Great Outros

Way Out Wardell

Reaction score
There are two drum-fill outros that stand out in my mind and they're about as different as could be. First, Billy Gusack at the end of 'Rock Around The Clock'. And then Mac McNeilly at the end of 'Mouth Breather' by The Jesus Lizard.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So many memorable ones from different genres. Just a few that come to mind:

Led Zeppelin - Achilles' Last Stand (ending where it began, like it emerged from a mist, and fades back into)

Yes - Close to the Edge (sort of the same effect as Achilles' last stand, actually!)

Genesis - Watcher of the Skies from Foxtrot; the ending to the Seconds Out album (when it comes back to Squonk)

Magma - K.A. part III

The Muffins - The Adventures of Captain Boomerang

The Who - Baba O'Reilly, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again - basically everything from Who's Next...

Big Star - Daisy Glaze

Beach Boys - Surf's Up

Love - A House is Not a Motel and You Set the Scene from Forever Changes

Supergrass - Run (from Life on Other Planets) and Roxy (from Road to Rouen)

Ah, Love. ONe of my favorite bands. Saw them at the Valley Music Theater in 1967 with Susi Knight.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
One of my favorites (I think I've posted this one before) - to my mind, the quintessential "slow build". In this case, a 16 bar section repeating from about 3:40 to the bottom of the fade at 6:30. The curve is always inching up - in never folds back and regroups.... Classic Gadd for sure. But equal honors IMO to Will Lee on bass...

drumstuff66

Reaction score
Some great ones already mentioned, but I'll just add the piano solo/extended jam on the fade out of Rosanna by Toto...

Fat_asian

Reaction score
At the end of the California love song by Dre and Tupac, the beat goes hard on the end of the music video.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
A great outro is one that leaves me wanting more. Zappa was a master of this.

And this one has that famous fill throughout it, but especially at the end. You have to keep turning the volume up to hear it but what an amazing drum fill.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"Sway" by the Stones. Mick f---in' Taylor! Does anyobdy know if the full "Unfaded" take of his solo is out there?