Got a China in your regular set up?

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Lately I've seen a couple of cool (big and hammered) chinas up for sale and I get tempted...but like a double bass drum pedal...I'm not really sure how I'd incorporate it into my set up/playing.

So, I'm curious
-if you have one in your regular set up
-make and model
-style of music you play

Thanks

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I think drummers have to be properly trained before using a china cymbal...I know I failed all my training courses, every time I owned one I overused them to the point I was forced to sell :) Splash cymbals same thing, but the training course is shorter ;)

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
yes and no
18" Paiste vintage 602
soft but pretty nasty; china
involves bringing a third cymbal to a gig and thats not needed usually
18" Brass Pearl CX500 is good is ok
20" A Swish- lot of cymbal.
16" A swish- really nuts
I've had a few
thick 19" Istanbul gone
22A knocker-insane
18" P Sound Creation- the 602 reminds me of it- one of the greats
probably a few more I forgot.
but 2 cymbals and hats
is plenty for me
me-i'm a freeman- jazz any style drummer-

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Unless I am playing bebop style acoustic jazz, I almost always use a China type cymbal. It may be a standard one like my 18" Paiste Sig, a more modern one like my Sabian 19" Holy, or a crash/china like the PSTX. Sometimes I might even use a 20" Masters Dark Ride as a dirty big trashy crash.

Typically I run a "Vinnie" type setup with a 5 pc kit. A China type effect on either far side, usually 16" on the left and 18" on the right. I use this setup for everything including jazz, metal, rock, fusion, pop, prog etc.... My 18" Paiste PSTX Medium Swiss Crash makes a wonderfully weird light ride with an almost "electronica" tone.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use a China in every one of my setups.
I've got a Sabian 19 Vault Holy China that sits with my K setup.
I've got a Sabian 19 Chad Smith Holy AA that sits with my K-Con setup.
Both of these "Holy" Chinas are spectacular. From the very softest touch to the quick hit, they speak splendidly.
I've got a Sabian 18 HHX Prototype Brilliant. It has a real nice back of the throat Khhaaaa that sits perfectly with the A Custom setup.
I've got others, but those three are my main Chinas.

I play whatever floats my boat that moment.
I don't sit in any one genre.

Last edited:

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Meinl Byzance 22” Jazz China Ride with 10 rivets. I play mostly pop/rock and it sees some use depending on the gig. Very versatile cymbal; crashes great and doubles as a special ride. Closer to a pang than a china I guess.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I'll bring a China to most rock gigs.

My preferred model : 20" UFiP Rough Chinese above the FT
.... and sometimes a 17" Meinl Custom Shop china on the left side.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting...there is a UFIP rough (natural) 16 at a music go round near me...hmmm

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
2002 18 inch China is always on my practice set up. I'll only bring it on gigs, if I'm doing several tunes that require one (wich is pretty rare)
I used to use a 16 Zil Oriental, but retired it when I got the 18.
Also have a 20 Thin Signature China, I've yet to play. Think I'll throw it up there tomorrow.
A good stack is more useful imo

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have had several chinas - 17" EAK Zildjian, 18" Paiste Sound Formula thin china, 20" Paiste 505, 16" Paiste 505, Sabian 18" AA thin, etc. They're fun for a few days. Then I ask myself what is "that" doing there? And out they go. Only own one china currently.....an early 1930's Slingerland supplied 12" China that came with the bass drum set. It's certainly nasty.

Attachments

Reactions: dtk

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use them sometimes. I might include one of these...Got an 18 China, 20 China, and a 22 swish. I love them. I get tired of hearing the same old traditional crash sound.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I love my 18" Wuhan so I've thought about it from time to time but haven't done it. My current band plays blues leaning toward rock so it could work in a Charlie Watts sort of way. The main reason I don't is I try to not get in habits of using more than I actually need. I just can't justify adding another cymbal and stand, plus another bag because due to its shape it won't fit in my trap case with my other cymbals. I would probably just overplay it anyway.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Of my various rigs, I only have one with a china, my UFiP bag and that has a 20" Class light. I use in in my "rock and roll" gigs and still enjoy smacking it!

TPC

Reaction score
I have a few ...

22" Agop Sultan China (paperthin) - This one is almost on the set, unless I'm doing a two-cymbal Bop setup. It's spectacular; I think the Agop Chinas are underappreciated. 95% Jazz, but occasionally a folky/Americana thing.

22" Paiste Sound Creation China - Well, it is what it is. Cool, but ... KAAAHLAAANGssssss. Rarely used.

18" Paiste 505 China - I haven't used it in 20 years. It's a freakin' loud, brash beast.

Another China (actually "Chinese") I had was an 80's 20" Sabian HH. It was fantastic. Very thin and oddly much thinner on one side than the other. It was wispy and smooth. Sounded exactly like Jack D's China sound from the mid-80's. It cracked, Sabian replaced it no questions asked, but the new one was a bit heavier and not quite as cool.

REF

Reaction score
I think I have 18 in my big set-up (when I can set up my big set-up).

14-22 AA Flat - in a tree
12-20 Wuhans - in a tree
24's, Flat and Wuhan on stands
12 and 14 AA mini
A few Sound Formulas, 18 and 20
An HHX 20.

Then I have others for other sets - an old UFIP 20, 19 Stagg, 19 Soultone, 18 Alpha, 18 B8Pro, 17 Wuhan.

I'd like to get a nickel-silver someday, as well. An old Camber, if they made them. I've never looked.

That UFIP that EvenSteven mentions is gorgeous. That was a real Amazon find for him. That cymbal is really something. I hit it once and was stunned by how nice it sounded.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve got a couple that I take out regularly. There’s an 18” Paiste 900 in my set of black Colorsounds that is pretty nice (really wish they made a 20” in that series, I’d prefer a slightly lower pitch). Others that make the regular rotation are a discontinued 18” 2002 thin china (one of my all time favorites) and an original 20” Twenty series china that seems to be able to handle all but the softest gigs to the loudest rock shows.

On country gigs I’ll usually substitute an 18” PSTX swiss thin crash for a china to get a similar effect with less cut/attack/volume.

markkarj

Reaction score
I'm leaning more towards Zildjian EFX or Istanbul trash hits. I do have a couple of Chinas, but I use them less frequently.

Latest posts