Gretsch 4160 snare wires

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
What wires would have come on a Gretsch 4160 Round Badge, 42 strand?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes 42.. I have still the set that was on my...what happen was where the loops go thru...that spread apart...where the straps went thru ovaled area. PS. You can live (well) without them my op but if you want to invest in a new 42 strand set go right ahead : )

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
Never had a drum with 42’s, I like originality. Any special brand?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well of course I can just google it, but I come to this forum for the wisdom and experience of the drummers here!
Google is not going to say that the puresound wires are a bit dark or the Gibraltar are too bright!!
So, opinions please!

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve used both Gibraltar and Tama 42 strand wires on lots of drums (none gretsch). They both sound pretty similar. A couple of the Tama ones needed de burring to use cords without cutting, otherwise pretty identical. I don’t think puresound makes a 42

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
This drum is pretty bright, more than I’m used to. Already put a remo emperor x on there to tame it, that helped but I want more sensitivity, thinking original 42 wires might help.
I know this is a great drum, a work in progress for me.
Anyone out there with the same drum, how do you have it set up?

Ransan

Reaction score
I have 4160 with the SSB with “That Great Gretsch Sound” on the badge, I’m guessing snare was transitioning.
Has micro sensitive 4 point butt plate with lightning righty throw, shell has no extra holes.

I got the 42 strand by Gretsch wires they are more sensitive and prominent than regular stranded wires and really like them - I can’t compare them to other 42 strands, because originality as you alluded to.

I have the Aquarium modern vintage medium top and modern vintage snare side bottom and the snare cracks. These fit on pretty good as I had a hard time with Remos tightness.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 42 strands make for a sensitive initial sound thats fairly dry as the weight of the wires stops the vibration of the bottom head more quickly. A Renaissance reso head gave a warmer sound on a steel tama and an acrolite I’ve tried it on without losing any noticeable sensitivity. Might be worth a shot

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I use 42 strand wires on several snares. My favorite are the Canopus, but the Gretsch are a very very close second. On a Gretsch snare, I would use the Gretsch 42s. Plus, they're not as pricey as the Canopus. I don't care for the Gibraltar and Tama versions. In my experience, they stretch out too quickly.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I LOVE Gretsch snare wires, especially the 20 strands, but the Gretsch 42 stands are just awesome. They are not generic, crappy wires, like everything else out there (minus the Canopus). But, my all time favorite "go to" wires are Gretsch 20 strands.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Puresound 30's on my 4160 . I expected to be disappointed, that wire set didn't workout on other snares and was collecting dust , but I like them on the Gretsch just fine and am leaving them on .

No annoying buzz either .

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have Puresound 30's on my 4160 . I expected to be disappointed, that wire set didn't workout on other snares and was collecting dust , but I like them on the Gretsch just fine and am leaving them on .

No annoying buzz either .

Corded or ribbon?

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I went back to regular wires on my 4160 w/New Classic tube lugs. The 42strand I tried were standard genreic ones and then Tama soemthing or other that are supposed to be brighter. I might use them on deeper drums, but as mentioned, the 4160 is a bright drum already; I got a very workable, clean sound with standard 20 w/cord. If the drum is too bright for you, I would go with fewer wires instead of more.

Reactions: egw

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
The 42 strands make for a sensitive initial sound thats fairly dry as the weight of the wires stops the vibration of the bottom head more quickly. A Renaissance reso head gave a warmer sound on a steel tama and an acrolite I’ve tried it on without losing any noticeable sensitivity. Might be worth a shot
so I am intrigued by the Renaissance snare side head.
Do you think it would be overkill with the emperor x??
I have a set of Gretsch 42 strand wires in my cart and before I pull the trigger just want to know about the head.
Thanks again to y’all!

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
so I am intrigued by the Renaissance snare side head.
Do you think it would be overkill with the emperor x??
I have a set of Gretsch 42 strand wires in my cart and before I pull the trigger just want to know about the head.
Thanks again to y’all!
Can’t really comment as I only spent about ten minutes playing an emperor x coincidentally on that same tama. I thought the response was too dead with that head and I like heavy heads. The renaissance is a pretty subtle difference. It just seemed to warm things up a little, which suits the steel drum and I could see it being good on brass too