Great Outros

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are so many fantastic song intros that are instantly recognizable or completely bad ass, but we don't talk much about outros.

I was listening to Van Halen's '1984' yesterday, and besides being an overall great song, the last 15 seconds of "Girl Gone Bad" really blew me away like never before. I've heard this one dozens of time, but for some reason this particular listen really drove home how killer the ending is.

Do you have a favorite, or one that really sticks out in your mind?

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts 1-5 on Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. The song ends with David Gilmore playing an appregiated version of the iconic 4 note main riff of the song with the addition of using his pinky to alternately hit the 8 and 10 fret of the high E string over top of a bluesy Dick Parry sax solo as it fades out. A zillions years and many gray hairs later, the two of them did it again, acoustically. I spent may hours and dollars to make my own sound on sound rig to play it just as he does here. Might have to bone up on it again, since were not playing out much these days, and virtual open mic's are becoming a thing.

Last edited:

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
Some of my favorites off the top of my head...

Opeth - Deliverence
Tool - Lateralus
Dave Matthews Band - Drive In, Drive Out

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
There are so many fantastic song intros that are instantly recognizable or completely bad ass, but we don't talk much about outros.

I was listening to Van Halen's '1984' yesterday, and besides being an overall great song, the last 15 seconds of "Girl Gone Bad" really blew me away like never before. I've heard this one dozens of time, but for some reason this particular listen really drove home how killer the ending is.

Do you have a favorite, or one that really sticks out in your mind?

I could no agree more. I picked up 1984 at a yard sale for $1 and listed to it for weeks in my pick up. I was blown away how good AVH’s drum was. That outtro you posted us a great example. Listen to his drumming on the solo of Jump for some more mind blown.

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beatles - Helter Skelter. I love how it fades out then fades back in. Plus the anguished scream of Ringo is the icing on the cake.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So many memorable ones from different genres. Just a few that come to mind:

Led Zeppelin - Achilles' Last Stand (ending where it began, like it emerged from a mist, and fades back into)

Yes - Close to the Edge (sort of the same effect as Achilles' last stand, actually!)

Genesis - Watcher of the Skies from Foxtrot; the ending to the Seconds Out album (when it comes back to Squonk)

Magma - K.A. part III

The Muffins - The Adventures of Captain Boomerang

The Who - Baba O'Reilly, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again - basically everything from Who's Next...

Big Star - Daisy Glaze

Beach Boys - Surf's Up

Love - A House is Not a Motel and You Set the Scene from Forever Changes

Supergrass - Run (from Life on Other Planets) and Roxy (from Road to Rouen)

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I think of outros, I think of fade outs, no? @studrum mentioned Aja and to me that's the perfect example of a great outro with Steve vamping as it fades out...

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I think of outros, I think of fade outs, no? @studrum mentioned Aja and to me that's the perfect example of a great outro with Steve vamping as it fades out...
Wow, Aja, that has got to be in the top three. So good. I think I remember the Fagen and Becker would bring in several studio guys for a song, let them do their thing to it and decide who they were going to go with. I can only imagine what they were thinking when Gadd pulled that out of his back pocket.

Drm1979

Reaction score
Check out far cry by rush for a good outdo. It basically ends on a drum solo over the main guitar and bass riff that starts the song off.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
As Led Zep's "Custard Pie" is fading out, Bonham does a very simple but effective fill - crash-snare-crash - nothing fancy but so perfect. I always turn it up just so I can hear that fill before it fades out completely.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vital Signs by Rush....I never want the outro to end...Neil crushes it with tasty fills. Also, while I am thinking about Rush, Natural Science....Alex just starts lighting it up and it fades...has always driven me crazy.

Last edited:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow, Aja, that has got to be in the top three. So good. I think I remember the Fagen and Becker would bring in several studio guys for a song, let them do their thing to it and decide who they were going to go with. I can only imagine what they were thinking when Gadd pulled that out of his back pocket.
- I'd like to hear all the outtakes of these tunes.