Got a bunch of vintage sticks the other day (remarks)

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I finally caught one of Jon Singer's (B'lyn, NY) inexpensive old stick lots, having missed a few previous ones. I'm a connoisseur.
IMG_20190715_141117458~2.jpg

The leftmost are some Ludwig 7As I've wanted for quite a while. The necks are so thin! Almost scary, really, but they make the thin rides sound marvelous. These and the Ed Thigpen 8A (right of the whitish stick) will be getting sent off to the woodturner for duplication, once I hear back from him.

The rest are some interesting ones: a nylon Pee Wee, plenty of old 2Bs, a Ludwig laminated 2S that is quite an incredible stick, really, and many others. Maybe the photo is definite enough. A few bananas as expected, but most are straight.

I thought this was interesting. Calato had some fun over the years with varying the models:

Attachments

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I finally caught one of Jon Singer's (B'lyn, NY) inexpensive old stick lots, having missed a few previous ones. I'm a connoisseur.
View attachment 403145

The leftmost are some Ludwig 7As I've wanted for quite a while. The necks are so thin! Almost scary, really, but they make the thin rides sound marvelous. These and the Ed Thigpen 8A (right of the whitish stick) will be getting sent off to the woodturner for duplication, once I hear back from him.

The rest are some interesting ones: a nylon Pee Wee, plenty of old 2Bs, a Ludwig laminated 2S that is quite an incredible stick, really, and many others. Maybe the photo is definite enough. A few bananas as expected, but most are straight.

I thought this was interesting. Calato had some fun over the years with varying the models:
I'd never considered having vintage sticks duplicated. Very cool idea.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I meant to share this, though the last photo is still relevant: different taper and length.

IMG_20190715_141539061~2.jpg

I love how the taper on the wood tipped Regals has that vintage abruptness. Already have a few like this, close enough, else I'd send this off too.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've played the Regal jazz sticks and broke two pair...just playing jazz! I gave up on Regals.....good luck to you, though.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DEFINITELY hit and miss. I've seen some completely absent quality control. There was also a pair of brushes with this lot, so to me three pairs of all of this was worth it for fifteen.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Great find on the sticks. Stick collector here as well! I have a small batch of some of my thinnest vintage sticks at a professional stick maker right now as well. Jon always has some neat stuff.

Mike

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Ive never broken a regal tip jazz in 35 years!!

I've been playing the Regal Jazz model for over 15 years, never broke one. They just get chewed up and crack eventually, after about 15 or more gigs. I do a lot of rimshots and the shoulder area takes a beating. I really like these sticks though. Nylon tip for me, but I have some wood tips as well for the quieter gigs.

Using vintage sticks as a pattern for making new ones is a cool idea....

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, it's an idea I got from here! So, I can only thank one or more of yall.

Very nice, Mike! What sizes may I ask?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Weird....I thought it was a fluke breaking a pair but then a 2nd one broke so I gave up. Diehard VF fan here.......