Good weight for 20" K Con MTL?

nk126

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been eyeing some 20 med thin lows online. Not many have surfaced in local shops to try hands-on.

Wondering if anyone has first-hand experience re: what weights work best for these? Obv not the only factor for a historically inconsistent cymbal line, but it seems to be the best place to start when online shopping.

Seems like <2000 grams is better than heavier?

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have one that is on the light side….something like 1800 grams if I recall. I got it to be used as a crash, so I basically never use it as a ride. If you want it as a ride, I’d suggest north of 2000 grams (or 1900 at minimum). They get quite washy as the edges are thin too. I prefer the medium as a ride…had more presence.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
(shame on Zildjian for no gram weight under the cup on every one of their multitudinous K series) shame on them (rant off) Can't even tell hi hat weights unless an owner weighs them) no wonder ista

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
(could have been so easy to do so at final testing shame shame shamil)
no they waited till the 2018 keropes to do it. how about since 1977. Ista/Bosphor anatolianamedia might not had such an easy time sucking up market share) 2 rant off)

nk126

Reaction score
I have one that is on the light side….something like 1800 grams if I recall. I got it to be used as a crash, so I basically never use it as a ride. If you want it as a ride, I’d suggest north of 2000 grams (or 1900 at minimum). They get quite washy as the edges are thin too. I prefer the medium as a ride…had more presence.
I want a "crashable ride" with controllable wash. I know, I know, control is in the eye of the drummer ... but something with good, clear stick and lots of possibilities without that wild roar and unavoidable hum I've experienced before and come to think of as nasty. I'll check out some mediums. Thanks!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want a "crashable ride" with controllable wash
the weight not going to have any bearing on that; weight will be volume - the more or less of everything, and a slight pitch rise or lower.

nk126

Reaction score
the weight not going to have any bearing on that; weight will be volume - the more or less of everything, and a slight pitch rise or lower.
I mean, I guess ... I've never much cared for heavy crashes, myself

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I want a "crashable ride" with controllable wash. I know, I know, control is in the eye of the drummer ... but something with good, clear stick and lots of possibilities without that wild roar and unavoidable hum I've experienced before and come to think of as nasty. I'll check out some mediums. Thanks!
I think you’d be happy with the medium. I’ve played both versions, although they can differ of course depending on the specific cymbal… that’s the way I’d lean. The medium can still be crashed.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Been eyeing some 20 med thin lows online. Not many have surfaced in local shops to try hands-on.

Wondering if anyone has first-hand experience re: what weights work best for these? Obv not the only factor for a historically inconsistent cymbal line, but it seems to be the best place to start when online shopping.

Seems like <2000 grams is better than heavier?
FYI, when I ordered my K Con MTL from a local shop, the shop owner kindly ordered 3 from Zildjian and let me pick the one I liked best. They all sounded very different, and the one I picked sounded very different after 4-5 months of regular playing than when it was new. My cymbal is about 1950g and I wouldn’t change a thing. Great cymbal. But that’s my opinion.

Bottom line, you have to hear a K Con live, and if it’s a new cymbal, you still won’t know what you will have until it has been played and the metal has settled.

nk126

Reaction score
FYI, when I ordered my K Con MTL from a local shop, the shop owner kindly ordered 3 from Zildjian and let me pick the one I liked best. They all sounded very different, and the one I picked sounded very different after 4-5 months of regular playing than when it was new. My cymbal is about 1950g and I wouldn’t change a thing. Great cymbal. But that’s my opinion.

Bottom line, you have to hear a K Con live, and if it’s a new cymbal, you still won’t know what you will have until it has been played and the metal has settled.
that's a solid shop owner right there

(and jibes with what I've heard in sound files re: MTLs under 2k grams!)

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think K Cons are generally crashable, somewhat dark and have a quick decay for a ride cymbal.

tbird8450

Reaction score
I find K Cons to be all over the map. Weight alone isn't going to determine a beauty from a dud. In my experience, the MTLs tend to sound best in the middle of their typical weight range, but I've heard exceptions at both extremes. You really need to listen to / play these if you're not comfortable rolling the dice.

I have six of them (three 20" and three 22") and every one is very crashable. The heaviest is 2518g. The least washy is a 20" Medium. It's a bit on the heavier side at 2066g but it has a great jazzy tone, lots of body, and a clean, mild wash. The other two 20" are Bounce rides - one has a roaring monster of a wash (1706g) and the other doesn't (1984g). Again, they're all over the map.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Around 1950g should work well even for louder playing, the one Steve Gadd often uses on the far right reminds me of the one I own around that weight. I agree, you need to check them out individually. For softer playing, a lighter weight might be nice.

Cuvercc

Reaction score
I had one at 1864g I used as lsr. It had a very nice balance between stick and wash, definitely a great crashable light ride...

slcdrummer

Reaction score
I’ll share sound files of two that I used to own-probably on opposite extremes of the MTL weight spectrum. One was 2044 and the other 1784g. The 2044 was a solid medium ride with a slower crash but great stick definition. The 1784 stick sound would get lost almost immediately in high volume situations but the crash was much quicker and the pitch was lower! Here are my demos:

nk126

Reaction score
I found one, bought it used sight unseen, arrived last night. Kitchen scale calls it 2001g. Played it once just now. Felt a little heavier than I expected, particularly along the edges. Bell is smaller than I expected, too, but very playable all the same. Those aren't criticisms, just characteristics. As @Matched Gripper said, "generally crashable, somewhat dark and have a quick decay for a ride cymbal." Looking forward to spending some more time ... :)

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My 20" MTL is around 1840g and sounds fantastic. It can handle situations up to medium club volume, I'd say. Like many Cons, it has pretty strong mids and therefore nice presence in a mix.