Great recorded drum sounds

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Matt the bass player here again.

I found this page with a list of some really great recorded drum sounds.

Some really great tracks I had not heard before, especially David Axelrod stuff and Marva Whitney.

What are some of ya’lls favorites and must listens??

Yeah there's some killer drums on the old David Axelrod's stuff... I went through a binge phase a while ago...

Reactions: MVE

MVE

Reaction score
One of my favorites that isn’t on the list is Incredible Bongo Band’s Apache.
Jim Gordon is one of my favorite drummers and I can’t think of any recording that has a better bass drum sound than this:

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of my favorites that isn’t on the list is Incredible Bongo Band’s Apache.
Jim Gordon is one of my favorite drummers and I can’t think of any recording that has a better bass drum sound than this:

There's a whole doc about this track, the breakbeat from it is one of the most sampled piece of music ever made and it litteraly gave birth to Hip hop.

Reactions: MVE

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's so subjective, and depends on style/genre so much. You could say best jazz drum sounds, but even then you'd have different eras, sub-styles, personal styles...
Even listing the best sounding examples of one particular drummer might result in a list of ten records.

MVE

Reaction score
That's so subjective, and depends on style/genre so much. You could say best jazz drum sounds, but even then you'd have different eras, sub-styles, personal styles...
Even listing the best sounding examples of one particular drummer might result in a list of ten records.
Really just talking about the recorded sound: well tuned kit, mics, mic placement, eq/comp, etc... not necessarily the performance.
Tracks where the drums leap out of a nice set of speakers. :)

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For a straight ahead jazz the drum sound, Kenny Garret's Triology with Brian Blade is one of the most natural unaffected drum/cymbal sounds I've heard. Not sure who engineered it but he/she knows how to capture small drums.

Last edited:

MVE

Reaction score
For a straight ahead jazz the drum sound on Kenny Garret's Triology with Brian Blade is one of the most natural unaffected drum/cymbal sounds I've heard. Not sure who engineered it but he/she know how to capture small drums.

That’s spectacular.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As usual people confuse favourite with best.
For example, I absolutely love The Stones Roses record, but as a greatest drum sound of all time? No.
The article should be - most interesting drum sounds, or most iconic drum sounds. Great drum sounds are often quite boring.
I would list as superbly well recorded drums like 'Breakfast In America' - Supertramp, 'Slave To The Rhythm' - Grace Jones, 'Wish You Were Here' - Pink Floyd, 'Beauty Stab'- ABC (Andy Newmark) or Avalon - Roxy Music (Newmark again). Something by Toto (Jeff Porcaro) and Ry Cooder (Jim Keltner), 80's ECM albums like Pat Metheny with Paul Wertico and Jan Gabarek or Eberhard weber albums featuring Jan Christensen. These are all superbly well crafted drum sounds as a collaboration between drummer and producer. But they may be more standard and boring than the list in this article. A lot of the drum tracks in the article seem to be heavy on character - which doesn't automatically mean 'good'. 'In The Air Tonight' for example has not aged well.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Brian Blade on Beth Orton's "Magpie"

Brian Blade / Willie Green on Daniel Lanois "Where Will I Be":

Matt Chamberlain on Fiona Apple "Limp"

Matt Chamberlain on The Long Winters "The Commander Thinks Aloud"
(this is actually 5 mono drum tracks that are panned L-R)

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For raw, huge rock drum sounds, two Soundgarden albums: Superunkown and Down On The Upside. That set the bar pretty high for me.

For technically perfect, clean, hi-fi, 70''s and some 80's drums, most Steely Dan albums.

MVE

Reaction score
One album I always thought had great drum sounds is the Bar Kays’ Soulfinger. (Oddly, the title song has mediocre drums but most of the rest of the album is awesome.)
Looked up Drummer Carl Cunningham and found out he died in the Otis Redding plane crash when he was only 18. He was truly spectacular for an 18 year old.
Here is one of the other great sounding tracks on the album:

snappy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Soul Asylum "Let Your Dim Light Shine"
P..S.
The lyrics on the entire record are on a completely different level (take the 2nd track posted for instance)

Last edited: