Graduated thickness drum heads

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This just makes so much sense to me. I put an AmbassadorX on my 16" floor tom and boom! It just opened right up.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seems like it would make more sense if all of your drums were the same diameter. But increasing the thickness as you increase the diameter seems to me to negate increasing the diameter.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Great trick. Back before thicker single ply heads were available, my teacher Matt (jazzdrummer on here) hipped me to using coated Ambs on racks and coated Emps on floor toms.

I have a fantastic 70s Sonor bop kit (12/14/16, 18) but was having a hard time with the 14 and 16 floors for a while. Eventually settled on coated ambassadors on both sides of 12 and 14, AmbX on the 16. They sound absolutely stunning, perfectly balanced and cohesive. The kick is great as is, but I'll probably try ambX on it next time I rehead.

I've got a concert tom kit I've thought about setting up as diplomat, ambassador, amb X, amb X14, vint Emp. Just totally stagger head ply thickness the whole way down.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I switched my kit over to Ambassador X's from Emperors and my floor tom sounds WAY better now, and actually feels like it has more bottom end, which isn't what I expected.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
This totally makes sense. I have used this theory before and it works for me. If I play two up, I use the same heads on both rack toms, but I often play one up anyway.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Phil Collins used clear Diplomats for the first two, smallest toms. Then clear Ambassadors on the larger toms and clear Emperors on the floor toms.

On my Tama Star Walnut kit, when I run 10”12”14” up, 16”18” down I mostly use coated Diplomat for the 10”, coated Ambassador for the rest. I have a hard time liking 10” and smaller drums with double ply or thick heads. Too choked to my ears.