Great Ride Cymbal

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm always in the market for a new ride cymbal..............to be used for classic rock covers.
I don't ever use a wash sound; I do love a nice clean ride sound and a bell that is not difficult (too small).
What, IYO, is the best ride out there right now ?

I confess: I currently play a 1973 Zildjian "A" heavy 22............and I have never found any other ride better than this cymbal..............but I keep looking.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Vintage Zildjians are magic. I love my early 80's 22" Ping Ride, but have played 60's Zildjians that, while not suited for hard rock, have that mojo.
My feeling is not to look too hard to exceed what you have, but we on DFO don't want to run out of things to collect!

Dan

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had an early 80s 22" Ping Ride as well and it was a cool cymbal. It's a tough one to beat.

Currently, I have a 22" 2002 Ride and while it's probably not as good as the best of the A. Zildjian Rides out there, it's much better than most. It's like they got everything right about the A. Ping Ride. It's the perfect balance of ping and wash and fairly crashable for its weight. If you're playing classic rock covers, it's tough to beat, but again, you have a 70s Ping Ride, which is what many of the Z artists like Neil Peart and Joey Kramer were playing back in the day as well.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"I have the best cymbal available to play classic rock, can you recommend a ride to play classic rock?" :blink:

LOL....I feel your pain.

I'm thinking you could pick up a nice Paiste 2002, either 20" or 22" should work, to complement that A Ping Ride.

Those two cymbals pretty much dominated the 70s rock scene as far as I can tell.

Having the Paiste would give you a nice change of pace when you were hankering for something different.

Great thing is that the 2002s are reasonably priced. Not like going after a K Kerope or a Paiste 602.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know this is a little OT - but I will throw it out there anyway.

I sometimes run into good rides that just have a small edge crack. I snag those puppies up and repair it (with a cut-out). I can't imagine it making that much difference in sound, as they sound great even after a cut-out.

This approach will allow you to have more options.

Meanwhile - in a related story. I can certainly relate - how elusive a good vintage Zildjian ride can be. I remember hearing them when I was in high school in the 80s. I believe what I saw/heard were late 70s As at about the 2200-2500gram range (20in) and they seemed to be perfect.
While they are certainly out there (Zildjian made a ton of them) sometimes it can be difficult to find one that sounds just like you remember hearing/loving them back in the day.
I have flipped many Zildjian A rides.....and one in particular stands out as the one I regret selling. It was 20in, 70s, and weighed in at around 2450. I am glad that they are plentiful.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
I'm always in the market for a new ride cymbal..............to be used for classic rock covers.
I don't ever use a wash sound; I do love a nice clean ride sound and a bell that is not difficult (too small).

I confess: I currently play a 1973 Zildjian "A" heavy 22............and I have never found any other ride better than this cymbal..............but I keep looking.
I'm confused, wouldn't a '73 A heavy 22" be washy as all get out once you get it going? Maybe "washy" isn't the right term, but those babies are loud. I played a late '60's 20" for decades and currently have an early '70's 18'. IMO, these cymbals have a bunch of loud overtones.

Since you've been looking, you're probably aware of the plane jane Sabian Hand Hammered Raw Bell Dry Ride, but I'll recommend it anyway. It's not as popular as it was a few years ago, but I have one I can't part with. I really like it. It's got a clean ride sound and good bell, but actually isn't as "dry" as the name implies. It's a good classic rock cymbal, a bit of a ping, but not quite a ping ride.

My fallback now though is an Agop Traditional Medium. It's funny to me that for all the Agop fans out there, none seems to prefer the Traditional Medium. They all prefer one more specialized. Well, I agree, but what I like about the Traditional Medium is that it's not specialized. It just sits in the middle. It reminds me of my old A but better. My old A had annoying attributes. The Agop Traditional Medium gets the job done without the annoying attributes. It's not my favorite cymbal (or apparently anyone else's favorite cymbal) but I can put it on the stand and play most anything without complaining, which may be about as good as it gets for a ride.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe just add something medium weighted instead of heavy? 20 or 22 A Medium Rides were probably the most commonly used all-around rides for decades. I assume the heavy is giving you a pretty ping-dominant sound. Having another ride with more of a controlled wash and moderate ping would be a good alternative choice for that style.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Old As can be good. When I need a ping, I like the K Heavy. They still have some warmth, and some can be better than an old A of similar weight IMO. They’re not quite as bright...but bright enough. I like the 21” version (no longer made in that size).

