Got bit recently by the Summit bug

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Yup, ordered a Mahogany kit (22/13/16) with Slingerland Beavertail lugs. There’s gonna be a long wait, because Gary’s got a one employee shop. That way, I can change my mind…

Then I got this. A red Oak 6.5x13 snare and damn it sounds good. So now, I’m thinking of going with an Oak kit. The pic of the kit is the mahogany. But I’m thinking the oak may be more of what I’m looking for sonically. Never had an oak kit before but have had a mahogany kit.

What do y’all think?

DA903DD7-1AE7-4D7D-A6BE-E1C641F9ABBC.jpeg
C502EFB2-CE0D-48E6-A4D1-3CF833E80A23.jpeg
E61F4265-C4C4-4082-A9ED-901F87A7DCDE.jpeg

Last edited:

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well I’m partial to the mahogany kit but for playing live the oak kit makes more sense.

T_Weaves

Reaction score
That snare looks killer. That grain with the black hardware really contrasts nicely. I'm more of a maple or walnut guy myself when it comes to shell layup but I'll bet a solid shell oak would be heard not just by the neighbors, but across an entire neighborhood! :director:

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mahogany all day long and Slingerland Sound King repro lugs over the Beavertails - but that's just me. Regardless of the appearance, I like the Worldmax versions of those lugs the best.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prefer mahogany over oak. Love the kit as pictured other than bass spurs.

Had a Yamaha oak snare. Oak is loud and monotone. I'd go M and play the oak snare.

kallen49

Reaction score
Beautiful grain on that oak snare!

I had a Yamaha Oak custom kit, sounded great, also had beautiful grain, but I believe it's a harder wood than mahogany,
I wonder what Gary at Summit thinks about the sonic differences between oak and mahogany (and what kind of mahogany is available these days?)

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Beautiful grain on that oak snare!

I had a Yamaha Oak custom kit, sounded great, also had beautiful grain, but I believe it's a harder wood than mahogany,
I wonder what Gary at Summit thinks about the sonic differences between oak and mahogany (and what kind of mahogany is available these days?)
He prefers mahogany.

MitchLyons

Reaction score
I don't think you'll notice a massive volume difference between the oak and mahogany, they're still drums and will project with the right heads and tuning, but the oak will probably be a little bit better for live use. I'd go for oak personally, but I'm sure either will sound great.

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a Summit snare lately, but I've tapped my drum budget for a while and don't really have any need for another snare unless its a 14x8 cast bronze with bronze hoops, but that's a totally different conversation lol.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mahogany, the Oak kit is going to be heavier to transport. Or glass half full guy says the Oak will not blow away so easy in the storm.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally if I was to get another Summit kit I might consider Sassafras . It is a tad fatter than maple , very lightweight shells and it has a very wide tuning range .

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Them’s my drums. You would love ‘em. But I know Gary loves the oak and does great work with it too. I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree snare coming from him that is an oak relative.
View attachment 510921 View attachment 510922
"Kentucky Coffee"?....seriously?
Mahogany is tried and proven with a pretty impressive track record these last few decades.
Read what Keller has to say about their vintage mahogany shells, which has become an industry standard with most "custom" builders. Oak and all the rest of the new guys in the biz are going to have to earn their place in line.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Want a more modern sound? Can Gary make steambent MDF?

In all seriousness though, even though I much prefer glittery wraps over naked wood, I'd do an exception for these. And I'd go mahogany. But I don't already own a mahogany set.