Gretsch Ash Soan signature snare

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It was the first vid to pop up on my YT feed today! This, along with pretty much anything Soan bangs on sounds... well... bang on. This just created a need I didn't have a few minutes ago. If only it came "talent included" the order would already be placed. I trust my local drumshop (Timpano percussion) to soon have one on display.

It seems like a wasted marketing opportunity though that his sig snare isn't made out of Ash wood. Then again, some Immature idiots such as myself would have probably made "below the belt" jokes about it ;-)

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This was made indeed because he always plays the Noonan Purpleheart, which Noonan sells as signature model too.

1641894641436.jpeg

The original prototype from the early/mid 90’s:
1641894681120.png

Last edited:

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Info from Gretsch's website:

Ash Soan is one of today’s most in-demand drummers, so Gretsch was super excited to work with him creating this amazing signature snare drum. Ash’s super eclectic work calls for a snare of unparalleled versatility… and that is precisely what this is. Working at his historic Windmill Recording Studio there are a variety of sonic goals and this unique drum provides everything he needs to meet the needs of his clients. This 12” Purpleheart snare drum has already been heard on several recordings and Instagram videos and many drummers have asked him about it. Well, now you can have this exact sound for yourself. We are proud to introduce the Ash Soan Signature Snare Drum.

This breakthrough drum starts with a 9-ply 7x12” Purpleheart shell finished in clear gloss lacquer. Its double 45 degree bearing edges significantly increase the attack, creating an ultra-cutting crack. Additional features based on Ash’s specs include our 4mm Die Cast hoops and our classic Lightning throw-off. Each snare has an inside identification label specifying the year of production and each is signed by Ash himself.

- 9-Ply 7x12" Purpleheart shell
- Double 45 degree bearing edges
- 4mm Die Cast hoops
- Lightning throw-off and butt plate
- Inside label signed by Ash Soan

Attachments

• GAS0712-ASH.png
    GAS0712-ASH.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 5

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like it, but I’m more into 13” snares if I’m going with high and tight type of thing. I’m sticking with my Yamaha Jordan snare for that. If money was not an issue, I would consider one though.

Also, since I’m into switching out snares during a set…6.5 depth is more preferred due to having other drums in that same depth.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
This was made indeed because he always plays the Noonan Purpleheart, which Noonan sells as signature model too.

View attachment 537493

The original prototype from the early/mid 90’s:
View attachment 537494
Looks like the Noonan has the triple flanged hoops, so I believe that’s a big difference right there. I like triple flanged on wood snares…more open.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like the Noonan has the triple flanged hoops, so I believe that’s a big difference right there. I like triple flanged on wood snares…more open.
Also the Noonan is Stave, that is makes all the difference too.

I prefer the Noonan tbh.

I like die-cast hoops but on larger snares like 13'' and 15''.

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Still not as amazing as Brady 12x7 block, but it's kinda in the same realm. I mean, any thick shell 12x7 cranked up is going to give you that vibe (especially with die casts). Big question - what's the price?

flurbs

Reaction score
Still not as amazing as Brady 12x7 block, but it's kinda in the same realm. I mean, any thick shell 12x7 cranked up is going to give you that vibe (especially with die casts). Big question - what's the price?

Make sure you're sitting down when you find out. (The Gretsch). It's a LOT of coin for a ply shell 12" snare with the same old lugs, strainer, head and hoops. I hope this isn't a sign of the new normal for new drums.

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Make sure you're sitting down when you find out. (The Gretsch). It's a LOT of coin for a ply shell 12" snare with the same old lugs, strainer, head and hoops. I hope this isn't a sign of the new normal for new drums.

Yup. I just saw it for $849.00 from Sweetwater. Yeah, that would be a pass from me. As Jack mentioned, you can get a Noonan for less money, which Ash played for years, and this drum is based on. Also, there's quite a few excellent stave builders in North America who can build you one for par, or less, and you'll have more choices on finishes, hardware, etc. IMO, if you want this type of drum, for that sound, stave is the way to go.