header.nohb.html

gretsch 20/12/14 for hard rock??

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of their albums. Bluesy, yes. Blues, no. Blues like as I said.
I’m just going by what the OP said , early 70s blues , That’s Zep in a nutshell ….
You are thinking early blues is all .

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is kind of confusing to mention hard rock and then mention early 70s blues , in the OP

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I’m just going by what the OP said , early 70s blues , That’s Zep in a nutshell ….
You are thinking early blues is all .
I was thinking along the lines of Rod Piazza and contemporaries. American artists who were closer to the blues (not exactly authentic, but closer).

Malc

Reaction score
I know I'm supposed to say it's all about the sound, but for me it's also a visual thing.
The rock covers band I'm in appreciate that there's a large, shiny black kit sat behind them and the grief I'd get if I turned up with a bop kit doesn't warrant the load in load out savings

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did you actually read the op.....
Yeah. Early 70’s blues/hard rock to me would be bands like Taste and Humble Pie or Albert King later Bo Diddley stuff all a lot harder edged than the Doors. Personally I’d like at least a 16” floor to add some firepower to the 20” when necessary for that sort of thing but reasonable minds may differ

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah. Early 70’s blues/hard rock to me would be bands like Taste and Humble Pie or Albert King later Bo Diddley stuff all a lot harder edged than the Doors. Personally I’d like at least a 16” floor to add some firepower to the 20” when necessary for that sort of thing but reasonable minds may differ
I had forgotten that Albert King and Bo Diddley were still being covered back then. Thanks for the reminder!

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Somehow I just don't associate Bonham with blues. Yeah, LZ played some blues-like stuff. The only Brit band, in my opinion, that came close to blues was the Stones. Not real blues, mind you, but they at least tried. But I digress ...
Another band you are pehaps not familiar with, Fleetwood Mac?

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had forgotten that Albert King and Bo Diddley were still being covered back then. Thanks for the reminder!
Bo was still putting out decent albums then. Check out the album Big Bad Bo if you get a chance. More of a harder funk edge than his early stuff but its a good record

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Another band you are pehaps not familiar with, Fleetwood Mac?
Believe it or not I am familiar with the Peter Green edition of them. Bluesy, but not really blues to me. I grew up in the Metro Washington D.C. area in the 50s and 60s, so blues means something different to we folks who were immersed in African American blues.

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh wow, its the express lane for looking like, sounding like and being like, everyone else. Joe Strummer said musical genres die when they paint themselves into a corner.
The Clash recorded reggae songs with deep bass and spill echo on the drums 0- completely in keeping with the reggae music of the time.
1 in 1 million drummers is an innovator, an icon. A Buddy Rich, a Neil Peart, a Terry Bozzio. Not every single drummer has to break the rules to find their own identity.

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keith Moon most often played without hihats. Did he not play in the right style? How many drummers play without a hihat? Did he need those idiomatic hihats? (answer is hell no!)
How many drummers on this forum, how many drummers in America today are going to be the next Keith Moon?
The trouble with most drummers is they worry a huge amount about being unique and hardly at all about good time keeping, playing for the song, balancing their kit piece volumes etc.

44Ronin

Reaction score
The Clash recorded reggae songs with deep bass and spill echo on the drums 0- completely in keeping with the reggae music of the time.
1 in 1 million drummers is an innovator, an icon. A Buddy Rich, a Neil Peart, a Terry Bozzio. Not every single drummer has to break the rules to find their own identity.

"spill echo on the drums"

An interesting comment, from someone who doesn't comprehend what dub is (let alone reggae...)

No spill echo on drums:

Note, that they don't sound like a reggae band, not in a million years. They're reggae influenced.

Now here is what I think you're talking about, which is Dub, not Reggae

It's interesting you think all late seventies/early eighties reggae having a dub sound because it clearly did not. You can't tell the difference, don't know the difference and you have it backwards. Although.....I can't say that i'm surprised
The trouble with most drummers is they worry a huge amount about being unique and hardly at all about good time keeping, playing for the song, balancing their kit piece volumes etc.

Nope, you're the one suggesting drummers worry about how many drums they have.

There's plenty of unique and interesting drummers past and present. They don't need to fit your idea of one in a million. What does this have to do with drumset size anyway (nothing)

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What about me ???
Sorry, no slight intended - so yes, Houndog! In general, if I was starting from a clean slate specifically for a hard-rock, I'd recommend 13/16/22 right out of the gate for most folks.

Admittedly, I somewhat stubbornly keep those the larger sizes around in some kind of hope I'll eventually have use for them . However, with age I realize the 12/15/20 cover a lot of ground for me for my uses, particularly if add the 10" and 18" at each end. Someday my 13/16/22 will likely be sold.

Because I am a creature of habit and comfort with no one to answer to but myself in these matters, I do personally value perceived feel/playability over any particular size recommendations. So, I've solidly landed on 12/15/20 for overall feel, particularly the bass drum, and the lower positioning it allows for a mounted tom. You do obviously give up some low end.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think 12/15/20 is a superb setup …
So do I. I traded @goodcat1337 a 61 Slingerland in that configuration for a Sonor AQ2 kit. 15" toms are a perfect size when paired with a 12" rack tom. I think the perfect pairing with a 10" rack is a 13" floor tom. I have no idea why drum companies don't do that.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So do I. I traded @goodcat1337 a 61 Slingerland in that configuration for a Sonor AQ2 kit. 15" toms are a perfect size when paired with a 12" rack tom. I think the perfect pairing with a 10" rack is a 13" floor tom. I have no idea why drum companies don't do that.
I considered buying that kit very seriously .
I have a kit with 12/15 . It works great .

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I considered buying that kit very seriously .
I have a kit with 12/15 . It works great .
It was a great kit. I found myself not gigging it and wasn't even using it in my rehearsal space, so I traded it for a more modern AQ2. That was a great kit (and I would not hesitate to recommend that series), but it, too, did not get used, so I sold it. Still have a few kits I need to sell, but that is not currently a priority. Too much gear and too little time remaining on this planet. My kids can worry about what to do with all the crap I've accumulated :)