Great old 1968 Ludwig mahogany backline kit!

garysym

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
At a recent show in Springfield, Ohio (Clark State U) I was given the choice of a number of kits from the backline co., but the tech suggested I give this 1968 mahogany shell Psychedelic Red kit a go.

I was not disappointed! It tuned up easily and had a very full sound. I'm not particularly adept at describing drum sounds, but compared to maple, I would say slightly less attack with a rounder sound?

Lots of fun to play, and the Black Beauty snare was sweet, too.

I'd be interested to hear some of your thoughts about mahogany kitshow do you think they compare with maple?

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not really that much mahogany in those. The outer ply, maybe the inner ply, the fat center is always poplar. At some point in 1968 they went to the clear interiors which almost always had maple interiors but generally stil had mahogany exterior plies on wrapped drums. Prior to that there might be a maple or mahogany interior ply under the white paint depending on what they had on hand on a given day. At best you had two thin mahogany plies sandwiched over a fat poplar one and the set might have a mix of shell layups on different drums.

Having said all that though the sets with the mahogany interior plies do sound nice. I'm not much good at putting these things into words either but it seems to me that the drums with the mahogany interiors (and usually a mahogany exterior ply under the wrap) have a deeper tone and more rumble to them.

I just picked up a Psychedelic Red set a couple weeks ago. It's from 1971 so it has the clear lacquered maple interiors. Still sounds great though. Wish I could get my hands on that 14" floor tom you were using.

Attachments

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think that the soft attack has as much to do with the shell construction as does the bearing edge profile. Those old 3-plys were lively but the half round edge softened the sound.

My Luddies are mid-60's and they are players, non collectables...you know, with several extra holes, yellowed out WMP finish, a few pits and scars...so when I sent them to Precision for re-edging i had them do a double 45 over the center ply. That made a day and night difference in the tuning range, the attack, and the sustain. They sound great and that was what I was going for.