Grand Funk. Highly Underated!

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Growing up in the 60s and 70s, I learned to love Grand Funk. However, I never got to experience them live or see them on TV until YouTube. This video is a precious gem of how funky and tight they were as a band. Basically Sly and the Family Stone’s rock and roll cousin.

They were a real band and they gave everything on stage. Mark Farner is amazing and Don Brewer is such a power groove player. I can only describe him as Greg Errico and John Bonham combined.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
100% agree, GFR was my first concert, at the Bahhhston Garden, Bloodrock opened for them, quite the twin bill, they blew the roof off....."Heres' the group you have been waiting to see" then BAM they hit the stage.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
so much written about GFR even Michael Moore defended them.. they were the first band to sell out Shea Stadium since the Beatles.. I think)
relationship with Terry Knight is a chapter and a half; also the Keyboard player (Craig Frost) was their old friend that came in/out of the band.... Saw them twice- once in their prime- and again in 96 when Don was playing (purple) Peavey drums : ) outside concert in daylight; as good as ever.
Loved them still do but it was (ingrained) a Long time ago..

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
(found it)..
check T.J. Ash - 5 part- Series on them..

it's amazing what they did
they "conquered" (captured) the (70s) world in a similar way the Police did later in the 80s

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

WLVN

Reaction score
I was hooked on them when I got the specially priced Grand Funk Live Album. We ripped the drum parts off in no time when I was twelve years old.

One of my first rock concerts was GFR! Saw them twice at Sam Houston Coliseum, Houston, TX in 1971 backed by Tower Of Power and Bloodrock (I think). Then again saw them in the late nineties at Aerial Theater (Bayou Music Center).

There's some good footage of the crowd shaking Shea stadium almost to pieces.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
had all their albums up to 1971..

then quit on them

but that Survival (with Gimme shelter) Lp, I remember listening to it the day I brought it home.

remember how the drum sound changed on that album but was still good.; the snare
how it was recorded

read the first paragraph (! : D
Whoa.....flashback time!!!!
I remember bringing that album home, sticking it on the turntable and was totally blown away by the snare drum sound....it just grabbed me so much I ran downstairs and grabbed my Simpson Sears snare and took it back into the living room and tried to get that sound....and yup a tea towel worked perfectly. The infatuation was very brief but still....
GRF were amazing and Mel Schacher was the cats ass in those daze...
bt

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Never saw them live, but they were a favorite band of mine.

This makes me think back to riding in the car with my older brother, with Grand Funk blasting on his 8-track player!

We used to play Footstompin' Music in the bars back in the 70's.

I always liked this one too:

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Saw them on the Closer To Home tour,1970.
Bloodrock opened.
GFR kicked major ass but Brewer is not one of my favs.
Mel was badazz
As was Mark

Torquey

Reaction score
Growing up in the 60s and 70s, I learned to love Grand Funk. However, I never got to experience them live or see them on TV until YouTube. This video is a precious gem of how funky and tight they were as a band. Basically Sly and the Family Stone’s rock and roll cousin.

They were a real band and they gave everything on stage. Mark Farner is amazing and Don Brewer is such a power groove player. I can only describe him as Greg Errico and John Bonham combined.

Enjoy!
I always loved the band. I saw them 4 times (once in the front row) over the years and got Don Brewer to autograph my drum head. Real Rock & Roll.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think alot of people dismiss them because of "Some Kind of Wonderful", "Locomotion", etc.. But most of their other stuff was great and they killed live.
I personally think it's one of the greatest songs ever. Great Melody, great vocals, great beat, great breakdown. Excellent song. And one of my all-time favorites.

Never had a chance to see GFR live. However, a woman I worked with years ago--she and her hubby were good friends with the Band. I ended up with Signature pair of sticks and a guitar pick. Very cool.

A talented band for sure.

towndog

Reaction score
I had a chance to meet Don Brewer at an after party event a few years back when he was playing drums for Bob Seger. A friend of mine hooked me up and I got to sit down and chat with Don for about an hour.
Very down to earth - when my friend told him the band I was in was doing a few GFR songs including "Rock and Roll Soul" Don asked me if I played it like the studio version or the "live" version and actually seemed interested in our conversation.