Gretsch 4x14 snare - import model

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Hello,

I came across a 4x14 Gretsch square badge but it's an import. 8 lugs. I am wondering if anyone has any info on it.

I have a 4x14 10 lug in red camphor from the early 2000's and I am guessing this is from the same era. Definitely not made in the USA. Just has the regular square Gretsch badge without the "USA" designation.

Are these "good"? Can they be modified to sound good? Thanks, and stay safe!

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Can they be modified to sound good?
Don't assume they sound bad they sound the best they can sound with stock heads and stock wires; like anything else; tension it the best you can to your taste; not sure what possible modification is imaginable. Pretty sure you're not going to insert gum plies, or substitute a 3 ply shell, add gladstone tube lugs, or paint it Cadillac green and turn it into a 1950s Max Roach.
It is what It is.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
JDA, sorry my inquiry was unclear. I have the red camphor one (10 lug, brass hardware) and know its origin. Thanks for the PDF.

My question was about a natural maple 4x14 with the same silver square non-USA badge - 8 lugs, chrome hardware. Wondering if that would be similar to the red camphor? I have seen a few red camphor's for sale, but never seen a modern (or even an import) Gretsch 4x14 that wasn't a vintage drum.

I agree no real mod can be done - I was thinking refinish and maybe inside poly or wax edges. I prefer the 8 lug vs. 10 lug so I am thinking about selling the red camphor. Thanks.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
My question was about a natural maple 4x14
They must have slipped in an 8 lug without any announcement. Coming from outside source may not had any control. I don't even see a part number for an import 8L 4 X 14. But it may have been on an older website or in a leaflet sometime. No fanfare tho,

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
4x14 Max Roach/Progressive Jazz snares are 8 lug drums. I have two of the import variety and they are 10 lug drums. They sound great though. Mine are an all maple shell from the "full range" series. I have a round badge one and also a square badge that I ordered new in 2005 or so. Both 8 lug drums, Jasper type maple gum shells, also great.

Last edited:

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
I have one, natural maple, with weird lugs. I will find it and snap a pic. It has silver sealer and square badge. Maybe custom shop?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here are the four I have. I rewrapped the two Full Range ones to match sets. One is Silver Glass and the other in Super Tangerine. Both were originally natural maple. The RB Progressive Jazz is original Black Lacquer and the USA Custom drum (from around 2005) is Burnt Orange. I took this family portrait around a decade ago. The pewter colored square badge missing the "USA" on each side of the grommet denoted imported drums at the time those were purchased.

4x4x14b.jpg

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Similar to what my two that I rewrapped looked like originally. I would guess that was a slightly less expensive version given the 8 lug set-up and (even more so) the triple flange hoops instead of die-casts. Probably the same all maple shell though.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are the four I have. I rewrapped the two Full Range ones to match sets. One is Silver Glass and the other in Super Tangerine. Both were originally natural maple. The RB Progressive Jazz is original Black Lacquer and the USA Custom drum (from around 2005) is Burnt Orange. I took this family portrait around a decade ago. The pewter colored square badge missing the "USA" on each side of the grommet denoted imported drums at the time those were purchased.
14x4 isn't a common size but you seem to have cornered the market on them! What is it about them that you prefer to the more popular 5 and 6.5" depths?

Latest posts