Great day out in the sun! Vintage Gold Sparkle!

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So whenever we fly to gigs, I ask that I get a "Vintage Ludwig drumkit circa 1960-1975" on our tech rider. Usually, this means a brand new Yamaha or Pearl kit. Which I play and tweak to get a sound I like. I'll usually bring along my Acro so that my snare sound is just right.

But on this loverly day, the rental company had recently acquired a Vintage 67' Gold Sparkle Super Classic. And my rider came through! It was JUST gorgeous. The rail mount was quite the pain. It kept slipping, and I could really position the kit where I wanted because of it, but all in all, that warm 3-ply sound I've come to know via my Standards kit was all there in full glory. And it sounded amazing. They added a 70's Supra to the mix as well that I played instead of my Acro.

I know you guys would enjoy the pics, so I took a few quickly before we rolled the kit on stage. They are with my iPhone so forgive the quality.

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What an awesome drum set - Beautiful!!! But are those Champagne?

Either way those are gorgeous drums!

Thanks for the pictures.

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beautiful drums, bet they sounded good.

I'm certainly not an expert but isn't that champagne sparkle rather than gold sparkle?

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Right! I was wondering? I'm no pro on the Sparkles? I guess it's champagne? Either way, they looked and sounded fantastic. I'm waiting for some press shots to come in, so I can see how they looked right up there on stage.

gingerb91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have Gold Sparkle, and that is not it. It's definitely Champagne. Also, that Rail mount probably didn't work because it has been tampered with. Some of the pieces non there were not original.

Jnas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
did anyone notice the round muffler knob on the bottom of the floor tom... did ludwig do that?

Reaction score
The rack tom's on upside down, just like the sixties! I bet they played great.

katfish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jnas said:
did anyone notice the round muffler knob on the bottom of the floor tom... did ludwig do that?

Yes, the Ludwig toms could be ordered with double tone controls back then, but that one isn't original. It's not directly below the batter side tone control, and it doesn't have the baseball bat lever which was standard in 1967. The round muffler knobs started in mid 1968 along with the clear maple interiors.

BTW, that is indeed champagne sparkle.

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
JayT said:
So whenever we fly to gigs, I ask that I get a "Vintage Ludwig drumkit circa 1960-1975" on our tech rider. Usually, this means a brand new Yamaha or Pearl kit. Which I play and tweak to get a sound I like. I'll usually bring along my Acro so that my snare sound is just right.

But on this loverly day, the rental company had recently acquired a Vintage 67' Gold Sparkle Super Classic. And my rider came through! It was JUST gorgeous. The rail mount was quite the pain. It kept slipping, and I could really position the kit where I wanted because of it, but all in all, that warm 3-ply sound I've come to know via my Standards kit was all there in full glory. And it sounded amazing. They added a 70's Supra to the mix as well that I played instead of my Acro.

I know you guys would enjoy the pics, so I took a few quickly before we rolled the kit on stage. They are with my iPhone so forgive the quality.

*rainman voice* said:
Yeah, champagne sparkle, definitely champagne sparkle, yeah, definitely not gold sparkle, yeah.

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It was really a lot of fun.

And yes, I really couldn't figure out the double mufflers. Both toms in fact had knob mufflers on top and bottoms! The other muffler on the rack tom is out of the shot.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
JayT said:
Both toms in fact had knob mufflers on top and bottoms! The other muffler on the rack tom is out of the shot.
Hmmm?
Factory doubles were usually in line with each other. Probably the bottom ones were added later on these drums.

Beautiful Champagne set nonetheless...I bet it was a real treat to show up at the gig and see those waiting on the stage.