Grabbed a vintage Sonor Phonic

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never used a clear reso on the bass. Never dug the vibe.
But those look cool with a clear. Why is that? Did they ever use clear reso heads in Sonor catalogs?

I vote clear.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing beat CS clear black dot on Phonics, if you ask me. Clear ambie's on the bottom.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not even all of it in that pic, missing some toms and 3 snares. Most of it is inside out but I have an 8, 22, and 2 12s outside only. When I had to travel for work I would come across these either in a shop or online and have em shipped home. I ended up buying 7 kits over a ten year span. The rosewood being natural really varied and some just looked odd. I sold a 16 floor that looked just like the one on the cover of the 83 catalog and it was so dark it did not match anything else. Since then I have sold a duplicates like an 18 floor, a bop 12 14 18, and 2 kits 13 14 16 22.

I am only missing 2 drums from the series; the 6 (too small and never seen one for sale) and the 20. The 20 is pretty rare and I have a standing offer for one in the Midwest for 1k but I think I have filled enough holes in my head.

My wife used to give me some real grief till a few years back. She said we have a 3500 bill for something I can't remember what. I said no worries, give me 2 weeks I should sell some crap. It took a week. One inside out bop out the door for 3500 plus shipping. It had the internal parrallel muffler system making the bass drum really heavy, like Shelley Manne this thing is too heavy heavy. Handed her the cash, she said oh you sold a good one? Response "they are all good love, but I have another one I like better without the muffler."

I should get off my old duff and sell another bunch of dupes.

Hey OP, you know I am about 30 minutes up 80 from you. If you need anything, hit me up.
Good to know the story about how you ended up with the Sonor museum/antiques roadshow collection of Sonor Phonics. I'll say this about them: the more I play them, the more I like them... and I've already liked them for many years now. One day when we all get vaccinated, I'd like to witness your drums in person and hope you don't mind me inviting myself. I'd bring along my 13 and 14 and maybe the 24 just to find out how close they all sound, being from the same family yet somewhat rare to find in the wild.

BTW, if you happen to have any white wrap Phonic standard 10 and 12 dupes, I'd be more than happy to work out a deal for them.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good to know the story about how you ended up with the Sonor museum/antiques roadshow collection of Sonor Phonics. I'll say this about them: the more I play them, the more I like them... and I've already liked them for many years now. One day when we all get vaccinated, I'd like to witness your drums in person and hope you don't mind me inviting myself. I'd bring along my 13 and 14 and maybe the 24 just to find out how close they all sound, being from the same family yet somewhat rare to find in the wild.

BTW, if you happen to have any white wrap Phonic standard 10 and 12 dupes, I'd be more than happy to work out a deal for them.
We should do that for sure. Got a 13 and 16 floor in white. Would love to do a SFBay area beer garden meetup sometime. A few NorCal guys on here.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No Sonor required, just looking at DFO NorCal locals. Maybe not the best timing but will have it on the back burner.

Pliny the Younger maybe down the road?

Camco always welcome!

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just an update to this. After adding one of Frank's 12s to this kit, I fell in love with the Coated Ambassador over Clear Ambassador he had on that (I previously had White Suede Emperor over Clear Ambassador. Also swapped the PS3 on the kick for a Fiberskyn Ambassador. Starting to get this really dialed in now -- especially happy with the kick and snares, toms need a little bit of bottom head work, but they're getting close.

First clip is with an old Premier Olympic that I've been working on cleaning up (It was my Great Uncle's snare) -- Skyntone head + Grover cable snares on this one. I had planned on setting it up as a concert drum, but I'm loving the blend it has with the Phonics. Second clip is the D505 w/ Hella hoops.

http://instagr.am/p/CKKYqxfBk7L/

This post is just some pics -- did a full detailing on the original 13-16-24 kit, trying to get it up to the level of Frank's 12 :).

http://instagr.am/p/CKKUzJ5hF5S/

I have an 18" Champion Rosewood floor tom on the way that will need quite a bit of TLC, but the goal is to add that to this kit, too.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

mpthomson

Reaction score
I've never used a clear reso on the bass. Never dug the vibe.
But those look cool with a clear. Why is that? Did they ever use clear reso heads in Sonor catalogs?

I vote clear.
Yes, normally with a felt strip behind the Sonor lettering so it was visible.