Great recorded drum sounds

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
Morello w Brubeck..Time Out... i love the drum sound.

Phil Collins w Brand X on unorthodox Behavior is one of my all time favorite recorded drum sounds, along w Peart w RUSH

Permenant Waves/Moving Pictures

Lenny White w RTF Romantic Warrior...is a M A G I C drum sound, along w Astral Pirates!

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
Matt the bass player here again.

I found this page with a list of some really great recorded drum sounds.

Some really great tracks I had not heard before, especially David Axelrod stuff and Marva Whitney.

What are some of ya’lls favorites and must listens??

I was just checking out that same list yesterday. Great stuff on the list--helped me 'discover' the Stone Roses. Nice!

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Natural tone:
Quadrophenia by The Who
Killer Queen by Queen
Starship Trooper by Yes
Squonk by Genesis
Processed tone:
Hold On by Yes
Man Of Our Times by Genesis
Electronic (I know it's blasphemy but still):
Satori in Tangier by King Crimson
Keep Passing the Open Windows by Queen

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So many great examples on this thread and so many that could be named. I always thought that Neil Peart got a tremendous drum sound on the Power Windows record. Huge tone with a strong attack.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's a fascinating topic, the "beautiful" vs. "interesting" aspect. Still these days, I might be erring on the "beautiful" side too much, with the result of some sounds being less interesting. I am really just starting to find an approach to creating "odd" sounds that might convey more, emotionally.

The following are all on the somewhat "beautiful" side for me:

Joe Morello 1961 solo record: the tracks are from two different sessions, one of them sounds really great.

1970s jazz can be critical soundwise, but most ECM records sound great to me, notably:
Gateway w/Jack DeJohnette
Pat Metheny 80/81 w/Jack D
Pat Metheny w/ Bob Moses: Bright Size Life
Ralph Towner w/Jn Christensen: Solstice

Tony Williams: Story of Neptune, Tokyo Live
Dave Holland w/Marvin Smitty Smith: Seeds of Time

1980s Pop/Rock:
John Mellencamp, various
Toto IV and VII

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like to think best recorded means best recorded for the song. Mick Fleetwood's drums on Rumours are perfect.

But then, for a pure drum sound, this is the best to me, and it's live. It captures everything, the dynamics are immaculate, listen to the sympathetic snare buzzes and then the stick hitting that 15" crash...beautiful engineering.

Masecar

Reaction score
As much as I love Neil Peart, I find most of his recorded drum sounds to be pretty lackluster. I love the sounds on Moving Pictures and Counterparts but most of the rest of the catalog sounds good in spite of the drum tones. Actually, for all of its flaws, I still really love the drum sounds on the original mixes of Vapor Trails. The remixes sound like drums in a vacuum, but the originals sound like a human being tolling away in a wooden room.

Brendan O'Brien has a lot of really fantastic drum mixes. Superunknown is super overdriven and fat and vibey, King's X's Dogman is huge and punchy, and Incubus's A Crow Left of the Murder sort of rides the middle. And of course, Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

Honorable mentions to Incubus's Morning View too. That was the first album I can remember listening to on which I could really hear the room.

Porcupine Tree's In Absentia is a perfect mix in all aspects in my book. Deadwing is a very close secon

I'm always impressed at the huge Gretsch tom sounds on Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior.

I've always loved the drum sounds on Dream Theater's Falling Into Infinity and Six Degrees. Punchiest kicks I can think of off the top of my head. Kevin Shirley also has fantastic drum mixes - his work on the whole Joe Bonamassa catalog sounds fantastic.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Weezer’s first two albums...had they only ended there.

Matt Chamberlain on just about anything, but the Fiona records really hit me.

Danny Carey on Aenima and Lateralus. Paiste really stand out.

Ken Coomer on Wilco’s Being There.

Tatsuhisa Yamamoto on Jim O’Rourke Simple Songs.

Tony on Filles de Kilimanjaro and Nefertiti.

Anything Jon Brion touches.

I could actually go on and on and on...

drumnhands

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of my favorites is Lenny White's drums on Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior. The drums sound amazing, thunderous. And Simon Phillips always gets amazing drum sounds, as does Dave Weckl.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, anything Rush, The Police or Black Sabbath! (Peart, Copeland & Ward)
Those 3 are my favorite recorded drum sounds!

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What are some of ya’lls favorites and must listens??
I am convinced you won't find a better rock drum sound than this. That snare absolutely cuts through the Marshall stacks with body and strength. I love where the cymbals sit in the mix, too:

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I forgot about this one, loved the immediateness of the snare, and huge crashes, you could feel that swung 16th groove coming through the wall of guitars, all a signature sound. John Stanier, underrated drummer. This tune has some cool drum breaks.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I forgot about this one, loved the immediateness of the snare, and huge crashes, you could feel that swung 16th groove coming through the wall of guitars, all a signature sound. John Stanier, underrated drummer. This tune has some cool drum breaks.

I also love the sound they got on the follow up Helmet album “Betty”. Such a crazy cracking snare!

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also love the sound they got on the follow up Helmet album “Betty”. Such a crazy cracking snare!
Absolutely thunderous.

Stanier is in a band caled Battles that's interesting, it's good to see a god drummer carrying the torch with some cool original music, they've been at it a while.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
One tom hit mesmerized me when I was a young pup. It was on the album "Welcome to My Nightmare" by Alice Cooper on the song "Some Folks". I just loved that sound and tried everything I could to try to make my small tom have that "doooooommm" sound in my bedroom...to no avail.

It's at the 3:03 mark, Really nothing that special in retrospect but at that time something I couldn't achieve, probably still can't but now it's the soundman's problem.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a few I can think of immediately..

Steely Dan - Aja
King Crimson - Discipline
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Alan Parsons Project- I robot/Turn of a friendly card
Phil Collins - Face Value
Tony Williams - Lifetime
Tool - Lateralus/Aenima