Gretsch 4x14 snare (NOT the Max Roach/vintage RB ones!)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, just looking for a modern 4x14 - 8 lugs, import preferred - for sale or trade.....square badge, non-USA made.....shell or entire drum...thanks!

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
($99 new back 20+ years ago) My Taiwanese Max Roach 4 X 14:
until I get a real one.
not mine ...I have one like it
~

another on Reverb definitely not bargain -priced.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, JDA. I want to stick to Gretsch right now and I have a 10 lug 4x14. I'm looking for an 8 lugger......

Reactions: JDA

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think that second one that JDA listed is the exact sort you're looking for and the price is not outrageous. I bought two of those years ago that I rewrapped to match sets (no, not for sale) and they are a good drum. As far as I know Gretsch will still build you a new USA 4x14 but it ain't cheap. I have one of those as well...and the "real deal" too.

The two in front are the same as the Gretsch drum JDA posted...after being wrapped by me. Oops I see it has been sold.

4x4x14bf.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
KO, I missed that one, too!

I have one of those 10 lug "rare" red camphor import ones. I prefer 8 lugs but I can live with 10. But it has the P33-style butt plate and a modern throw like your red one in front. I have an extra Microsensitive throw I'd like to swap out but don't want to make new holes. I may just have to cut down one of my 5" shells or just buy a new shell...thanks.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
KO, I missed that one, too!

I have one of those 10 lug "rare" red camphor import ones. I prefer 8 lugs but I can live with 10. But it has the P33-style butt plate and a modern throw like your red one in front. I have an extra Microsensitive throw I'd like to swap out but don't want to make new holes. I may just have to cut down one of my 5" shells or just buy a new shell...thanks.
The silver one has a different throw, more like a small P-85 style. The orange is like a Lightning style. I prefer the other one which you can't really see in the picture.
Microsensitives can be problematic on 4" shells unless you have the right one. I believe they made a shorter version for the shallow drums.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the head's up. I do have a small Ludwig style throw......I may mess with it to see if can be all Gretsch but if not, oh well......