Grand Funk. Highly Underated!

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My dad spent most of his life playing piano in a traditional/celtic music outfit and occasionaly accompanying jazz singers or playing jazz ambiant music for cocktail gatherings and such.

I saw him in a totally different light when I started playing in a rock band in my late teens and he showed me pics of himself playing B3 in a Grand Funk tribute band when he was 20 or so. Way, way out of character for him...

So since then, I've always liked them, as they remind me that my dad once could rock, hard!

But sappy personal history chapter aside, GFR were bad MoFos and I've spent many a late night YT sessions down the GFR rabbit hole...

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Got to see them live back in '99. Helluva show. They had the headlining spot on Friday night of a 3 day music festival that used to be put on every spring in downtown pensacola.

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Their live album is imprinted in my DNA - it was on my turntable daily for awhile. They were a great band and a big favorite.

I went to a Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp 10 years ago and Mark Farner was one of the “counselors”. Thankfully he kept his shirt on. He was still a killer and it was inspiring to see him play close up!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this guy does his thing...

on Brewer. Pretty accurate. Don's playing thruout a song was another chapter in his playing. This fella takes on his solo..

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Too bad that Brewer and Farner had that nasty split. They had been musical brothers for a LONG time, having met in 1967 when they were still teenagers.

I remember hearing about Brewer and Farner before GFR. They were in Terry Knight's band that had a hit with I WHO HAVE NOTHING and were low-level Detroit/Flint area legends along with the bigger names Nugent and Seger.

Knight was GFR's manager until 1974. I believe the eventual Farner/Brewer split was much later and had nothing to do with Terry Knight.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark Farner remade Some Kind Of Wonderful after he got religion . I was going to spare you folks the link but then thought heck why not . It’s one way I can irritate without fear of a ban ...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used to have Grand Funk frisbee...they threw them out into the audience..
Phoenix 1972 it was in the shape of a record I was at that show (tour). Here it is..

(I sold it Hope I got a lot of money for it can't remember)

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
So it's as simple as reducing the split of whatever money "Grand Funk Railroad" generates from 3 to 2 people?
Actually, I was just having a little wordplay fun with your chosen screen name, though money is the likely culprit. There's a Farner interview on Youtube where he discusses what went down between him and Brewer. I'm sure Brewer has his own version of the story, but AFIK, he's never talked publicly about it.

EDIT: I see Steven has posted the Farner interviews. Thanks, Steven!

Here's another one from 2018:

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If what Mark says here is factual, then Don Brewer is a total weasel in my opinion.

Regardless of whether or not all of Mark's testimony is 100% accurate, it's stuff like this that makes me feel somewhat better that I never "made it" as a commercially successful drummer. I've met and talked to only a few famous musicians, and once the conversation got candid, it was never too long before references were made to lawyers and contracts.

moneydog59

Reaction score
I'd sure like to hear Mr. Brewer's side of the story...I've heard a couple with him but this was never talked about.

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
Being from Michigan, this story is one I have heard often. Don never comes out looking good, he comes out as a weasel who screwed over Mark pretty badly. It's really quite sad as a GFR reunion would be on my list of concerts I would love to see.