Gretsch and Remo?

dingaling

Reaction score
I have a 20” Gretsch square badge bass. The drum came with an Evan’s calf tone head. I wanted to switch to Remo clear classic head but I could only find a coated classic head which was fine.

The first head had a dimple in the edge from the manufacturer (meaning not from shipping). Pic below.

I was able to get another free of charge but it doesn’t fit right. One side has too much space and the other none at all. You can also see this looking at where it sits on the hoop. Pics below.

The Evan’s calf tone fits like a glass shoe on Snow White, perfect. So I ordered a new Evan’s bass head. I’m new to Evan’s but it seems to work best with this drum. It’s in round.

Attachments

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remo is said to have bouts of occasional quality control issues. I’ve only had maybe 4 heads that weren’t perfect after 3 decades of playing.

I wouldn’t discredit them as a brand based on the experience like some do. They make great heads.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too much of a gap on one side, and not enough on the other means you're not seating it correctly. Split the difference. What am I missing here?

dingaling

Reaction score
Too much of a gap on one side, and not enough on the other means you're not seating it correctly. Split the difference. What am I missing here?
I’ve been playing 35 years. I know how to put a bass head on. It’s the head, not me or the drum.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Remo looks fine to me. As long as it fits, I would not sweat it. And I'm not just saying that because I love Remo and don't like Evans.........the hoop should cover it just fine. But glad the Evans works for you, too.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been playing 35 years. I know how to put a bass head on. It’s the head, not me or the drum.
When I asked, "What am I missing here?" I meant it sincerely. If you want help, give us more detail. Did you check the shell, flesh hoop, and hoop to see if all is in round? What have you done for troubleshooting, so we don't have to rehash solutions.

Last edited:

dingaling

Reaction score
I guess I never stated what I was asking about. I’m just wondering if other Gretsch drum owners have same issue.

The collar of the Evans head fits around the bass hoop perfectly flush. The Remo is way off. Wondering if Remo is not compatible with Gretsch or if this is a one off Remo issue.

Most of my kits are older Sonor and Remo has been fine but those shells are likely undersized, especially compared to gretsch’s oversized.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Completing a DFO search for “Gretsch” and “oversized” may provide information and opinions you seek. Evans has been making heads that fit some larger sized drums since 2013.

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is your issue that the hoop sits nicely on the metal hoop of the Evans head, but not on the Remo? This has to do with the inner diameter of the hoop vs the shape of the head collar. I had this issue with my Sonor Teardrop bass drum. My 20" Gretsch RB bass drum has non-original hoops, and they have a small 45 degree cut on the inside to fit Remo heads. Here's a pic of the Teradrop bass drum:

IMG_0358-before.JPG