Great Outros

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of that. As in two takes layered over one another?
Yep. Go listen to the song - there are drums overdubbed with drums on the whole song. The outro has some single drum track stuff, though. The first outro fill has Stewart doing snare flams, and you hear a tom fill at the same time. The 2nd fill is a snare, toms and bass drum fill that is double-tracked, but the overdub is a little different. The third outro fill (the best one) is a Charlie Watts-like simple tom thingy. And the last fill is not double-tracked, but incredible.
Listen to the drums on the verse at the beginning of the song...the main part is a smokin' snare-bass-hi-hat pattern....but he's also overdubbing some fast singles on the snare. And listen to the first fill - clearly 2 drum tracks there. And then on the 2nd verse, you hear snare and hi-hat, and snare and ride cymbal, simultaneously.
Copeland played fast and loose with this overdubs. He'd do an extra cymbal here, and extra snare and bass there, and an overdubbed tom fill somewhere else. He was never over the top about it. In fact, it wasn't until I tried to learn Message In A Bottle, note-for-note, that I realized the ringing cymbal bell was overdubbed. At least I think it is.

Last edited:

sillyilly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This whole tune is amazing, but I really love it around 9 minutes in. You can hear someone (Tony?) go “Whoo!” a few times over the ending vamp.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
There a couple of drum outtro's I had an annoying habit of playing back in the 80's.
One was that off-speed snare-bass-crash thing from Rock Around The Clock and the other was some little half-a-beat thing I learned from a Rolling Stones song.
As for just general, mind blowing "get outs", I point to two Santana songs (well, one's a remake)....

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
...on a gentler note, I was just reminded of these great outros, too.....

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There a couple of drum outtro's I had an annoying habit of playing back in the 80's.
One was that off-speed snare-bass-crash thing from Rock Around The Clock
Love that one too, Elvis. Those cracking rimshots!

Russian Dragon

Reaction score
Not necessarily drum-related, although Chad Cromwell plays it just right. I never want this Knopfler outro solo to end.

Reaction score

Hiram Bullock on guitar
Funny that you mention Hiram, because there is a fade-outro on the Steps Ahead tune "Trains."

that Hiram plays a screaming Hendrix-y solo on the fade out, which is the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. He just takes it to the moon.

The little coda-outro that Vinnie puts at the end of this track just kills me! (Actually this whole record kills me.)

MSG

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Funny that you mention Hiram, because there is a fade-outro on the Steps Ahead tune "Trains."

that Hiram plays a screaming Hendrix-y solo on the fade out, which is the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. He just takes it to the moon.

The little coda-outro that Vinnie puts at the end of this track just kills me! (Actually this whole record kills me.)

MSG
Yeah, Hiram was a force of nature, R I P
Wow, Vinnie sounds so good.

Latest posts