Got a China in your regular set up?

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a few ...

22" Agop Sultan China (paperthin) - This one is almost on the set, unless I'm doing a two-cymbal Bop setup. It's spectacular; I think the Agop Chinas are underappreciated. 95% Jazz, but occasionally a folky/Americana thing.

22" Paiste Sound Creation China - Well, it is what it is. Cool, but ... KAAAHLAAANGssssss. Rarely used.

18" Paiste 505 China - I haven't used it in 20 years. It's a freakin' loud, brash beast.

Another China (actually "Chinese") I had was an 80's 20" Sabian HH. It was fantastic. Very thin and oddly much thinner on one side than the other. It was wispy and smooth. Sounded exactly like Jack D's China sound from the mid-80's. It cracked, Sabian replaced it no questions asked, but the new one was a bit heavier and not quite as cool.
I have a newer 20” HH China that is awesome. That is a great cymbal... The only Sabian that I own. I can’t find a comparable Zildjian except for maybe the oriental trash.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a few.

The issue with them, for me, has been not blowing away the band when they are used. That is a function of which one I use, where I hit it and how.

Some are better for low volume burn than others. I have played under an unmic'd piano player on several jazz gigs with with a Paiste 18" SC China, or Trad 22" and 20" China. In fact, I sold the 22" because it wasn't good for much more than that. The acid test for me is if I can ride one under an upright bass solo and not get the look.

There may be others well suited for this; I just haven't played everything that's out there. I know the above work well in this application.

I have the 20" Trad in the bag for lower volume gigs; if I need more, I have a 22" Z Swish from the early 70's, a 22" Paiste SC, or a 20" 2002 that's been through a fire (and sounds a bit darker). Since I've cultivated my touch a bit more, none of them elicit death threats from fellow musicians or audience members.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had my China down since I broke down my Pearls and put up my Ludwigs. It's an 18" Paiste Signature Heavy China and it kills. In the mix it sounds more like a short crash that cuts through everything than a traditional trashy sounding China.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes absolutely love my China!! My go-to for now is my 19" Holy China--just perfect for me. Nice and thin and Loud yet controllable. In my practice space I use a 17 Holy to keep the volume down a bit but they are both Killer.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a fairly thin wuhan 18 that I drilled for 4 rivets. Use it in jazz situations for a dark, menacing ride. I have a few antiques 12-16 but don’t play them out.

Johnny K

Reaction score
Honestly. I have it because it looks goods sitting behind the 16" floor tom when i do a 2 up 2 down set up. I hit it twice at the last gig, and it was twice more than necessary. The gig before that, I ddint even hit it.

My 19" K Custom Hybrid China is the cherry in my Manhattan. Do I need it? No. Do I want it. Hell yeah!

If I'm playing 2 up 2 down, it's always gonna be my 16" floor tom's buddy.

Ang

Reaction score
I have used chinas in the past, depends on the band I was playing with. I've owned a 14" Zildjian Oriental china (sold), a Wuhan 18" (broke this one) still own a 18" A Zildjian China Low and a 22" K Con. Swish with 6 rivets , this one is beautiful sounding as a ride or an accent china/crash. Which ever one I use, it's always above the floor tom.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly. I have it because it looks goods sitting behind the 16" floor tom when i do a 2 up 2 down set up. I hit it twice at the last gig, and it was twice more than necessary. The gig before that, I ddint even hit it.

My 19" K Custom Hybrid China is the cherry in my Manhattan. Do I need it? No. Do I want it. Hell yeah!

If I'm playing 2 up 2 down, it's always gonna be my 16" floor tom's buddy.
I'm on the opposite side--I have to be careful not to overuse mine because it just sounds so damn gooooood....

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I'm in a metal band and set out to find the right China last year. Went through half a dozen maybe and came to a Zildjian Oriental CLASSIC. It is sweet.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I've had a lot of Chinas over the years:

16" 18" 20" & 22" Wuhan China Lions
18" Rancan
18" Paiste 2oo2, x2, Black & red ink
18" Paiste RUDE
20" Sabian B8 Pro
18" Sabian AA
18" Sabian AAX
14" Sabian AAX
20" Sabian HH
18" Sabian AA Fast Chinese w/ 6 rivets
18" Zildjian China Boy (high)

17" Meinl Custom Shop
20" UFiP Rough Series
23" Soultone FXO 6 w/4 rivets

The last three sound the best and are used most often.

Last edited:

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh, I own about 6 or 7, including an apparently now-difficult-to-find 18 A Custom Rezo Pang. For many years my go-to was a 17" K brilliant China that I bought used in '91, but I just CANNOT get either Holy China off my stands recently...

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
Oh, I own about 6 or 7, including an apparently now-difficult-to-find 18 A Custom Rezo Pang. For many years my go-to was a 17" K brilliant China that I bought used in '91, but I just CANNOT get either Holy China off my stands recently...
I love my 17" Brilliant K.. in fact, I have 2

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Soultone Gospel chinas: 15", 90 degrees to my left. 17", 80 degrees to my right just above my ride. I use them both all the time. (the 17" gets used more often). I've had China's setup like that since around 1990. You will use them depending on the music. For example: If you play rock like Rush or Queensryche you will use them all the time.

Latest posts