designs to another company.

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They retooled at the beginning of 2020. That was part of the initial shut down. They went from the old knife lathe’s to new stone grinding machines like most of the rest of the industry. Speculation without knowledge is just that. The inside info that I have gotten is that a rebirth is on the horizon.

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the outside things don’t look good and anyone who enjoyed their products has to be disappointed. But the info I have is encouraging. The sale of the machines and lease of the old factory is actually a good sign. The new machines have to go somewhere! Have we ever heard of “relocation”? Regardless of how things end up It seems this transition could have been handled better. But they have weathered storms in the past and I’m still confident that they will right the ship. It might seem difficult for them to get back up and running. But if you look around most of the industry is struggling to keep product on the shelves. I’ve been searching for sticks since they shut down. Tried a lot of different brands. When you search the products on manufacturer or retailer websites, lots of models are out of stock. This is true of other products also. It’s a tough time for manufacturers. Fingers are crossed for Regal Tip.