Got to handpick some Funch (2 x 22" Old K IIIb Clones compared) (ELVIN JONES TRIBUTE20" DEMO ADDED)

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got to do a trip to Denmark to visit Funch Cymbals this week. Whopping 12 hours in the train in one day. Exhausted afterwards but it was totally worthy the trip.
My timing was pretty much perfect, Lasse had about 50 cymbals for testing, and this time there was plenty of heavier individuals too, which suited me great, since I'm already well covered in the lighter end.

After thorough testing and narrowing down, I ended up with
15" Nefertiti hihats 864/1132 gr
20" Elvin Jones tribute 1881 gr (really nice, relatively clean kind of K-sound)

and then two 22" Old K IIIb Clones that were close in weight (2538 and 2600 gr), but quite different in character.
The lighter one has smaller bell and is more polite and sweet. Heavier one has bigger intermediate type bell with dense hammering, and it has more volume, aggression and dragon breath. A cymbal that can be "nasty" if needed, but the weight keeps it check, it doesn't explode by itself.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with these. I feel that these cymbals are really "me".

And also, these are brand new, hammered and lathed under 2 weeks ago, which means they only get sweeter in following months.

Did a comparison video of the 22"s.
Demoing the Elvin and hats later.

Lasse Funch
IMG_20211018_140757__01__01.jpg

The haul
IMG_20211018_140932__01.jpg

2600 gr Old K Clone
IMG_20211019_090546__01.jpg

The hammered big bell
IMG_20211019_090605__01.jpg

2538 gr Old K Clone
IMG_20211019_090330__01.jpg

Last edited:

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They both sound fantastic (I'm partial to the lighter one, but that's just me). Nicely done indeed! It really makes me wish I lived a few thousand miles closer to Denmark!

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a worthwhile trip!! Congrats of continuing to build the collection with such nice pieces. And thanks for sharing the videos, enjoyed the playing and the great cymbals!

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loving the (a)22 and the 20. This is eye opening, I might’ve thought that first 22 was a little heavy for my taste but I’d be so wrong. That extra few hundred grams on this particular cymbal sounds like it lends a nice definition and clarity, but doesn’t get at all overly pingy or dilute the beautiful wash happening underneath. Certainly one of the best sounding rides I’ve ever had the pleasure of hearing. Same for the 20. See, being in Europe might suck if you’re trying to import a Bonham kit from Illinois, but hey - you can take a train to Funchland!

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Loving the (a)22 and the 20. This is eye opening, I might’ve thought that first 22 was a little heavy for my taste but I’d be so wrong. That extra few hundred grams on this particular cymbal sounds like it lends a nice definition and clarity, but doesn’t get at all overly pingy or dilute the beautiful wash happening underneath. Certainly one of the best sounding rides I’ve ever had the pleasure of hearing. Same for the 20. See, being in Europe might suck if you’re trying to import a Bonham kit from Illinois, but hey - you can take a train to Funchland!
Thank you for your kind words! Almost poetic. :)
The lighter 22" and 20" were with me on couple of gigs last weekend, on acoustically 2 quite different room and they really delivered. They sounded even sweeter than in my rehearsal room, where the videos are made.
Can't wait to play the heavier 22" on a gig, when bit of extra volume is needed.

You're absolutely right, they play bit lighter than factory cymbals in similar weight.
I tested many in that 2500-2600 weight range and they were pretty much all killers. Not pingy or cold at all. The weight just helped the pitch sit bit higher and wash stay in control.

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is the pricing on these? They sound fantastic.