Great feel/classic song.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
I need to record this and finding it hard. What do you think he’s playing on this tune? Is it two hands with light 8ths on the snare, or is that a tom tuned high in there? I’m finding it hard to play this feel. So relaxed, great swing to it. Thought it was Keltner but it’s Steve Jordan. If you have a similar good swampy groove example, post it up. Great tune, I love the key change in this DeVille song.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Here is a live version. There’s an early shot of the drummer playing the beat and there’s added percussion.

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
"Candle lit, my eyes are slits." I just loved Mink Deville!

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Wrote a whole post and listened again

Yes to the two hands. And the end of the 4th bar of the intro there’s a flam on the snare. So you could do that. Or maybe a brush and stick?

Or he’s riding on his leg and ghosting it till he fills or plays the flams maybe

Last edited:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Scaggs version sounds like a second line groove re orchestrated on a cowbell, bass drum and an 8x12.

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mo grease. If you don’t have the original of this record buy it NOW. It’s legendary.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Exactly what I needed to hear on 06/08/20 . He does this very well . Wires off couple toms , brushes .

Willie de Ville is a deeper well . Those who know draw from it .

Soulfinger

Reaction score
What I hear (interpreted as double time for simplicity´s sake): snare rim click on 2 and 4 (very soft, maybe a wood hoop), bass drum on 1 in one bar and on "and 1" in the next. Off-beats on toms. The triangle, being hand-stopped, has to be an overdub or played by someone else.