Great deal on a Slingerland kit at GC!

dirtysicks

Reaction score
I went by GC near my job and they have this great looking Slingerland 3pc kit for $399! I’m not sure if this kit has been refinished it if this is the original finish but it looks and sounds great in person and that price is stupid low. Just wanted to pass the deal along if anyone wanted to bite. I typically would have gotten it myself but I just acquired a 3ply Slingerland kit a few days ago and a 3pc Tama Granstar kit today.
80F9C9B8-CEDF-4267-802B-27C6F7C2A60F.jpeg

dirtysicks

Reaction score
They also had what I believe is a matching Slingerland 5x14 Buddy Rich TDR snare snare for $169 so I put that on layaway. Here’s a pic that I got of it before I left. It sounded really good. Looked to have a thick 5ply shell.
CA805239-3EC3-45BD-94B2-A0C4A1E4C715.jpeg

SKSMITH

Reaction score
Nice snare! Looks like somebody replaced the Sticksaver hoops with die-case hoops, still an unbelievable deal for a TDR snare.
Steve

dirtysicks

Reaction score
Nice snare! Looks like somebody replaced the Sticksaver hoops with die-case hoops, still an unbelievable deal for a TDR snare.
Steve
Yeah I noticed that too but it’s not too hard to replace the stick saver hoops if I ever felt the need to.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Killer snare! I have one from 1959 that is wonderful and so woody. I have stick savers on it but I've always wondered what it would sound like with diecasts. I may need to swap them out on one of my other snares and try it out. What are the sizes of that kit? Thinking 13/16/22?

dirtysicks

Reaction score
Killer snare! I have one from 1959 that is wonderful and so woody. I have stick savers on it but I've always wondered what it would sound like with diecasts. I may need to swap them out on one of my other snares and try it out. What are the sizes of that kit? Thinking 13/16/22?
The sizes are 12x8, 16x16, & 22x14 and it really did look great when I saw it at the store.

m_anderson

Reaction score
Wait... I just check and maybe it’s a glitch but it’s still showing online.
I can see it. Would need to get a closer look. Not original BD hoops, probably doesn't have the Slingerland tom mount (not pictured) and don't see any tom legs. Still nice. Very much like my first kit I bought in 1978.

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I put it in my cart. They took it out. Happens all the time. You can see the item but can't purchase.

dirtysicks

Reaction score
I can see it. Would need to get a closer look. Not original BD hoops, probably doesn't have the Slingerland tom mount (not pictured) and don't see any tom legs. Still nice. Very much like my first kit I bought in 1978.
It has the Slingerland Tom mount and bass legs in a bag next to the kit in store.

m_anderson

Reaction score
They also had what I believe is a matching Slingerland 5x14 Buddy Rich TDR snare for $169 so I put that on layaway. Here’s a pic that I got of it before I left. It sounded really good. Looked to have a thick 5ply shell.
Well, you inspired me to dig this out of the closet and give it a quick once over cleaning. It deserves better, and I'll get around to it one day soon. I haven't touched this drum in thirteen years. I bought this in 1978 from JC's Drum Shop on Bel Air Road in Baltimore. It's the first wood snare drum I ever bought, and I haven't touched a metal snare drum since. It was purely coincidental that I had bought my Slingerland kit from Music Land in Bel Air, MD the same year, with whatever the standard Slingerland metal snare drum was. I just happened to walk into John's shop a few months later, and there was this snare drum that perfectly matched my walnut finished Slingerland kit.

I gigged with this snare drum for 28 years, until I bought my TAMA kit in 2006. This has a Teakwood outer layer, which I didn't know until it was refinished by Keith Larson at Baltimore Drums. Has some signs of age, but still a beauty. I have always loved the snare design on this drum, which I suppose is what you are referring to as TDR.

Too damn hot here to take it outside for better photos.

dirtysicks

Reaction score
Well, you inspired me to dig this out of the closet and give it a quick once over cleaning. It deserves better, and I'll get around to it one day soon. I haven't touched this drum in thirteen years. I bought this in 1978 from JC's Drum Shop on Bel Air Road in Baltimore. It's the first wood snare drum I ever bought, and I haven't touched a metal snare drum since. It was purely coincidental that I had bought my Slingerland kit from Music Land in Bel Air, MD the same year, with whatever the standard Slingerland metal snare drum was. I just happened to walk into John's shop a few months later, and there was this snare drum that perfectly matched my walnut finished Slingerland kit.

I gigged with this snare drum for 28 years, until I bought my TAMA kit in 2006. This has a Teakwood outer layer, which I didn't know until it was refinished by Keith Larson at Baltimore Drums. Has some signs of age, but still a beauty. I have always loved the snare design on this drum, which I suppose is what you are referring to as TDR.

Too damn hot here to take it outside for better photos.

That is a gorgeous drum!!

m_anderson

Reaction score
That is a gorgeous drum!!
You got one just like it now! I think you'll love it. Mine was originally the walnut finish you have, and I am curious if yours also has the Teakwood outer layer. When Keith refinished them, I had him do burgundy over the brown walnut stain on the whole kit, and it actually turned out really cool with a rather unique hue, more so on the toms and bass drum.

We need to compare serial numbers. Mine is 477686. Let me know what yours is when you have a chance to check it. Just my 2¢, but if it were me, I'd have to find a set of original Slingerland hoops for that drum. Looks like it is in excellent condition.

Latest posts