Good weeks here. New toys, questions and of course pics.

Square

Reaction score
Got a couple of new goodies this week.

A pair of Sabian 14" Vanguard hi-hats. I've been eyeing these for a while. I found a great deal on a NAMM display pair at my local drum shop. I couldn't resist. Shout out to Bentley's in Fresno!

I also found a 60s Slingerland snare to match my sparkling silver '64 kit. This one is a little later '67 or '68 I'm guessing based on the features. Not a lot of these silver sparkle snares coming up recently. At least not in the condition I wanted... The only draw back is that is a little too pristine. The wrap has very little oxidation while my kit's finish has a very subtle ginger-ale thing going on.

So, the question...

I'm looking for experienced views on what snare wires I might want to try out on this snare. Keep in mind it is a six lug drum. Bonus points if you have actually tried the suggested wires on a Slingerland student wood drum.

Now the pics.

image3.jpg

image0.jpg

image2.jpg

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I currently have a 6 lug Leedy from when they were owned by Slingerland. (Shown here on the left.)

1625549253613.png

I've owned other six lug Slingerland snares over the years, it is has the same shell. To me the Canopus "Dry" snare wires are the closest thing sonically to the original wires. In any case these are great sounding snares.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have a set of original Slingy wires. I used to have a 6 lug pre serial but sold it and don't recall the wires.

Square

Reaction score
Thnx you two. Those original wires, how many strands, do you recall?

BoomBoom

Reaction score
This looks like my snare drum. Except mine is white marine pearl. I got it for Christmas from my wonderful parents in 1972. It has been ever since and is still my go to snare drum. The only reason I ever use my backup snare, Yamaha Steel Stage Custom is if I break a head at a gig.

20210708_202319.jpg

Presently I'm running these snares:

20210708_202359.jpg

Sounds good but may be a little too snarey.

I do however still have the original snares haning on the wall in my studio.

20210708_202519.jpg

This drum simply kicks ass. It's loud for high volume situations. Very sensitive. Sounds great at different tunings. The rim shot will curl your hair. I love this drum.