Paistes can be good too.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Your not going to like it but.....i think your second paragraph is the answer....

You already own the ride you seek

No fun right?

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd normally recommend a 22, or 24 2002, but they will get washy on ya.
I had a 20 K Dry, and that had great stick definition, great bell, and won't wash out on ya.
Another ride that you might want to hear is the 22 inch Paiste Blue Bell Sig.
Finally, if you can find one, is the 22 inch Paiste 3000. The heavy one with the large bell.
In that order

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ll add one in the mix, even though it’s a cymbal that came out in the 90s. The K Custom 22 ride if you find a good one. Has a slight amount of wash, but it’s a controlled warm ping sound with a great bell. It can cut through anything, and still has some slight complexity with character. Very underrated, if you find a good example.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I currently play a 1973 Zildjian "A" heavy 22.
Get that cymbal in a K.
If you want a color change.
It will have the similar attributes of the A without going too far afield (or in the weeds) but will have a whole nother world - of portals and passages- to it.
Any other brand will have you off into.... another brand.
you have your choice of standard Ks, K Hybrids, K Constantinoples, K Customs and Keropes.
All will still be familiar familial.

Last edited:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got a 20" K Ride (the model that is just called K Ride) that I've mentioned before. It's very "middle of the road" in a good way. It's a lot less washy than my 60's A, not overbearingly pingy either. The bell is smallish but has a nice attack and the main pitch is very musical when i play more delicate music, but I've done tons of rock with it.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
'Till I come across that magical be-all ride cymbal that I've been seeking since 1965, I've found that my Sabian HH Medium Ride cymbal w/rivets simply does it all and does it well. Yes, I have to work a tiny bit harder to get a loud, solid bell sound, but that slight drawback is more than made up for by the delicious ride/ping sound, and the over/undertones that stop gaining in volume just in time to avoid overwhelming the ping.

Nonetheless, I've run across a few cymbals that really drew my attention as a ride replacement:

- Sabian AA/AAX/HH/HHX 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride. As noted, it ain't dry, and I don't know why they gave it that designation. Instead, it simply fills in the bell sound needed in my Medium Ride. Perfect.

- Zildjian K (any size) Sweet Ride. The A version is lovely, too, but the K version puts the sweet in Sweet!

- Zildjian A22R 22" "Avedis Ride." I don't know why I love this cymbal. The bell is nice, but lacks volume; it comes in that cursed "aged" look which consists only of a slightly darker (browner?) "patina." Maybe that could be polished off, I don't know.

But, what the A22R does, it does exceedingly well. And that quality is one of the sweetest, broad, frequency-leveled "wash" that I've ever heard. (Think of Ringo's cymbal wash on the song "Tomorrow Never Knows.) The ping is not strong, but it is audible. What makes the stick ping sound so nice is that it encompasses a wider range of high frequencies than the typical ping sound on most ping-prominent cymbals.

This cymbal would not be appropriate for a single-ride cymbal compliment. I don't think it was even designed for that. But, as a featured cymbal in a song that relies heavily on wash (again, one of the best I've ever heard), this one's a winner. (I probably shouldn't have even included it in this remark, as it is wholly inappropriate for VintageUSA's needs.)

GeeDeeEmm

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think there's a better all around ride than the Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride. I have an A, but the K's are fantastic too.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love A's and a heavy 60's 22" A (3400 gm) has been my go to ride for 35 yrs....great ping and bell....comes with some wash though. And I can agree that 20 A's in the 2000-2400 range can be magical too, especially some of the 50's versions. The newer A sweet rides are great too.

A small stamp 2133 gm is currently my favorite all-purpose 20" A. But my 20" EAK ride (2575) probably out performs all of these as just a ride. It's much warmer, complex, yet bright and lively. Very controlled wash with a stick that you can't smother. Fits jazz and rock well. I play this one on my 70's Rogers kit that is tuned up higher for that 60's warm sound.

Last edited:

Latest posts