Great Snare with a Fatal Flaw

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like NobleCooleyNut, I also have a BB with a P-86 that has performed flawlessly since 2013. In fact, I had never heard of this problem with the nuts coming loose so I just retrieved my BB from its case and checked the P-86: all four screws are still factory tight; I couldn't budge them with an allen wrench.

Congrats on your new snare! Unlike you, I love Ludwig's current WMP wrap. I'd been waiting since the 1950s for them to stop using that "Sky White Pearl" that they used to call WMP. (Only took 'em a half-century.) ;)
Given time, I find that once I’ve bonded with a piece of gear, I learn to love the way it looks. Exhibit A: the big, ugly “modern” Zildjian K stamp. Exhibit B would be moving forward a year from now and me looking to buy a Ludwig white marine pearl kit to match this snare....

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I agree. Once something grows on me, I have a hard time getting rid of it.
...sometimes, you come to love the faults.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I understand wanting to keep it Ludwig on that drum, but I can’t lie. INDe makes a nice strainer and if another drum has a challenge with hole spacing, you can always swap it out in 5 minutes with a cordless screwdriver.

By the way, it’s worth mentioning to anyone reading, that a cordless screwdriver with a drum key attachment on the business end is possibly the best investment I’ve made in all my buying of drum gear ever.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Yeah, those are a must-have if you gig.
First person I ever saw actually use one was Al Adinolfi.
He was showing me one of his Bridge Deck snares and he changed out the top head in less than a minute.