Greater Appreciation for Don Henley...

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a gig coming up in a few weeks with an Eagles trib band. This band has great vocals as it should be. I’ve never really paid much attention to the drumming of Eagles songs (Henley solo stuff as well) but man, what a tight and musical drummer he is.

Since this is an important show for the band (at a local theater) and the drummer is on vacation, they chose me because I gave a pretty good rep for being prepared. Well, first rehearsal was awesome. And I used my Yamaha DTX M12 to trigger the Boys of Summer loop which they loved. Also used it on Tequila Sunrise with Congas and shaker.

One more rehearsal to tighten up arrangements. They remarked how solid it felt and sounded. My goal has been reached...

Henley? Man, a great drummer and singer!

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes! I actually seeked out a 602 Medium Ride a few years ago so I could "take it to the limit"!

Just listen to those tracks. I know that DH has been self-deprecating over the years, but Don has incredible time, control, and taste and made those tracks what they were.

Dan

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I respect The Eagles musically and like many of the songs generally, but I'm not a huge fan. That said, "Take it to the Limit" might be the greatest rock ballad ever recorded. Everything about that song is breathtakingly beautiful and Randy Meisner's voice is beyond incredible.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey Dan, I'm intrigued by your use of the Yamaha DTX Multi 12. Did you find the "Boys of Summer" backing loop online or did you program it yourself?

jakeo

Reaction score
What could someone else have played that fit better than what he played?
Have fun Dan! Also, what snare are you using what's your tuning strategy?

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think that two of the best things playing covers has done for me is making me play outside my comfort zone and getting a greater appreciation for the original drummers when you really have to listen to the parts.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He's definitely one of my drum favorites. I truly believe Dawes owes him royalties for being the first act to steal his groove.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
He’s of the Ringo school of drumming , simple but not easy. Appreciated more when you cover his style.
I find it’s easy to rush a lot of those tempos , I have a tendency to play 8th note patterns on the hats when he’s playing quarters. Watching his videos helped me a lot to understand his style. He really nails down the pocket. Great all around musician.
Sounds like a fun gig !

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes! I actually seeked out a 602 Medium Ride a few years ago so I could "take it to the limit"!

Just listen to those tracks. I know that DH has been self-deprecating over the years, but Don has incredible time, control, and taste and made those tracks what they were.

Dan
I am a HUGE fan of Henley as a drummer--his stuff often sounds simple, until you try to play it! So many guys I see overplay on Eagles stuff but I always try to play what Don did because it fit the music perfectly!
Plus any excuse to busy out the Concert Toms is okay by me!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Dan, I'm intrigued by your use of the Yamaha DTX Multi 12. Did you find the "Boys of Summer" backing loop online or did you program it yourself?
Programmed it myself on the quick. Where can I find that loop?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What could someone else have played that fit better than what he played?
Have fun Dan! Also, what snare are you using what's your tuning strategy?
I used my Phantom55 with a Big Fat Snare donut tunes down. It worked!

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
As a drummer who sings lead in my own band, Henley was always a huge influence on me. “Those Shoes” might be my absolute favorite track, and it’s just incredibly difficult to nail the way he does it.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As a drummer who sings lead in my own band, Henley was always a huge influence on me. “Those Shoes” might be my absolute favorite track, and it’s just incredibly difficult to nail the way he does it.
Yes! Those Shoes is sick, and I challenge ANYONE here to try and nail Disco Strangler without some serious practice!!

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great thread! I didn't appreciate Don Henley's drumming in my teenage/formative years (although, I always loved his playing in Take It To The Limit) but I've grown to truly appreciate him. Incredible feel. Other deceptively tricky songs to cop "feel-wise" are Lyin' Eyes and Peaceful Easy Feeling. My band plays those songs, and I'll be the first to admit I don't have the goods when it comes to his feel. Life In The Fast Lane is another one. He grooves hard on that song and makes it look so easy.

A few years ago I was asked to write a piece for Not So Modern Drummer about Shelly Manne's comment, "The ride beat is the easiest and most difficult thing a drummer will ever play" and referenced Henley's playing in Take It To The Limit as an example of an extremely easy beat that's extremely difficult. https://www.notsomoderndrummer.com/...016/8/1/reflections-on-shelly-manne-chapter-9

Great to see so many others who appreciate him.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I actually had a thread here a few months ago asking us here to discuss Don strictly as a drummer (not a singer/writer/etc) and it was a pretty cool discussion. With Don it's often about what he DOES NOT play and the space he puts between things--he is essentially the polar opposite of, say, a Billy Cobham (yes--love him too!) yet often just as hard to nail down.
My old band used to do Life in the Fast Lane and I agree--it's tough to get it to groove just right. My current band does Hotel California and it's another one that has lots of spaces between the notes--it's tempting to do more on his stuff but it was composed to showcase the vocals and guitars more than anything else