header.nohb.html

Gretsch 4 point Butt End Strainer

DBT

Reaction score
Question : I picked up a 1961 Pre Label 4157 Orphan Shell that I’m rebuilding . Do the original 4 point butt end strainers have failure problems like the original Micro Sensitive Throw off’s ? I’m going with the new throw off but I have a chance to pick up a new old stock 4 point strainer or should I not waste the money and install a 5381 single point butt assembly . Plugging holes and drilling a new hole is not a problem . Thoughts on both would be appreciated .

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 4 point butt end strainer is in fact, NOT a strainer but simply a threaded tensioning device. It really can’t fail unless you strip the threads somehow. Same goes for the single point.

As far as looks go, the single point is far better looking IMHO. If you’re totally refinishing the shell and are cool with plugging holes, I’d say go for it.

DBT

Reaction score
The 4 point butt end strainer is in fact, NOT a strainer but simply a threaded tensioning device. It really can’t fail unless you strip the threads somehow. Same goes for the single point.

As far as looks go, the single point is far better looking IMHO. If you’re totally refinishing the shell and are cool with plugging holes, I’d say go for it.
Done . Plugged the 4 holes , sanded everything inside and out , sprayed the inside and ordered the single point butt assembly . When it gets here I’ll figure out how high it goes off the snare bed and drill the hole . Thanks Red .

Attachments

• 13DDC552-E5A2-4B19-8C4D-3ABE12803E5B.jpeg
    13DDC552-E5A2-4B19-8C4D-3ABE12803E5B.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 13