Great Lakes Drum Co. - new snare design

bfulton

Reaction score
I’m often late to the party, so please excuse me if this has already been posted!

I just looked at the GLD Co. site. There’s a new video about snare design. When the discussion is over, there’s a demo of a snare drum at a wide tuning range. Dang. Another snare drum has captured my heart.

check it out: https://www.greatlakesdrum.com/design

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's cool and I applaud Josh for his innovative designs (although I'm not sure I like those truss looking lugs) and this new bed design seems like a neat idea, but aren't the very wide and shallow beds on Ludwig metal snares sort of the same thing? I guess not if he can get a patent on his design but it would seem it's a similar concept. Nevertheless that's a mighty cool snare drum.

Joe61

Reaction score
I like the snare bed idea. The lugs look a bit industrial for my tastes but may work just fine. Would like to see a snare all chromed in including the lugs. Could be pretty.

So is he a Drum Company or a Drums Assembler?

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m thinking Ludwig invented this type of design many moons ago. Maybe he’s improved on it somehow, maybe a true elipse shape

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I understand the concept, but have never experienced the tuning issues that Josh talks about with any quality snare drum. I have owned plenty of cheap snares with really shoddy snare beds that cause tuning issues, but I generally recut the edges and put in a proper snare bed. Some snare drums can have fairly pronounced snare beds and if I ever run in to wrinkles in the snare side head, a little heat from a hair dryer contours the head to the bed shape and you are good to go.

Interesting concept with what Josh is doing, but I wonder if this design will lead to a large amount of sympathetic snare buzz.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
My '64 jazz fest has a very similar snare side. This was the first year for the wide snare beds on their wood snares. It extends from the snare wires almost all the way to the other side of the opposite snare bed. There is about 1 inch of flat unaltered bearing edge on each side of the drum between the two snare beds.

I suspect what makes Josh's design patentable is that there are no flat spots at any point on the bottom bearing edge. It is a constant flowing curve up and down around the drum. A sine wave as he describes is it the perfect description. I kind of suspected this was what he was going to do because this is really the only profile that makes any sense that has never been done on a snare drum as far as I know.

I would think a 1.6mm hoop would be much better than a 2.3 because it could bend and follow the contour of the edge much better than the 2.3.

While the Ludwig bed on my drum is very wide, it has three flat planes. Each snare bed and the two narrow parts of unaltered bearing edge in between. His has no flat planes.

What effect this ultimately has will be obvious when people start getting their hands on them.

bfulton

Reaction score
re: the lug design: bear in mind that every single one of these snares ill be a custom design, per the desire of the buyer. (I’m guessing here, but after looking at the site, I believe that’s right.)
So .... I’ll bet other luags would be available per order.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

bfulton

Reaction score
They really are hand made! I've been in Josh's shop, and have seen the hand roller he uses for shells, and the rivet gun. I've seen the small brass parts that are assembled into the lugs. And the 1/4 brass screws, and the Loc-tite for assembly.

With the Infinite Snare bed design, I think he'll cause a stir at PASIC.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They really are hand made! I've been in Josh's shop, and have seen the hand roller he uses for shells, and the rivet gun. I've seen the small brass parts that are assembled into the lugs. And the 1/4 brass screws, and the Loc-tite for assembly.

With the Infinite Snare bed design, I think he'll cause a stir at PASIC.
Does he machine the brass lugs in-house?

bfulton

Reaction score
The brass is cut locally by Kalamazoo Waterjet, per Josh’s specs. But they are definitely assembled, with spacers, brass screws, etc., in house. Most of the pieces require a little extra hand work to allow for proper assembly.
He’s pretty much the whole deal.

bfulton

Reaction score
The Great Lakes kit is impressive, and I love the resonance on my INDe kit. I am hoping that Josh's real claim to fame is the Infinite Snare Bed design. The idea could have legs!

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did y'all see the Great Lakes kit that was posted yesterday? Seems like sort of an A&F vibe? I love the vintage distressed look, not so sure about the overall sound in this video but maybe it's the tuning.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Got to check out one of the Inde Kalamazoo series snares at Revival today. 6.5” aluminum Great Lakes shell with Inde lugs. I wasn’t all that thrilled with it, actually, even though I’m a fan of Inde generally.

They had it tuned low, and the tone was kind of tin-can-ish, a little dissonant. I tuned it up to medium and it definitely improved, but still wasn’t anything to write home about. Probably with more time I could have dialed it in better. In my mind I’m comparing it to the same size of George Way metal shell, which always tuned up easily and sweetly for me.

The wavy seam looks cool and is sure a unique brand identity sign. Unfortunately the ends didn’t quite line up along the reso edge, so the head was a little distorted there. The continuous snare bed is a brilliant concept, I’m into it on paper, but the reso head and the snare wires sounded and acted just like any ordinary Ludwig drum, as far as I could tell in this instance.

I still support and encourage Inde, I just think this drum needs some more tinkering to get where it needs to be.