Great Grandpa’s Drums

Reaction score
You are right .:angel3:
Hello we have a beautiful drum set and many accessories,6 vintage pedals and cymbals of various sizes .
Carl lindgren was in WWII and played the drums .He also to make extra money played Jazz jobs on the side.He was 88 when he did his last jazz gig. The drums are WFL(before serial numbers ) the one floor Tom has a serial and is Ludwig .
Would love to go to someone that would love them !!

thanks for looking
Michelle Johnson
949-542-9726

Attachments

Reaction score
Those look beautiful from what I can tell. I can already see that the floor tom is a Ludwig from probably the early 60's. It's possible that if the other drums are WFL that this set was originally a three piece and the floor tom was added on later? Everything looks beautifly white.
Thank you :)I think you are right and that is what grandpa did.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Would help to know the cymbal sizes that go with those stamps. But I'm going to guess the 1 old Paiste (50's/early 60's) and 1 old Italian have the flatter bells. Of the 4 Zildjians - 3 of them are 1930's 1st stamps, and the 4th/last photo is a late 50's small stamp. The last cymbal is the Zenjian (1933-1943)...actually made in Italy under UFIP. Most of those Zildjian first stamps are seen in small sizes, so those are probably splashes and small crashes - 10" to 14"....same comment for the Zenjian. The 2 Paistes and the Zildjian 50's are probably the largest cymbals....rides or ride/crashes - 16 to 20". I don't see any really valuable cymbals here unless my guess on the sizes is wrong. Wonder which of the 2 are matched hi hats?....maybe 2 of the 30's Zildjians in a 10"-12" size? Retail value I'd guess $250-$300 on the Zildjians, $50-$75 Zenjian, and $125-$200 on the Paiste's. Sizes, weights and conditions can alter that in either direction. Tattered edges and/or cracks being the most obvious. $400-$600 should cover the range. If sold with the entire kit expect about half of this value.

The Stanople "U" is an Italian made cymbal. The "Robert Paiste" Paiste is not one I'm familiar with. Ludwig floor tom serial number of 34,xxx probably puts it around 1964.

Last edited:

toddlittle827

Reaction score
Hi Michelle, is there any other engraving on the "Robert Paiste" cymbal? And if so, can you please post a picture? What size is the cymbal?

That cymbal is most likely a Paiste Stambul with a variant emboss logo from the very early days of the Swiss factory (circa 1957)

This is the first time I have ever seen this logo variation on a Paiste. There are other Stambuls out there with RP's name engraved on them (I have two in my collection) but the placement of the name is different, with it coming right above the Swiss Made, not at the top of the logo.

Also folks, that Stanople is definitely NOT a Paiste. That is an Italian made cymbal that predates Paiste's use of the Stanople name which came in the mid-60s.

Paiste made the Stanople cymbals (which were actually rebranded Dixies) for Ludwig starting sometime between 1965-67, I'm pretty sure these earlier Italian Stanoples were also sold by Ludwig (Leedy/Ludwig) too, so the name "Stanople" name might have belonged to Ludwig and was used for the budget imported cymbal lines they sold back then regardless of who the actual producer was.

The Italian Stanople seen here is from the 40s or 50s imo.

Last edited:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Hi Michelle, is there any other engraving on the "Robert Paiste" cymbal? And if so, can you please post a picture? What size is the cymbal?

That cymbal is most likely a Paiste Stambul with a variant emboss logo from the very early days of the Swiss factory (circa 1957)

This is the first time I have ever seen this logo variation on a Paiste. There are other Stambuls out there with RP's name engraved on them (I have two in my collection) but the placement of the name is different, with it coming right above the Swiss Made, not at the top of the logo.

Also folks, that Stanople is definitely NOT a Paiste. That is an Italian made cymbal that predates Paiste's use of the Stanople name which came in the mid-60s.

Paiste made the Stanople cymbals (which were actually rebranded Dixies) for Ludwig starting sometime between 1965-67, I'm pretty sure these earlier Italian Stanoples were also sold by Ludwig (Leedy/Ludwig) too, so the name "Stanople" name might of belonged to Ludwig and was used for the budget imported cymbal lines they sold back then regardless of who the actual producer was.

The Italian Stanople seen here is from the 40s or 50s imo.

Cool info! My cymbal knowledge is ok but not like this. Thanks for the lesson.

toddlittle827

Reaction score
There is a small group of us who have been researching the early days of Paiste (late 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s) since the company itself is not a good keeper (or publicly chooses not to do so) of its own history. We have learned a lot the last few years.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those are some pretty cool cymbals. The Uziuriope Stanople is surely the one on the upper right... they tend to have high, smoothly arching bells. I've got a couple of them, they are very unique. The "Robert Paiste" is probably a poor-sounding cymbal - those early swiss Paistes tended to be nickel-silver and not very musical - but as a historical archive it is quite interesting... nobody here has seen that logo before, which doesn't happen every day. I'm guessing it's the largest of the cymbals. The Zenjians are probably nice sounding - they were among the closest in sound to Zildjians in their day. And the older Zildjian pre-trans probably have good value, depending on their size and weight.

But I think the most interesting one is the "genuine swish". I've never seen a Zildjian china type cymbal that old, and certainly not with that stamp. I'm also guessing that it sounds great.

Latest posts