Gretsch 302 vs. die cast hoops on USA Custom

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think RickP ordered a USA kit with 302s from Steve Maxwell a while back.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
think it's kinda of an unnecessary expense- if you already a USA custom (let me state I do)
If however you have a new era Broadkaster set/kit/single drum ---it could make - again expensive sense----to hear what a Die cast sound like on the 3 ply shell.
Because correct me if I'm wrong, some early 56-7-8?ish 3 ply Gretsch did have Die cast.
But reversing it - 302s on 6 ply USA Custom Gretsch - (imo no, nah, waste of timer, has no precedent - unless you include a sales line called USA Maple- the first few months of which- were sold with triple flange hoops for expediency - then customer questioning led Gretsch to quickly fit later USA Maple (6 ply btw) with Die cast for the short remainder of "USA Maple" series life.
(having put a triple flange on a 6 ply Gretsch to experience it) sum up my thoughts

3 ply Broadkaster with Die cast? Interesting probably
6 ply USA Custom with 302? Not interesting possibly lose a little something (lose more than gain)
IMO ymmv

Last edited:

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
think it's kinda of an unnecessary expense- if you already a USA custom (let me state I do)
If however you have a new era Broadkaster set/kit/single drum ---it could make - again expensive sense----to hear what a Die cast sound like on the 3 ply shell.
Because correct me if I'm wrong, some early 56-7-8?ish 3 ply Gretsch did have Die cast.
But reversing it - 302s on 6 ply USA Custom Gretsch - (imo no, nah, waste of timer, has no precedent - unless you include a sales line called USA Maple- the first few months of which- were sold with triple flange hoops for expediency - then customer questioning led Gretsch to quickly fit later USA Maple (6 ply btw) with Die cast for the short remainder of "USA Maple" series life.
(having put a triple flange on a 6 ply Gretsch to experience it) sum up my thoughts

3 ply Broadkaster with Die cast? Interesting probably
6 ply with 302? Not interesting possibly lose a little something
IMO ymmv
thx, this is the kind of info/experience I was asking for :)

Reactions: JDA

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used to think the die-cast hoops took away from the sound of a USA Custom shell....in that it killed some of the resonance or vibration. I thought that because I read it over and over on this forum. Well, I did an experiment a couple of years ago - I took triple-flanged COB hoops, and put them on my Gretsch USA toms, and recorded a few hits, then tried them again with the stock die-cast zinc hoops. I was surprised that I really didn't hear any difference. Tuned to the same note, they sustained almost the same, with the COB hoops actually sustaining LESS than the die-cast. That ended my "fear of die-cast".

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
I used to think the die-cast hoops took away from the sound of a USA Custom shell....in that it killed some of the resonance or vibration. I thought that because I read it over and over on this forum. Well, I did an experiment a couple of years ago - I took triple-flanged COB hoops, and put them on my Gretsch USA toms, and recorded a few hits, then tried them again with the stock die-cast zinc hoops. I was surprised that I really didn't hear any difference. Tuned to the same note, they sustained almost the same, with the COB hoops actually sustaining LESS than the die-cast. That ended my "fear of die-cast".
I can definitely subscribe to the "fear of die-cast"... I guess that's why I wrote this post :) I will ask a friend if I can borrow his 302 hoops a day or two and do a comparison.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can definitely subscribe to the "fear of die-cast"... I guess that's why I wrote this post :) I will ask a friend if I can borrow his 302 hoops a day or two and do a comparison.
I'll be interested in your findings. I like the 302 hoops; although I've never owned them. They look to be fairly rigid, though, so I can bet there's not much difference, sonically.

Freewill3

Reaction score
I ordered my USA Customs with the 302 stick choppers then later replaced them with die cast. I knew I wanted Gretsch but after a 12 year hiatus away from a real drum set, my ears had no idea what to tune to. So I went with what was familiar - clear 2 ply heads on top, single ply clear on the reso and flanged hoops, I too was questioning the whole die cast thing. That was fun for a bit but when I got the rust off my hands and ears I realized these drums need to sing. Enter the die cast hoops, coated ambassadors top and bottom and my newly found appreciation for "bop" tuning. I would say that the difference isn't vast or night and day but I do appreciate the die cast now and don't think I'll go back. If anyone needs 10", 12" or 16" 302's PM me.

219Dave

Reaction score
I ordered my USA Customs with the 302 stick choppers then later replaced them with die cast. I knew I wanted Gretsch but after a 12 year hiatus away from a real drum set, my ears had no idea what to tune to. So I went with what was familiar - clear 2 ply heads on top, single ply clear on the reso and flanged hoops, I too was questioning the whole die cast thing. That was fun for a bit but when I got the rust off my hands and ears I realized these drums need to sing. Enter the die cast hoops, coated ambassadors top and bottom and my newly found appreciation for "bop" tuning. I would say that the difference isn't vast or night and day but I do appreciate the die cast now and don't think I'll go back. If anyone needs 10", 12" or 16" 302's PM me.
Did you put the 302's on the batter and reso side, or just batter?

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting. While I definitely appreciate you gravitating towards a higher tuning, I wouldn't call anything with die cast hoops as " singing". For me they dry the drum out and shorten the sustain, but maybe with your higher tuning there's a longer note. That's what I think of for that word " singing". The more sustain.

Anyway, back to the question. I ordered a new Broadcaster kit last year. Had some specific needs but nothing crazy. Anyway, the kit came with die cast on the 12 and 302's on the 14 ( I ordered a 22 bass, came with the newer claws and I asked for classics. Anyway... I ended up getting die cast on both toms. That's just what I think of with Gretsch and I was able to do that for no extra cost. The 14 sounded great either way. I really don't remember a difference, but that's tuned lower to medium on this kit anyway..

Freewill3

Reaction score
Did you put the 302's on the batter and reso side, or just batter?
302's on batter and reso. When I got the die casts I initially left the 302's on the reso side but decided, to my ears the die cast sounded better top and bottom.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mess with the formula. If I'm going to mess with the hoops, why not order them w/o the silver sealer interior or get them with 45 degree edges? In that case get a set of Ludwigs for a lot less.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I once put tf hoops on a 14" floor tom and ended up muffling the batter head on the gig. DC hoops do reduce overtones, but it a very pleasant way imo.