Gretsch 4160 snare wires

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried it once but noticed it doesn't tighten up well. The film stretches at the tension usually applied to snareside heads in drumset contexts. More suited for old-school gut snare sounds.
Can’t speak to how they work cranked, I tend to go for what I would consider medium high on the reso for metal snares.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I got my Gretsch 4158 (5.5"/maple/10L) snare brand-new in 1984 it came with the 42-strand unit, but I felt it restricted the bottom head to the point where it made the drum sound 'boxy' (a common complaint about Gretsch wood snare drums). I swapped out the 42-strand unit for a generic 20-strand unit and the drum magically opened up with lots more tone and 'personality'. I sold the Gretsch set in 1995 but I think I still have that 42-strand snare unit around here somewhere...

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some Tama 42's on my Dunnett bronze and they don't sound good. I have generic 42's on my Bonzo snare and they sound great. I have not put 42's on COB or wood 4160's, but my RB 4160 has 24 strand Fat Cat(?) black wires and sounds great. Nice pop and yet not too much snare-y sound.

I agree - might as well do the 42 Gretsch.....

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can’t speak to how they work cranked, I tend to go for what I would consider medium high on the reso for metal snares.
They just don't stay cranked ( I like a pitch of g for a 14" drum); you end up re-tightening until the hoop bottoms out. A Remo rep confirmed they aren't suited for the tension normally used.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have a 2003 model 4160, Came from the factory with 42's and Lightning Strainer. Keeping it that way, as I feel that is "the sound" that was intended in the first place. Did try a 20 wire set on it several years ago but went back to the 42's....and I'm happy with it.