Got A New Set Of Sabian HHX Complex Cymbals

Core Creek

Reaction score
A few months ago while in my local Sam Ash there was an 18" Sabian HHX Complex Thin Crash that just sounded spectacular. I've been fighting the urge to try out a set, and I finally lost the battle. I got a good discount on a brand new set that included a pair of 14" Complex Hi Hats, 16" Complex Thin Crash, 18" Complex Thin Crash and a 20" Complex Medium Ride. I also found a great deal on a used HHX 10" splash, and it all happened to show up today.

I also recently traded a beat up kit of Yamaha Stage Customs for a cool set of PDP maples, in sizes I prefer, and I got new heads to go around. The kit sounds awesome, and so do the cymbals.

For years my go-to cymbals were Sabian AA's, and I only played 18" AA Thin crashes. Then maybe 12 years ago I got a set of Zildjian A customs all around. I also have a set of Dream Bliss 13" hi hats, 20" bliss ride, and 17" contact crash. Years ago I had a set of Sabian HH's that I enjoyed, but just didn't feel like they rocked enough and ended up selling them.

Overall I love the HHX complex set. Clearly my tastes have been evolving over the years, and I'm starting to enjoy more complex cymbals, with more overtones and complex sounds. I'm surprised by the 16" crash.... I haven't owned a 16" crash in probably 20 years, and this one is just perfect. Perhaps a tad higher pitch than I usually prefer, but the overtones make up for it and create a great cymbal. The 18" doesn't disappoint at all, and I think has a better overall character than my A Custom Thin Crashes. It also works great as a ride, and the bell stands out like on any good ride cymbal. The 20" ride is stelllar. It has a nice wash, but the bell is solid and really stands out. The further out on the edge you get the more shimmer to the cymbal, but is really controllable toward the middle. It's also an excellent crash.

The hi-hats will take a little getting used to. They're definitely darker than I'm used to, but I'm ok with that. They remind me of the 13" Bliss hi hats, but with a much lower pitch and more overall darkness. I miss the crispness of the A custom hi hats, but then again, that's why I got these - I really needed a change. And the splash is a good compliment to the rest of the set. I prefer smaller splashes (8" - but they don't make one - only a 7" which I will probably seek out used).

So I'm really happy with the purchase. Initially I was only going to buy an 18" crash and see what I thought from there, but buying the full set was pretty much like getting one cymbal for free, and at this price point, each cymbal is pretty expensive. I need to live with them awhile longer to really get a feel for them, but my initial impression is that I'm really happy I went for it. I needed a change and these fit the bill. And oh, I still have my A Customs, so I can go back and forth if I want.

HHX 1.JPG

HHX 2.JPG

Quai34

Reaction score
They are awesome cymbals!!! I was close to buy a 16" inch but, as you said, it was a bit too high to glue well with the Meiñl that I have and bought the Sabian Artisan at the end. But I have the 10" and 7" splash and they are super complex too....I also have the HHX 10" splash, I love splash so, I know what I say when I talk about the complex ones...
I will have to buy a full set like you to be able to appreciate them, because I will have to move some of my current Cymbals on the set to have them at their best, you did well in taking the set.

Last edited:

Core Creek

Reaction score
I just played them again and I’m even more impressed. These cymbals are so musical. I’m already adjusted to the darker hi hats and I love how they sound. I still don’t like 16” cymbals much, but this one is quick - almost splash like, and I’m still glad I got it… but it’s off to my right where I hit it less than the 18”. The whole set just makes me want to play jazz and I haven’t played jazz in 20 years.

peter

Reaction score
Great cymbals - these along with Meinl's BFR's are some of the finest designs released by the bigger companies in the past while.

Would be nice if they did the same hand-hammering on the bottom as they do on the top... But then if it sounds good, it IS good. And they definitely sound good.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do these compare to the HH's you owned, specifically the hats? I'm thinking of getting some HH's for a more meaty sound but I hear good things about the Complex hats.

Core Creek

Reaction score
I haven’t owned my old HH set for over ten years, so I can’t really compare. My feeling toward the AAX vs the regular AA was the AAX line was a bit louder and brighter. But I can’t confirm that. Perhaps that’s true of the HHX compared to the HH. Unfortunately it’s been too long to remember. I will say, the hi hats are awesome. The whole set is awesome. They really are… complex. I’m really glad I got them.